What could have happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tank strap with the special buckle from ScubaPro doesn't need to be wet before diving. It is somewhat a pain to get it adjusted to fit a particular tank size but once that is done, it won't come off (or at least never had a problem with it in my own bcd or students' bc's).

I still emphasize to my student to always get the tank strap wet before tighting it on a tank.

It is weird to me that on all the dives I've done since OW class I have not seen anyone wet their strap. I'm thinking if they wanted to they would have to grab their BCD and lean over the edge of the boat to get it wet in the lake or ocean, or carry a bottle of water with them. Or while I was with Lake Travis Scuba Robert had a cooler with warm water in it that I guess I could have used?

I think this occurs more commonly because people don't put the strap on straight, or because they don't tighten the buckle enough. Some of the less-expensive BCDs do come with nylon straps that tend to stretch more than normal, but most BCDs can hold a tank just fine without wetting if you're careful to put the strap on straight and use adequate tension when buckling it down.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is weird to me that on all the dives I've done since OW class I have not seen anyone wet their strap. I'm thinking if they wanted to they would have to grab their BCD and lean over the edge of the boat to get it wet in the lake or ocean, or carry a bottle of water with them. Or while I was with Lake Travis Scuba Robert had a cooler with warm water in it that I guess I could have used?
I wet mine on my first dive with my drinking bottle or a dip in the tidal pools.

Wet strap before and you'll be fine,its happened to all of us. i actually prefer cam straps with a little gripper inside. its a dangerous sport and we all share the same result if we fail....lets all learn and become better divers.....thats a sad loss. I noticed my better halfs tank strap loose on her last ow course dive....waited for instructor to say something, buddy, screw this i fixed it....id do it again buddy or not....why he didnt notice it, pisses me off but thats ow course for ya...raggity gear and all but thats a whole nother story.

One thing I'm not sure about...when everyone is saying the strap will come "loose" if you don't wet the strap, does that mean that the strap stretches out and that the buckle is still fastened but the strap is now too big for the tank?

If that's the case that is not what happened to me. My buckle was tight and it had popped open (but the strap stayed in the same place, not loosening at all) because when my buddy closed the buckle it was still very tight and I heard it snap.

when everyone is saying the strap will come "loose" if you don't wet the strap, does that mean that the strap stretches out and that the buckle is still fastened but the strap is now too big for the tank?

Yes, that's what everyone means. The strap itself stretches just a little when it gets wet, and pre-wetting it prevents that when you tighten the buckle.

I don't know whether different types of straps stretch differently. I have heard that new straps stretch more than old ones.

When shore diving, we always dip our BCs into the water before putting anything together. All it takes is a quick dip.

On boats, we dip our BCs before getting on the boat. You should be assembling your gear pretty soon after boarding, and the straps will still be wet.

Regarding your original question, it's possible that your buckle wasn't fastened all the way. Or, like I said before, it's possible -- I suppose -- that the velcro wasn't fastened well, and you snagged on something that popped open your buckle. Note that if the strap is threaded correctly through the buckle, the strap covers the end of the buckle and protects it from snagging on anything. But a properly-fastened buckle, with the strap tight, is extremely hard to pop open in any case...

It is weird to me that on all the dives I've done since OW class I have not seen anyone wet their strap.

I do it and see it all the time around here. I will dip my straps before the dive and if I forget, I will get someone with longer arms to dip it over the side of the boat if needed or use water from the rinse tank or my water bottle. I have double cam straps and also use the loop at the top of the BC to secure it to the first stage and measure how high I want the tank to be on my BC.

Sometimes people have issues because the velcro is under the buckle and interferes with it, so the velcro needs to be rotated on the tank away from the mechanism. If you can tuck the end of the strap under the edge of the BC, that can protect it from catching on anything. Also, if the strap is crooked, the buckle will not close securely.

BTW, I am not that strong and it is difficult to get the strap very tight. I was taught to steady the tank between my knees and use leverage on the strap while manipulating the buckle to get it tight enough. Then I lift the BC and watch the tank to see how secure it is without support. Don't laugh - it works! :)

Readjusting the strap can be a little tricky if it is not something you have done
before. Although both my steel and aluminum tanks are the same diameter I find
that at times I need to readjust when I do a trip with steel tanks when my last dive
was with aluminum tanks. Resistance still needs to be felt when buckling a wet strap.

Most bcd have a tow handle on top if this is put over the tank valve it come loose but you will never loose your tank- or get a back plate-most have two straps...my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom