What back up gear do you take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi:

If you are going on a week long liveaboard, miles away from service centers, repairs and diveshops, what back up gear do you usually take? A spare mask? Save a dive kit? back up regulator? Curious.

Cheers -

CS

If the boat has backup regs and BC and such, I don't bother bringing anything extra like that. What I bring is anything very unique to me, like Akimbo said, prescription mask--I don't use one of those, but that's the philosophy. It's rare to have someone else with that same script in a lense, just like I don't expect someone to have extra battery chargers for my camera, or a spare strobe. But, because they are spares, I bring a knockoff cheap charger, and a smaller model of strobe. I also bring a full service kit of housing orings.

For diving where I don't have to take a plane, and thus can take far more equipment, rather than take a service kit, I just bring an extra regulator. Comes in handy, but anytime I have to slim down, I can deal with diving a regulator that's borrowed and not my favourite.

Was recently on the Kona Aggressor. A few folks did experience some issues. They provided a replacement SPF for one and a primary/secondary for another. Seems they draw from available inboard rental equipment at no charge. Great service and divers didn't miss a dive.

So agree bring backup computer so you maintain your dive tracking and loading as well as anything else special to you.

i took 19cu pony as solo backup and again they were happy to keep air topped up during the trip.

top notch service top knotch trip and experience so much to say heading to belize with them in a few weeks.

Backup dive computer that I take on every dive.
Minimal save a dive kit.
Always have extra set of camera batteries and o rings.
Spare non prescription mask.
the dive boat has just about everything else.

Basic save-a-dive kit
Extra mask that fits both my wife and myself
Extra camera and housing (my old point & shoot)

Depending on where we're going, we usually also bring some extra exposure protection items (hood, core warmer, etc.) that let us adjust for warmer or cooler than expected water temps.

James

Similar advice. Things that are unique to me, would prevent me from enjoying the trip and are easy to carry(weight and cost is the issue).

For me on a liveaboard that is spare mask, spare camera flash card, charger and battery, o-rings for camera housing and ports and spare sync cord for the strobe. My backup reg is almost as good as my primary so if one goes I can use the other and then borrow whatever from the boat as a secondary. Same with a computer. If mine dies, most liveaboards have spares. You might lose a dive or two depending on your profiles, but not a catastrophy. If the strobe dies, I will work without it. Happened one trip - got some really interesting shots from that trip. Camera dies - catastrophy - but can still dive.

Hi:

If you are going on a week long liveaboard, miles away from service centers, repairs and diveshops, what back up gear do you usually take? A spare mask? Save a dive kit? back up regulator? Curious.

Cheers -

CS

Among my list of 'spares' I bring:

extra mask
extra complete reg set (inc computer/SPG)
spare 'loose' SPG with HP hose
mouthpieces
zip ties/zip tie 'gun'
complete BCD inflator assembly ready to just screw into the wing (inc spare inflator LP hose, corrugated hose, power inflator)
spare OPV (for BCD wing)
2 spare weight pocket inserts
mask defog (several bottles)
spare assorted batteries/travel power strip/charger
small tool set (adjustable wrenches/needle nose pliers, allen wrenches, picks, Leatherman folding multitool)
spare assorted O-rings/lube
small digital scale
(3) SMBs
signal mirror
whistle
Nautilus Lifeline
Jotron strobe
(3) lights
(3) pairs dive socks
(2) beenies
gloves
blunt tip knife
titanium line cutting tool
aligator clips (for hanging wet things)
bungies for securing tanks

.........just a few things that immediately spring to mind.......there's more where that came from....... :)

Among my list of 'spares' I bring:

extra mask
extra complete reg set (inc computer/SPG)
spare 'loose' SPG with HP hose
mouthpieces
zip ties/zip tie 'gun'
complete BCD inflator assembly ready to just screw into the wing (inc spare inflator LP hose, corrugated hose, power inflator)
spare OPV (for BCD wing)
2 spare weight pocket inserts
mask defog (several bottles)
spare assorted batteries/travel power strip/charger
small tool set (adjustable wrenches/needle nose pliers, allen wrenches, picks, Leatherman folding multitool)
spare assorted O-rings/lube
small digital scale
(3) SMBs
signal mirror
whistle
Nautilus Lifeline
Jotron strobe
(3) lights
(3) pairs dive socks
(2) beenies
gloves
blunt tip knife
titanium line cutting tool
aligator clips (for hanging wet things)
bungies for securing tanks

.........just a few things that immediately spring to mind.......there's more where that came from....... :)

A lot of thing in there make a lot of sense but then there is other stuff which is ....:confused:

How many bags do you need to fit all this?

Back
Top Bottom