What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my only regret is going for a consol mounted computer to start with.wrist mount works heaps better for me. It wasn't a great loss though because my wife likes console

I really do not regret buying any SCUBA gear. I do have one wall in my garage with a lot of gear that I very seldom use. I have given away a number of pieces of equipment over the years.

In general, for me at least, one step leads to the next and having a dive locker gives options for different dive configurations.

Overall-no regrets.

I regret my Uwatec Luna,

I bought it more than a year ago, it was supposed to get a trimix update in spring 2010, we're in spring 2011 and still nothing, i feel a bit abused, i sold it and bought and OSTC MK2, cheaper than the Uwatec, does almosts anything i want, trimix ,its got an oled colr display…

You're comparing apples to oranges. The OSTC is for a tech diver while the Luna is for a recreational diver. The OSTC has trimix ability, meant for deco diving and CCR integration. The Luna has a digtal compass, wireless air integration and temp gauge; while the OSCT has none of these.

Adam

My wetsuit, 6 months later I was buying a used DUI that I love. What an idea to buy a wetsuit in Canada. Now I can dive year round.

It seems like this thread has been going on forever :idk: BUT that is GOOD thing, at least for me. As I look into gear and do a search, this thread pops up nearly every time!

I have come to some conclusions, all own my own, which numerous others before me have concluded similarly. (probably on their own too). :D Thanks to all who have posted!

"At first" a 3 gauge console seemed like a "great idea". SPG, computer and compass all in one spot. 1 thing to clip off, and nothing to forget to strap to my wrist. i.e. Where's that compass/computer etc... dangit! on shore or on the boat? ....:no:

Now that I've dove the 3 gauge console for a while, I HATE it! and am looking to move things to my wrists. I do not like using the compass while located in the console!!!

I have 2 computers (Subgear XP10 & Aeris XR2). I won the Subgear XP10 :D and already had the XR2. I'll probably use one a backup?

I AM moving the compass to the wrist, decided- done deal!

I need to decide if I want to use the XR2 computer as a backup, and whether to go 2 gauge console with it or wear 2 computers on my wrist? Do I even need a backup computer? (i.e. maybe I could just keep it in the bag, in case one fails?)

Any opinions welcome :cool2:
KO

I don't know if posting here will help anyone, since there are so many posts that mine will soon be buried.

I am a new diver, and thus, I shouldn't have too many regrets!

Contrary to the sound advice given, I bought all of my gear and never rented (not including a scuba tank).
Will I regret some of it? Probably not. Will I want to upgrade it all later? Most definitely.

The saying "Buy everything once" is crap. I'm sorry, but it is. If you are new to scuba diving, you can buy almost all your gear for under $100 if you do it right. Maybe $200 if you're having some bad luck finding things. I know, because I almost did it ("almost" meaning that I could have, but decided not to, as I was okay splurging on my first purchase, as you can see below. Since then I have found enough stuff that I could have easily been in the water diving for less than $100 on all my own equipment, minus a tank).

I bought my gear extremely cheap. I was selective, buying when I found good opportunities. Craigslist, used sections of various LDS's, ebay, even sales and discounts online through scubatoys.

Some recent examples:
5mm wetsuit - $25 (fits perfectly)
6.5mm wetsuit - $25 (fits perfectly)
Force fins - $15
Neoprene weightbelt - $5

The only purchase I wish was a bit cheaper was my very first one... go figure! I got an Oceanic chute 3 bcd with some weights, an Oceanic Zeta regulator (and octupus and first stage), an old Mares console computer, 2 dive knives, 2 flashlights, a new in box seacure mouthpiece, a expensive wetsuit in great condition (can't remember the name atm) that didn't fit, a Mares X-vision Liquidskin mask, some Mares fins (nice ones, not sure what exactly they are called), 2 mesh bags, a gear bag, some 3mm gloves and booties, and some more stuff that I can't recall atm. I think I paid $600 for all of that.

The point is, if you shop around and buy used, there is no reason to rent equipment when you can dive with your own for the price of a couple of rentals. When you get more dives under your belt, then you'll know what you want to upgrade, even if that's everything you own!

And you may spend more money in the long run....$100-$200 more, assuming you don't rent equipment even a single time. Every time you rent equipment instead of buying your own (even cheap stuff to last you until you save up some money), that $200 savings from waiting to buy "once and for all" becomes a little less.

:D
(PS - make sure you buy good used equipment, not junk. You are trusting your life to this equipment, after all!)

I don't know if posting here will help anyone, since there are so many posts that mine will soon be buried.

I am a new diver, and thus, I shouldn't have too many regrets!

The point is, if you shop around and buy used, there is no reason to rent

:D
(PS - make sure you buy good used equipment, not junk. You are trusting your life to this equipment, after all!)

I don't know if I would be happy with the brands you chosen but if the gear is well maintained and not junk I tend to agree with your thinking for new divers. How new are you and have you serviced any of the new equipment since you bought it?

I don't know if I would be happy with the brands you chosen but if the gear is well maintained and not junk I tend to agree with your thinking for new divers. How new are you and have you serviced any of the new equipment since you bought it?

Yes, I had the 1st and 2nd stage serviced, including the octopus. The computer runs great and so I didn't pay for anyone to look at it. I have since found some regulators that had just been serviced by a dive shop for $10-$20.

Yeah, not all of my equipment is great stuff, but most of it was cheap, exempting my first somewhat stupid purchase. However, all of it is in great condition! You mentioned you would not be happy with some of the brands I chose. I didn't actually choose any brands (other than the force fins) because I found everything on sale, but when I get ready to upgrade (it will be a long time), what brands were you referring to? I believe I only mentioned Force fins, Oceanic, Mares, and Seacure in my post.

Mares X-vision liquidskin - very nice mask
Mares Computer - old and annoying. Will eventually replace.
Mares Fins - Nice, but I don't need them.
Oceanic Chute 3 - Tons of D rings, very hardy, but will eventually replace.
Oceanic Zeta - Known to be finicky until adjusted, but after that generally performs admirably.
Seacure mouthpiece - haven't tried it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things
Forcefins - Wicked awesome fins. Imo, force fins and jet fins are the only 2 fins I'll ever need.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom