What do you think about wetsuit sold at Sams Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw those wetsuits too, they don't look to sturdy to me.

There was a pressure pot at searovers with different types of neoprene in it that would strongly disagree with that assessment :)

tlessard:
Neoprene is neoprene...there is some stuff that is better suited to diving because of advances in diving technology (ie stretch, fast dry, etc), but a 3mil shorty for water sports is every bit the same as a 3mil for underwater sports. I used to wakeboard frequently, and I assure you that if the suit can take the punishment on top of the water, it can certainly handle a little diving! O'neil was good stuff when I was wakeboarding...who cares if it's made in China. If you need a cheap shorty, buy it...they don't keep you very warm underwater anyways! :wink:

-Trey

Soggy:
There was a pressure pot at searovers with different types of neoprene in it that would strongly disagree with that assessment :)
Really? Any published results?

Neoprene isn't neoprene, it definitely varies. But for a 3mm shorty doesn't matter so much. $30 isn't much to lose, try it and see. (I personally am not a big fan of shorties unless they're worn over some kind of skin. It's good to have complete coverage when diving.)

My wife bought me one last year at Sams Club. They work fine for Florida waters, even on rocks they did not tear up(Went shore Diving ended up rolling on rocks that were submerged). I am going back in June and am going to use it again. I usually use a skin suit to dive Florida water but my wife bought this for Christams present. I am sure you will not be disappointed in the $30. you spend.

JeffG:
Really? Any published results?

No, they just had several different grades and thicknesses of neoprene in the pot and brought it down to 120. The G-320 (or whatever it is called) stuff barely compressed at all, while the other grades compressed to near nothing.

ppatrick:
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I went to Sams Club and found a very affordable wetsuit (about thirty something dollars). The brand was O'Brien. It was a 3 inch think short sleeve. Just wonder if anyone ever used it. Is O'Brien a decent brand? I know that I should not expect high quality from cheap product. But all I want is a suit that will keep me warm. Your opinion is always welcome! :)

Patrick

I've used my 3 mil Sam's Club wetsuit in Hawaii and Cozumel. It was fine for Coz, but I was a bit chilled in HI - not unreasonably so, just a bit.

i use so called full surfsuits for years now diving (just find the cut more comfy, they usually are cut slightly bend on arm and legs). crushed neoprene is usally better, since it doesnt compress that much. generally (having used many diff. brands and purpose suits) i cant see much of a difference between them based on the surf, ski or dive purpose. for a 3mm shorty - get it for $30. if it only last 3 seasons instead of four, who cares it was still a bargain. as for the possibly made in china - so are most suits this days (or in korea, vietnam and taiwan) - even the majority of the top brands. the only thing whats made there in europe or usa is the design, often not even that.

My wife and a couple of her friends got them..last time they were on sale..They are nowhere near as nice as my Bare however they were 25% of the price.. my wife has been down in hers 20 odd times now both down south and in the warmer areas here.

nobody else has complained

fishoutawater:
Maybe somebody can clear this up for me.
I dive with my Henderson front zip shorty, and I've also dove with my O'neill shorty with the zipper in back. Except for the zipper being in the back on the O'neill, I can't tell a bit of difference.
I asked about the difference between surfer shorties and diver shorties a long time ago, and was told that on the surfer, the zipper is on the back so you don't scratch your surf board, but you shouldn't dive with it because the long zipper pull is an entanglement hazzard in the event one would need to doff his BC.
But now when I walk into dive shops, most of the divers wetsuits are back zippered.
So what's the deal?
Long time surfer here. I've dealt with just about every wetsuit made for surfing, and a few now for diving. The zipper in back for surfing is to avoid 2 things.... 1 Scratching the board (already mentioned) and 2 it would be painful the lay down on the board with a zipper pressed against your chest. As far as the difference for diving, I don't see the long zipper being a problem... you can always tie it up to temparally shorten it, or remove it all together and have you dive buddy help you out :)

I wouldn't spend my money on a Sam's Club or Costco brand wetsuit. I've had cheap wetsuits before and they all seem to break quickly in uncomfortable places, ie.. the crotch (no fun getting a flush of cold water there). If it were me I'd spend the extra amount so you can count on it doing what you bought it for... keeping you warm. The cheap suits cannot compete on quality. Just price.

Another thing is that if you compare the warmth between a Sam's Club 3mm shorty, and lets say a Bare, or Ripcurl 3mm shorty, you will feel a difference. The material and how the suits has been stitched/Glued together makes a considerable difference in warmth as well as comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom