What can or does your LDS need to do to EARN your business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I sat in the monthly emergency room staff meeting. The nurse manager played a video called "Give 'em a Pickle", which is a customer service presentation.

I'll be the first to admit that I would much rather perform my own vasectomy than watch a customer service video. But, it turned out to be pretty darn good! Normally, nurses are able to sit still for around 17 seconds, and trying to capture their attention for anything longer than 6 minutes on any one topic is a feat in itself.

I was amazed to see that every one of the 30 nurses in the room had their attention glued to the screen (They even stopped texting!:D). The presentation is well thought out, insightful, reinforces what should be obvious, and not too deep. It would be appropriate for all levels of employees. Our entire hospital system has purchased DVD's for every single department.

You'll have to get past their dorky looking web site, but here's a link:
Give ’Em The Pickle with Bob Farrell

Disclaimer: Before today's staff meeting, I knew nothing of the above information. I have no affiliation with the company, and will not gain anything from suggesting them to you. However, if someone from the company happens to read this post, I will be more than happy to accept a CCR (closed-circuit rebreather), or a complete tri-mix fill station (with a year's worth of gas included):eyebrow:

Holy crap! I just saw how much they get for the DVD's:shocked2:.
Well, they have 5 day rentals, which are still pretty expensive.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea:shakehead:. I can also see why we didn't get raises hospital wide......all the money went towards DVD's.

After reading several posts, I can't remember who said it, so I can't quote and give proper credit, however someone just had a good point about LDS store employees. I would rather have a non-diver who knew the product as a "sales person" than a diver who pushed a certain item or acted like they knew it all.

more suggestions ...
- free Wi-Fi (you never know .... maybe a customer stops by your B&M dive store and then purchases something from your online store?)
- put a big screen TV somewhere in the store .. not just the class room ... run some cool videos ... not always the same fish swimming in circles .... images from the latest dive club get-together (do you have a dive club right?)
- have an "open kiosk" .... could be used by customers to check email/browse web/twitt/post on facebook ..... while waiting for their tank fill ... or could be used by your sales people to demonstrate some products .... like dive computers :wink:

I can give you a viewpoint from a newbie on visiting a bunch of different stores in my area when I was looking for all new gear.

1st as many people have said its personality and courtesy first. If it feels uncomfortable to look at items or like I am bothering you then I will go someplace else.

2. Have a store that is clean and well laid out. When items are just piled up and thrown everyway it looks like I am paying new prices for old gear.

3. Understand that I am looking for ways to spend my money in your store vs online and you need to help. Most everyone I know likes to go home with a new toy to play with. DON’T have signs like “If you didn’t buy it here Don’t bring it here” because I will do neither. I know you can’t carry every brand available or beat every online price so you have to understand you will not get every sale. I feel that if you can get close to an online price I will get give you my business as I feel that I can then come to you for help, repair work, and my next purchase. If your prices are way out of line I will buy elsewhere (this is no different than you would do for your shop). I know we all need to make money but be fair and honest and you will get my business.

4. Help a customer find the item he is looking for even if you don’t carry it. If you can order it for me (with a small mark up). This is your time to discuss the advantages of buying from you as opposed to ordering on line and help me understand the true cost of the purchase (don’t lie about the other purchases true cost just to make your deal look better). When it comes in, help me with tips and tricks on how to set it up (and you will get the accessory sale). I take the advice from boards like SB on which equipment to buy but still like the feeling of having a local shop to answer questions and help with setup or repair questions. If a customer buys something online invite him to bring it in and offer any tips on its use or improvements, etc. You can often sell accessories and/or improvements

5. Don’t mark something up and then when asked “cut me a deal” because I may not bother trying to haggle with you or even ask about the item.

6. Have the small items in stock at a reasonable mark up.

7. As others have said a nice used department would be great. No one wants a bunch of old junk lying around but you know as a dealer and diver what brands people would buy used and could give others a trade in value on items you think you could resell.

As others have said a nice used department would be great. No one wants a bunch of old junk lying around but you know as a dealer and diver what brands people would buy used and could give others a trade in value on items you think you could resell.

You never know what a DIYer might be able to do with old gear...it is always worth having.

more suggestions ...
- free Wi-Fi (you never know .... maybe a customer stops by your B&M dive store and then purchases something from your online store?)
- put a big screen TV somewhere in the store .. not just the class room ... run some cool videos ... not always the same fish swimming in circles .... images from the latest dive club get-together (do you have a dive club right?)
- have an "open kiosk" .... could be used by customers to check email/browse web/twitt/post on facebook ..... while waiting for their tank fill ... or could be used by your sales people to demonstrate some products .... like dive computers :wink:

These can make a well laid out store with an active community even more attractive, but a TV running videos won't build the kind of active community a store needs to be highly successful. That is more about customer service and community involvement -- in terms of making the store a welcoming place where people want to be.

I've been in a lot of dive shops, and I have my own list of what dive shops should do, and what they should realize.

1) "We can order that for you." Yeah, well, depending on the item that may be OK and may not. Example, if I want to convert a Scubapro yoke first stage to a DIN, and they don't have the parts in stock (and they will be doing the work) that's OK. If I want a 2 inch D ring and some webbing, and they don't have that, then that is not OK... why on earth would I wait for them to order something like that and then have to drive back in to pick it up when I could just order it online and have it at my house 2 days later?

2) If your employees don't know what they are talking about, unless I have no other option, I am not buying it from you. I ask for EXPERT advice, and I expect EXPERT advice in return. I understand that they may have to go ask the service department or the manager to answer my questions, and that is OK. No problem at all, not everybody can be an expert... but the expertise should be available.

3) If I am looking for something specific, it is OK to show me alternatives if they are reasonable... but don't show me something simply because "that's what we sell." If I want a steel backplate, I don't CARE if you sell back inflate BCDS... I want a steel backplate. However, if you have different kinds of steel backplates, or if you have this really cool backplate made out of unobtainium, that I will look at.

4) Make sure your training department doesn't suck. If I dive with people who were trained at your shop who should not have been given their C-Cards (pretty common occurance with one of our local "big" shops) then there's no way I am even walking in your door. If I see newbie divers that you guys have trained that have a reasonable skill level, then I am at least relatively confident that you know what you are doing.

5) You don't have to beat the online price. Really. But you do have to realize it is out there, and stay somewhere in the ballpark. Your needs are not the same as mine.

6) If you don't have a dive club, then start one. Now.

7) Trips. OK, yeah, I know you make a ton of money on trips. I like going on trips, I think most divers do. It is OK to mention in passing that you have upcoming trips and slots available, that's fine. When I say no, though, stop trying to sell me on them. It is annoying.

8) Humor. Have some.

9) Website. Have one. I don't really care what is on it, but make sure I don't have to search for hours to find your phone number and email contact address... and BTW actually have somebody LOOKING at the email address you have posted on your site. Have them on the front page, near the top, and have a HYPERLINK on your email address and make sure the phone number is TEXT and not just included in a fancy image. If I am calling you, I am doing it from my smart phone and I am much more likely to call you if all I have to do is click on a link.

10) Hours. If you have to close a couple days a week because you are a mom and pop, that's fine. Just don't make one of those days Saturday. Sunday and Monday gives you a two day weekend. Closing on Saturday is just dumb.

11) Keep your dad-gum rental equipment in good shape. Nothing will turn me off on a shop I don't know well than seeing people struggling to use your gear at a dive site because it is in bad repair.

12) Most dive gear is sold in the shop. It should ACTUALLY be sold in the water. If you sell a line of XYZ BCD's then have a full range of sizes people can TRY before they BUY. Let them use your shop pool, or a pool session you are already paying for, to try out equipment. Have a few "loaner" pairs of fins for people to try. Let's say your favorite company comes out with the new "latest and greatest" set of fins, then get a set in each size and let people try them out. If they really are great fins, they will sell themselves. If they suck, don't carry them.

don’t have signs like “if you didn’t buy it here don’t bring it here” because i will do neither.

if a customer buys something online invite him to bring it in and offer any tips on its use or improvements, etc. You can often sell accessories and/or improvements

7. As others have said a nice used department would be great. No one wants a bunch of old junk lying around but you know as a dealer and diver what brands people would buy used and could give others a trade in value on items you think you could resell.

amen!!!!

Back
Top Bottom