Whaleshark trip week of July 18-26?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay...I just clicked your link. Yes, that is the trip I took. It is very good. You will be happy with them.

On the boat, the lunch consists of the biggest Bowl of Shrimp Ceviche I have ever seen. It was fresh and delicious. Also, had fruit, cheese, juice, bread and crackers. They made so much Ceviche that there was a lot left over. So, if you have a big appetite you will be well fed. However, if you don't like shrimp ceviche you will starve!

From what I remember there was no breakfast. Just hot coffee in the van on the way up there. Have fun!

Also: to clarify...they had two guides on our boat and the captain. We had 9 customers...one guy was sick last minute (only allowed to have 10 max) So, there were actually 4 people in the water at any given time. Two with each guide. We each got 3 passes in the water. Believe it or not...there were so many whale sharks, that even if you just stayed on the boat you would have gotten the best look at these creatures ever. Some people even opted NOT to get back in on their last pass because they liked the view from the boat. Of course they were not scuba divers!

Thanks. I'd heard that too but I seriously doubt they'll only take us if we have 7 so we might as well be on a crowded boat with people from our group. :D
They will take you. They always fill the extra spaces on the van/ boat with tourists from somewhere. You are going during prime time.
However, if you book all 10 spaces you won't have to waste time picking up other people from their resorts and you will be getting to the pier in Cancun that much earlier! You could even make the twilight dive back at Blue Angel without any problem if there is a 3 or 4 PM ferry back to Cozumel!

I am being serious. If the whale sharks are around Contoy you will be done early. It will take only one hour to get to them from the pier. In the briefing at the pier they tell you it could take up to 3 hours to spot them. Hopefully they are around Contoy. That makes it an easy breezy trip.:D

Whale Shark Tour - Ecotourism and ecotravel in the Mayan World of the Yucatan Peninsula
This is who guided the whale shark tour. But, I booked it with Tank Ha in Playa Del Carmen. You guys are really getting a good deal at $185 and it is 100% guarantee. However, the guarantee means if you do not see a whale shark (which you will) they will take you back out there, till you see one. But, sounds like they always see at least one, this time of year, many more than that.

The ferry is no big deal...easy to do...takes about 40 minutes max. Feels like less. I took it round trip on 3 occassions while I was there. Cost is 140 Peso one way. Just buy one way ticket, so you are not stuck on a certain time frame coming back.

Are you going to Holbox with Tank Ha? I have not clicked the link you posted but will do that now.

Mary

Thanks! We're looking at probably going to Isla Contoy to see them with Tank Ha. I noticed that their gaurantee doesn't say what happens if you don't see any, but I found others that say you get your money back if not. Hmmmmmm.

two guides on our boat and the captain. We had 9 customers...one guy was sick last minute (only allowed to have 10 max) So, there were actually 4 people in the water at any given time.
Ok that's totally different. Always good to have info from someone who has done the tour lately. Viva la Scubaboard.

Thanks! We're looking at probably going to Isla Contoy to see them with Tank Ha. I noticed that their gaurantee doesn't say what happens if you don't see any, but I found others that say you get your money back if not. Hmmmmmm.

I honestly don't think you need to worry about that. I know when I asked they said "You get to go again". I have a brochure somewhere I will try to find it. I am wearing eco tours t-shirt right now. Had to dig it out of my suitcase. That is how I found their web site to post on this thread. I really liked them. They do everything by the book, and they really seem to care about the whale sharks. Their briefing was informative and thorough.

One suggestion. If you have a skin with you...bring it. Everyone has to wear a life vest (thin life vest). I wore mine UNDER my skin. Made it more streamlined in the water and less restrictive. I noticed the guides did NOT wear life vests.
But did wear shorties or wet suit. I went along with the life vest requirement because there were non divers on the boat and did not want to be difficult. And I think it is a requirement of the government. They also have to fly a certain flag on their boat that says they are allowed to conduct whale shark snorkels. So, there are definite rules in place that must be followed.

Bring your snorkel, mask and fins as well. They supply them, but probably not as good as diving equipment.

You may be able to ask if you can wear just the wet suit without life vest if you are all divers. Not sure if it is allowed. Just FYI

Mary

Also, Tank Ha is a good group of people. I also dove cenotes through them. My Dive Master was Roman Graff. I highly, highly recommend him for cenotes. He taught me so much in one afternoon! Can't say enough good things about him.

Tell Tank Ha folks hello for me if you talk to any of them. Tell them Mary with the hurt finger referred you!!

Mary

Thanks for all the great info Mary! Ceviche is NOT a problem for me! :wink:

I was wondering about the life jacket requirement as well. Some people have said they will let you get by with just a wetsuit since it provides floatation, but I didn't see that on any web site. I hope it's true so I can at least get down a little for some pics. We'll definitely be bringing our own mask snorkel and fins. I can't imagine ever using rental equipment again besides tanks. I even bring my gear as my carry on in case the airline loses my checked bag! Who needs clothes in Cozumel when you've got dive gear? :D

P.S. We'll remember to tell them you sent us!

I can see where PFDs would slow you down swimming. Some of our boats wore them, some wore wet suits instead which would be less drag. I wonder if that varies with Ops?

We have snorkel vests in my family which I try to encouraging using in some cases. I get funny looks wearing mine on a dive boat at times, but such doesn't bother me. Man-overboard and boat accidents are deadly threats so I often do. Anyway, I took another for my dive bud and we just used those with skins.

hi- post 10 had some interesting info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom