What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much my entire kit I bought the first time around had to be sold and done right. :wink: Luckily, since I had the full setup, I was able to sell it to another OW student in one convenient package!

I fell into the trap of buying the exact same setup as my then PADI OW instructor.

I may still have that old neon-yellow, plastic tank light sitting around somewhere though. :)

Not exactly a regret. When I first started, my buying philosophy is the same as buying my photography equipment: Buy it good, but it once. So I wasn't really skimping.

After visiting the board, reading reviews and talking to my LDS, I went with the Zeagle Ranger with an Atomic SS1. I went with the yoke as advised by my LDS and got the Hollis Dc2/212 from the internet at a great price.

I just wished someone has told me about BP/W and that it was easier to convert DIN to yoke with and adaptor than the other way round. So I ended up selling by BCD (at the same price I bought thank goodness) and still waiting to sell my Hollis reg.

I also bought the Oceanic VEO 180 console but have since dismantled it and put it in a DSS wrist mount boot and set it as a depth gauge/bottom timer.

So... when someone talk to you about a BP/W when you are looking for a BCD, listen to that person and get one to try it on. I just wished someone told me about it. &^%$#$%^&^%$

Most definitely, without any doubt...a snorkel..

but the pleasure i get from using my Apeks XTX200 regulator outweighs even the biggest regrets :D

I wondered why my photos never looked like what I saw under water. I was wearing a mask with red tinted lenses duh, now I use a clear mask, problem fixed.

I have lots and lots and lots of scuba gear for varios conditions, purposes and seasons. The least used item is a huge divelight. I have come to like smaller led's for both day and night diving.
DivemasterDennis

- Large dive Knife
- Console
- Apeks XTX 200 regulator
- Buying my beginner gear at the nearest place and not the BEST place.

To clarify on the regulator, I found the XTX in special when I traveled to Miami, FL. It was cheap (at a Official dealer) and I liked it, so I bought it, knowing the nearest Aqualung dealer was a total bastard, because he ripped me on my beginner gear. Went in serviced it the first year under warranty. 120$ including "free" parts for life. I sold it fast and never went there again. Well except yesterday, when they didn't want to repair a recall item cause I didn't buy from them.

Now my SP dealer is further away (20min) but the guy is a wiz and a BP/W fan. Cost me 40-50$ / servicing. So all goes well

I regret my first BCD. I bought a Genesis Recon BCD and though the man said it was the right size for my drysuit, it ended being too big. Its now sittling storage with one dive on it... brand spanking new and it don't fit :(.

I regret buying split fins. I wish I had bought 5 mil dive boots instead of 2 mill footies.

As for general product quality and consistancy, here my list of regret as of May 2011:
1. Hollis DC2 with swivel DC2, big mistake. 1st stage won't allow miflex, AI transmitter. 2nd stage wont allow stardard hose fitting. And to make it worse, selling them used (even less than 1 year old) is very difficult, not far from giving it away free.

Added my dive buddy:
1. Hollis backplate & pad. Mounting holes on the pad and plate don't match. How ridiculous is this.
2. Hollis F1 fins. After less than a year of use, it start to tear apart.

Overall, we lost confident in Hollis brand. Probably won't buy another piece of equipment

Here is a list of things that I would not have bought not because of quality, but because of my preference
1. Intova wide beam. NOt that it is a bad light, just not suitable for my enviroment.
2. Dorcy II 220, same as above. Good night, but does not fit my usage.
3. Wetsuit for Monterey diving. Less than 20 dives later, I got myself a drysuit. should have gone dry in first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom