What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of anything that I really 'regret' buying. I do think that in the long run I will replace my jacket BC. The question between then & now (and this isn't urgent, it's gonna be quite a while) will be do I buy a back inflate BC or a BP&W?

I was suckered into buying 2 of the most expensive everything, including two boxes of stuff I've never used but it sits there just in case, now years later.

I can't say I regret purchasing a BC, but I never could get my bouyancy with it and after losing some lbs it didn't fit me anymore and popped off on a night diving, attached only by the reg in my mouth at 60'. Rather than purchasing a new smaller BC, I went with a BP/w and Hogarthian setup and from the first dive had my bouyancy under control. I have not regretted that. In fact, in a few days I'll be picking up a doubles wing for the same BP from Tobin.

Other things are those yellow flashlights that I quickly replaced with the much more envious LED's my buds were using and now, starting next week, a Salvo HID.

Fog Cutter. Cool factor for sure, but its huge and I prefer a smaller knife on my harness, anyway, not on my ankle. When diving in dense kelp, it is the source of most of my entanglements.

AIR 2.

Console computer. Write mount/wireless is so much better. I don't use wireless anyway, just use an SPG.

strobe lights for tank markers on night dives. I find them annoying. If you can't see my light cannon 100 or canister light, then my blinker won't help my buddy find me any easier.

Neoprene wetsuit. Hated that thing. How many discomfort problems and near panic's it caused from its constriction. After dive 20 I replaced it with a hyperstretc type wetsuit and haven't looked back.

Soft soul booties.

Most of these I didn't "regret" per se, just I didn't know better and I very quickly outgrew them. I'm thankful for the experience but have moved on from them.

Any one of the numerous drysuits have bought off of fleabay. You really can't beat trying the thing on. I also bought a cat 30 that i used as a pony but know serves as argon storage.

The two worst items I ever bought were the Dacor 'Rig 3' BCD and Dacor Viper regulator. I only had around 20 dives at the time...and they were on special offer. :shakehead:

The Viper regs freeflowed in cold water...and were not durable.

The Rig 3 bcd was quite simply a piece of turd. The integrated weights dangled out the back of the pockets, it had silly straps everywhere...and it weighed a tonne. I ended up going back to my ancient, second-hand, Buddy Commando instead.

I did also later regret buying 6 sets of Poseidon regs....then moving to Thailand and discovering it was virtually impossible to get service or kits for them :shocked2:

i regret buying my stolen gear, had i known it would get stolen i woulda saved the cash. Ohh well in process of getting certified now and got a back inflate since im used to jackets and it was cheap figured i would try. I kinda regret buying the used beuchat regs i have because they are big but will find out after im certified if i will get jaw fatugue from them. i kinda regret replacing my mares fin buckles with originals (one pair was missing when i bought new on closeout, quatro excel's for 15 dollars and i love them) shoulda went spring straps or another mfg but with snorkeling i have cut my fingers 3 times from unbuckling them(still cant find sharp spot outa water) before getting on the boat. I hate having a snorkle on my dive setup so once im certified its coming off, love the dry snorkle for snorkling. Thats about it though aslong as it works and is pretty comfortable im happy the zeagle is very comfortable though.

I am newly certified. i bought a second regulator and octopus after buying an intro model. So I have 2 rigs now an Atomic Z2 and the new Aqualung Kronos with octo. I wish I had bought a second Steel 80 tank instead of the regs. Oh well now I have a pretty secure backup.
Best Wishes,
Salub

My bp/w with hog harness
my long hose regs
my jetfins with springstraps
my canister light
my steel cylinders

:rofl3::eyebrow:

Just kidding. I don't have any of that.

Console computer - I should have just gone with air integrated from the start, now I'm probably going to buy a Galileo SOL and eBay my Aladin console.

I am, contrary to many here, quite happy that I have an Air2...

Dang, just spent several hours reading through this entire thread...and what a great one it is for a new diver.

I have learned so much here, thank you all for the posts and information.

I am DEFINITELY going BP/W for my first purchase..no question about it.

Another thing I'm happy about is that Scuba Toys is a LDS in my area..not the closest (bout a 40 min. drive) but it appears I'm lucky to have them nearby as I have read about their great customer service and have seen their great pricing online. I think I'll be directing my business to scubatoys rather than the closer LDS i'm in the process of getting certified through with crappy prices.

Well it all boils down to getting the right equipment for the right job. And your nature of diving. But remember ease of use. Dives should have no stress. and having to much or complicated equipment will stress you out. If its not working or you do not understand it .

One thing i wish I never bought . was a canon housing for the A 640 .

Back
Top Bottom