What are your favorite/most important pool drills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crewfish13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I had my first opportunity to get into my in-laws' pool with my new gear last weekend, and figured that I ought to make sure I'm comfortable in the 62-degree water before I fork over the money for a tank/fill. So, Friday night, I tried to get into my thick wetsuit and fail (thighs are too big and/or I need some suit lube). Not to be deterred, I grab my 3mm steamer, mask, snorkel, boots and fins, and hop in. Well, 62 is a little cold for a 3mm suit. I didn't feel like working on my shivering skills over the weekend, so no tank for me. Not to worry, though, as the weather's getting warmer and they're having a heater put in next week.

I realized, though, that I'll probably jump into the pool, descend to 9 feet, and wonder "now what?" I'm naturally very comfortable in water, and could lose my regs and take off my mask until the cows come home, but wouldn't learn anything I don't already know. Being the only diver in the pool, OOA isn't really possible, unless spitting out my primary and switching to my octo counts. So, here's what I've got so far:
  • Buoyancy/trim
  • Controlled swimming ascents
  • Frogkick
  • Backkick
  • Helicopter turns

Any other recommendations, or things that are simply fun to do?

Buoyancy and body control. Try hovering in a variety of positions, including head down. (I call it the trumpet fish). When my wife and I mark pool time we also do no mask swims, and gear removal and replacement, as it is a safe environment to practice that skill.
DivemasterDennis

The old "ditch 'n don" drill: throw all your gear into the deep end, free-dive down and put-it-all on. . .

Not sure of the real life applicability of this skill anymore . . .but it was a fun challenge doing it back-in-the-day.

(May want mount & charge up the regualtor on your tank first before throwing both in to prevent water intrusion into the first stage. . .)

Swimming underwater, breathing with reg/ no mask
Clearing mask umpteen times
Ditching weight
Ditching buddies weight
Disconect inflator on BC
Donate octo/swim
Buddy breathing
+1 on ditch and don ( my favorite)

Put a stick (maybe a chopstick?) into some kind of stabilizing base. Hover with one finger touching the stick. Now hover with your nose on it . . . (This is actually a drill one of my cave instructors uses.)

Hover, close your eyes, and count to 30. See if you are at the same depth, and in the same orientation as when you started.

Put a stick (maybe a chopstick?) into some kind of stabilizing base. Hover with one finger touching the stick. Now hover with your nose on it . . . (This is actually a drill one of my cave instructors uses.)

Hover, close your eyes, and count to 30. See if you are at the same depth, and in the same orientation as when you started.
. . .And if you're really good, do a ditch-'n-don as well as holding station and closing eyes per the drill above . . .:rofl3:

Tuck into a ball, and do a rotating somersault while holding your depth. Not really a useful skill, just something to show off. :D

Also if you do a ditch and don at depth, don't forget you still have to exhale on your way up.

i really like the head down bouyancy control. you only think you have good control until you try it upsidedown.

The old "ditch 'n don" drill: throw all your gear into the deep end, free-dive down and put-it-all on. . .

Not sure of the real life applicability of this skill anymore . . .but it was a fun challenge doing it back-in-the-day.

I'd forgotten about that one. My OW instructor would get us all into the pool, throw his gear into the deep end (9'), and we'd all hang out while watching him don all the gear at the bottom of the deep end. Impressed the heck out of me.

I would have never thought of that! I'm sure I'm not that pinpoint accurate yet, but it's never too early to start working on it. Great suggestion.

Tuck into a ball, and do a rotating somersault while holding your depth. Not really a useful skill, just something to show off. :D

Also if you do a ditch and don at depth, don't forget you still have to exhale on your way up.
Actually, for drysuit divers a VERY useful skill as its a way to get air out of your floaty feet :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom