Wet suits and dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this thread still have a point/topic? If so, can a mod restore the title to something more meaningful?

Does this thread still have a point/topic? If so, can a mod restore the title to something more meaningful?
In the most general sense it is about exposure suits. It started out life as a 'wetsuit vs drysuit' discussion, a user brought 'birthday suits' into it, etc. It got a bit off-topic, a quarry diving discussion was split off, and the exposure suit discussion continued. Through a rather convoluted set of circumstances, it got re-titled as 'Deleted' which I agree made no sense, and I have fixed that. Otherwise, the discussion can proceed as participants, including the OP, direct.

I vote for Bluegill Breastfeeding.

At the risk of mis-characterizing, the original post was mainly a report on a divers first "wet" diving. She had always dived dry.

She expressed some of the benefits of wetsuit over drysuit. But the discussion got off on a tangent on the particular merits of quarry diving.

I have no dog in the quarry issue. But I am interested in the wetsuit v drysuit issue. I dive wet in NorCal, where many folks prefer to dive dry. Its mostly a lack of funds thing for me, but I really dont mind diving wet.

Drysuits just seem like an added hassle to me.

Anybody else dive wet in drysuit country? Im especially interested in folks who own a drysuit, but will still use a wetsuit simpy because they prefer them.

Locally I only do ~1 hour shore dives, not long multi-tank dives, so I just dont see a big need for a drysuit.

Maybe I will get a drysuit someday, but if Im gonna spend money on this hobby, I'd prob buy a boss video system first, and maybe get into kayak diving second, before I'd buy a drysuit.

I know people who dive throughout the winter in a semi dry in a cold, deep Ohio quarry, even in the depths of winter when their equipment is icing over as soon as they get out of the water.

I like it warm but dive wet in Monterey, CA, not sure if this is dry suit country, but maybe the border of it. But I have a custom 20/10 farmer john and beavertail. I got into scientific diving here and did not want to add dry suit cost and learning curve at the time. I am happy diving my wet suit here, it seems simpler. I am tempted by dry though. Many days with two one hour dives of 55 degrees ~30' I do not notice much. Some years our students in normal wet suits are quickly worn out from cold. With reef check, a two day local boat trip of six one hour dives to 60' 50 degrees left just the drysuit divers and I still diving. I was beat thought. Those with more normal wetsuits were already frozen in the cabin. Semi dry with ice forming on you, that's tough.

If funds allowed, I'd be diving dry in anything colder than 60F. Currently I dive an 8/7/6 semi dry, which is comfortable down to 55ish for me. I've worn it as cold as 44F, and it was a shock at first but I settled into it fine for the short time at that temp. On a longer dive, I'd have to go with something warmer though.

Last edited:
I made 800 dives in wetsuits, including many dives when shivering during long deco stops were the norm. My buddies were all in drysuits so when I was able to afford one I began diving dry. I gave my wetsuit away about 1500 dives ago.

I prefer diving wet, but when the air temps are cold (70f and below), I chose to dive dry. More than one dive a day, I also prefer dry.

My only wetsuit diving back home was the pool sessions during my OW class. After that, it's been exclusively dry. I can count on one finger the number of persons I know in the local diving community who dives wet, and we often have to make special accommodations for him on club outings. I doubt if anyone will ever see me diving wet around here. I prefer being dry and warm during the SI.

But it is rather nice to skip the drysuit when I'm diving abroad in warmer waters.

Back
Top Bottom