What dive computer to get? So much choice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennygill

Registered
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death, but after searching these boards (and elsewhere) for a long time I'm more confused than ever about what dive computer to buy!

I'm fairly new to diving but hope to progress quickly over the coming years. So I want something that will serve me well as I progress with my diving.

The wish list so far:
- Replaceable battery
- Sturdy/Not easily broken
- Under $500.
- Nitrox enabled
- Should be able to log many dives and have data downloaded to PC (I would like the computer to keep an up to date log of all my dives)

I was initially thinking of getting a Console type computer that is attached via a LP hose. I'm only going to use it for diving so why not have it permanently attached to my dive gear? Saves me from losing it. But I'm open to watches and wrist types also if you think they're better...

I know wireless air integration is very expensive so I have ruled that out. But if I can get an affordable console air integration via the LP hose that would be good.

I'm open to all brands and suggestions.

I agree with diveprof's recommendations.

More Conservative: Suunto Zoop (BTW, I've seen this computer on sale locally for $215 from an authorized Suunto dealer.)
More Liberal: Aeris Manta/Oceanic Geo

To meet your requirements you'll have to get a Cochran EMC-16. It has the BEST logging in the industry, the boards are built and potted to military specifications and are potted in the same place that post electronics for fighter planes, and you can select nitrox to 1/10 accuracy. Internally the Cochran logs at 1sec intervals and internally is depth sensitive to 1/4 foot.

If you are just price sensitive then the EMC16 is the most bang for the buck, the Gemini does air integration, and the EMC 20-h does helium.

Suunto Vyper, its cheap, user replaceable battery, Nitrox capable, sturdy,reliable, easy to operate, can download data to PC and can be used in gauge mode further down the road if need be. And DSS (DeepSeaSupply) make a great bungee wrist mount for it.

Thanks for the help guys. I was actually also leaning towards the Suunto Vyper (I was searching ebay and these boards for a used one)... but I think I've been too quick to jump at buying a new computer. I'm only just getting back into diving and starting to buy all my own gear. So I think I'll leave the computer to the last thing I buy. Thanks anyway guys!

Suunto Zoop

Suunto zoop. I looked at all the below $500 computers and the zoop is the only one I can remember how to use without reading the manual. It does everything you are looking for.

.........I'm open to all brands and suggestions.
Start here: Dive Computers Research Tool.
You can use the tool to compare dive computers side by side.

You can also see dive computers in action in our videos, and / or check them out with our simulators (eDiving and divePAL)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom