What are your personal limits as a solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
I saw the opposite occur recently, someone based solo diving and a couple solo divers, including 1 mod, beat down on him... I was impressed.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on telling people you are solo diving, although if you talk about it on the DIR board, then you might be rightfully accused of trolling, unless you are "pseudo-DIR-esque" in all other aspects I suppose.

I think that it is frowned upon because of the following, there are alot of new divers with limited experience in diving. To talk about solo diving or how it is accomplished would lead them into an arena way too soon and could lead to an accident/incident that no one wants.

DMP:
I think that it is frowned upon because of the following, there are alot of new divers with limited experience in diving. To talk about solo diving or how it is accomplished would lead them into an arena way too soon and could lead to an accident/incident that no one wants.

I know what you mean but other threads could do the same thing - tech diving, deep wrecks, penetration, advanced techniques, etc.

DMP:
I have ran into some on other threads, I do not know if they will join this one though. The only problem is you can't advertise outside of this one.......MOD beat down will occur
?????? I wasn't aware that mentioning solo diving outside of this forum incurs 'Mod beat down'! Not everyone feels the same way about solo diving though - so threads outside of this forum don't enjoy the same 'protection' as they do here. If discussions get too heated - then the Mods will step in. This is also true for DIR and UW Hunting - both of which also have protected forums as well. If SB was anti solo diving then I doubt we'd have a forum where people can discuss it without fear of attack. Diving solo carries it's own set of responsibilities and is not for everyone. It is not something to be bandied about lightly, and IMO not something that new inexperienced divers should be misled about.

Kim:
?????? I wasn't aware that mentioning solo diving outside of this forum incurs 'Mod beat down'! Not everyone feels the same way about solo diving though - so threads outside of this forum don't enjoy the same 'protection' as they do here. If discussions get too heated - then the Mods will step in. This is also true for DIR and UW Hunting - both of which also have protected forums as well. If SB was anti solo diving then I doubt we'd have a forum where people can discuss it without fear of attack. Diving solo carries it's own set of responsibilities and is not for everyone. It is not something to be bandied about lightly, and IMO not something that new inexperienced divers should be misled about.
Kim, i think he means Mod beat down on advertising which charters run solo-friendly and advertising of those charters would be against some rule. An honest discussion has been held on a few charters around Florida that i know of, none was blatent advertising, not many went into bashing, but its a fine line and i can see why these guys are hesitant about bringing it up in case. I think that is why he mentioned Mod's in that response - correct me if i am wrong DMP, but thats what i got from your post.

simbrooks:
Kim, i think he means Mod beat down on advertising which charters run solo-friendly and advertising of those charters would be against some rule. An honest discussion has been held on a few charters around Florida that i know of, none was blatent advertising, not many went into bashing, but its a fine line and i can see why these guys are hesitant about bringing it up in case. I think that is why he mentioned Mod's in that response - correct me if i am wrong DMP, but thats what i got from your post.

Your not wrong... :wink: thanks for clearing that up

DMP:
Your not wrong... :wink: thanks for clearing that up
Phew. :wink:

Well news from the backroom seems to be that you are ok to discuss (not flame or promote to your own ends) charters that are solo diver friendly. It might be worthwhile in a new thread to avoid going too off topic though (just a thought) and keep it civil :wink:

DA Aquamaster:
Conditions and locations I am familiar and comfortable with, depth no deeper than 150 ft and run times no more than about 45 minutes with doubles, accellerated deco, and rule of thirds air planning. With proper configuration, redundancy and training, I don't personally see the need for a depth restriction as long as you remain well within your ability and comfort zone.

I actually prefer deep diving solo to deep diving with a buddy as it eliminates 1/2 the risk of failure, all the potential communication issues,and reduces the task loading required to keep track of a buddy.

Hi
Back to the thread.
I use the same rules when diving, and all my dives are solo, regardless if I am with some one or not.
If you can not take care of your self you are no help to anyone else.
However I have gone through all the postings in this thread and can only think of one other factor that has not been mentioned.
To service your own equipment.
To know in your own mind that your equipment will not fail, because you have the knowledge to properly check and maintain your gear before every dive.
My last TRUE buddy dive, was when I had just had my regs serviced at local dive shop and had them fail closed at 65 feet ,with my buddy 20 feet in front of me, with a hood on.
I am hamerring on my tank with butt of knife, to get buddys attention, who hears nothing, as I grab for my pony reg, that had been serviced at the same time.
First breath resulted in freeflow but still got me to surface in a controlled ascent.
I found out, in a regulator course, that the shop had just cleaned the hoses to make them look like they were serviced, and handed them back to me.
Now I trust no one with my gear, and it gives me peace of mind!

bottomrunner:
Hi
Back to the thread.
I use the same rules when diving, and all my dives are solo, regardless if I am with some one or not.
If you can not take care of your self you are no help to anyone else.
However I have gone through all the postings in this thread and can only think of one other factor that has not been mentioned.
To service your own equipment.
To know in your own mind that your equipment will not fail, because you have the knowledge to properly check and maintain your gear before every dive.
My last TRUE buddy dive, was when I had just had my regs serviced at local dive shop and had them fail closed at 65 feet ,with my buddy 20 feet in front of me, with a hood on.
I am hamerring on my tank with butt of knife, to get buddys attention, who hears nothing, as I grab for my pony reg, that had been serviced at the same time.
First breath resulted in freeflow but still got me to surface in a controlled ascent.
I found out, in a regulator course, that the shop had just cleaned the hoses to make them look like they were serviced, and handed them back to me.
Now I trust no one with my gear, and it gives me peace of mind!

I like your thinking....but I am curious...did you breath off all regs prior to splash? Did you find the specific cause of the failure after the dive?

matt_unique:
I like your thinking....but I am curious...did you breath off all regs prior to splash? Did you find the specific cause of the failure after the dive?

HI
yes I did
Also put an intermediate pressure gauge on each reg to check pressure
The failure was because, after a hard year of diving, the lube around the piston in the first stage wore off, it was a 50/50 chance where it was going to seize, and for me it was on the closed side
your regs are fail safe only when properly serviced

Also if it was an issue with the service, and have poof they did no service, you need to report them so others don't fall into the same trap.

Back
Top Bottom