What can or does your LDS need to do to EARN your business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't worked with an LDS yet that wasn't downright awful dealing with mundane details, time management, planning, and organization.

Even the dive center I'm dealing with right now is very poor in communicating with paying customers. They forget important details, answer half the questions without addressing specific concerns, and appear to be frustrated by diligence and thoroughness. I already know I'll probably never use this dive center again, and I haven't even met them yet.

Of all the great things about the diving industry... the overall professionalism, attention to detail, and follow-thru are weak if not embarrassing.

IMO if you as a LDS provide great VALUE to your customers by way of knowledge sharing, great friendly customer service, and follow through then you earn my business. My LDS provides all three and I will buy local every time. That value is worth the extra money to me and I am sure many customers out there feel the same.

For example: I ordered a BC from my LDS and it took two extra weeks to be delivered which was out of the control of the LDS. Without asking for anything my LDS owner gave me a BC and two tanks at no charge because he felt bad. That kind of unsolicited service is exactly what wins over customers IMO.

Help new divers get out diving! Have connections with dive clubs, etc, and be helpful about getting divers hooked up with others in the area. As a new diver, if I don't have anybody to dive with, well, I'm not going to bother with buying equipment yet. But a shop owner can be really helpful in this regard.

I visited two dives shops this week. Both times, I introduced myself, let them know I was newly certified. I said I was new to ocean diving in cold water and was looking for DMs/whoever to lead a few orientation dives or just some experienced divers to buddy up with. Shop A told me (I kid you not) to try the internet. No further specifics, just "try the internet". (Obviously, I already know about the internet. I wanted some personal recommendations.) Shop B gave me the names and websites of a couple local dive clubs and told me a bit about their instructors and activities.

Let's just say that I'm annoyed enough that I probably won't go back to Shop A. But I felt really welcome hanging out at Shop B. I'll definitely be back there, and I even had them go ahead and order me a wetsuit to get started.

Help new divers get out diving! Have connections with dive clubs, etc, and be helpful about getting divers hooked up with others in the area. As a new diver, if I don't have anybody to dive with, well, I'm not going to bother with buying equipment yet. But a shop owner can be really helpful in this regard.

I visited two dives shops this week. Both times, I introduced myself, let them know I was newly certified. I said I was new to ocean diving in cold water and was looking for DMs/whoever to lead a few orientation dives or just some experienced divers to buddy up with. Shop A told me (I kid you not) to try the internet. No further specifics, just "try the internet". (Obviously, I already know about the internet. I wanted some personal recommendations.) Shop B gave me the names and websites of a couple local dive clubs and told me a bit about their instructors and activities.

Let's just say that I'm annoyed enough that I probably won't go back to Shop A. But I felt really welcome hanging out at Shop B. I'll definitely be back there, and I even had them go ahead and order me a wetsuit to get started.

This is a very good point. I belong to a local dive club that is quite active. We have monthly meetings and other natural & conservation events throughout the year. From May to October, you'll find us at the local quarry with several official events and about every week unofficially. We also seem to be one of the only groups locally that can fill a dive charter regularly. We have about 60 active members about half of whom dive locally.

But, and here's the kicker, apparently there are local shops that are unwilling to mention us or hang up a flier for us because they are afraid of competition for their shop's dive club. I think that's extremely short sighted. Sure, your customers may find out about other shops or gear you don't offer. And some may decide they only have time for one club and pick ours. But on the other hand, we may turn some of your customers into regular local divers who need gear, fills, and service. (Think dry suits!) Or they may see a presentation on a dive destination and book it through you.

The point of all of this is that a shop should look to grow the diving community in the area and let the rest follow from being a good shop rather than trying to pigeonhole and control their diving experience.

+1 to attitude, friendliness, respect, service, etc...

Also:

Accept that your customers will get their gear from a number of dealers - online, competing shops, ebay... Loosing a single deal to the competition isn't a good reason to chase the customer away.

Correct, maybe the customer didnt even know you were there!!! So advertise somehow. I work in a power equipment dealership, and I am amazed with how many people that live in this town (not columbus, but a suburb of it) that had no idea we were here!! I know this because they usually have 'I had no idea you were even here' as one of their statements!! And this is with equipment sitting outside during hours, advertising in the local paper (which the advertising in this city / area is just obscene, and by that I mean $$$$$ expensive)

But yes, deal with the fact people WILL buy some stuff online, and dont let it detract.

And yes... "attitude, friendliness, respect, service, etc...". If you give them that plus a FAIR price, 90% plus of the people will probably TRY to spend their money with you. Some will spend $20 to save $10 and you just have to let them go, but in a friendly and respectful way :) My local shop actually asked me how they were doing price wise, and honestly, on most of the stuff, they were right there. Sure maybe a few % here or there, but some of the other things they've done / offered me more then make up for that.

What hours are you open? It might be the same hours many of us are at work. How can a walk-in business serve people who work from 8am to 5pm if the shop is open from 10-5 weekdays?

Stop by Saturday? Maybe. A diver that needs an item for Saturday diving can order online Tuesday and have that item Friday.

I agree -- dive friendly hours are awfully nice. I am often torn between being happy that our LDS is owned and run by someone who actively DIVES, and wishing it were open at 7 am so I could pick up tanks to go and do my own diving.

What you need to do is move out of the "Big City" and go into small town America. There you will find a friendly face, a pot of coffee in the corner, time to swap stories,and oh yes by the way a good supply of quality merchandise and knowledgeable staff to assist and perform inspections and repairs will earn you a reward of faithful and loyal small town America customers..

I don't know if this has been posted or not (so many pages), but make your store a place for divers to hang out at. Allow a local club to use your store for their meetings. Or, have something that brings divers in when the weather is off season and they just want to chat. A dive store in Canada that I visited had Friday night movies. All dive related, such as home video of dive trips or professional video of wrecks in the area. Another one in MIchigan hosted a dive club's meetings.

Create an environment where people feel welcome to talk and visit and not buy and they will find things they need on the fly and invite other divers to the movie night or whatever you are hosting.

IMO, dive shops, similar to online retailers, are locked by what they sell - which manufacturers' products they carry. Unfortunately, most people do know what they want and if you don't carry it, they will go elsewhere. Most the time, if I buy online, it's because the local dive shop doesn't carry what I want. I want THIS computer, and if you don't sell it, I will find it elsewhere. To me, that is the beauty of the Internet above and beyond price. I can buy what is best for me and in my price range. The only downside is I have to wait up to 6 or 10 days depending on the item for shipping.

All I can say is THANK YOU for all your thoughts. I am just blown away by the feedback. What I am hearing I will be sharing at DEMA with my fellow dive shops and our suppliers. I will try and sum this all up so far later after I print all of this and read it, BUT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE KEY. And we need to take a deep hard look at the employees of of shops. As for me, just my wife and I in the shop and really it is just me, I am slowing down and smiling as I answer the phone and taking to heart the customer is first mantra.

Other thougts are being considered and put in place as we go.

Print this and hand it to your LDS. We can take our shops back from the "walmart" type of store.

A special thanks to the LP guy. Yes I know you offer a service to the diving community and I hope I get the chance to visit with you at Dema. I understand that BOTH business models can survive and grow our sport. And by this thread, the diving community is telling us that.

Again, please keep your ideas coming. Your LOCAL DIVE SHOPS are listening and I will promise that I keep this going to them.

You are our reason to be in business. (I know I am making a living also)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom