What do you think about wetsuit sold at Sams Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago I walked into the local COSTCO (We didn't have a Sam's) and low and behold there was a big display of scuba gear. This was years before I took up diving but the display sparked my interest to the point where I went to a local dive shop and talked to them a little bit about it. I'll never forget their reaction when I mentioned Costco. The guy went on and on about how Costco wasn't supposed to have access to scuba stuff and they were really ticked off.

The display sold out within a week or two and I haven't seen it since. What a shame. I've seen the wet suits but of course they aren't what I use.

detroit diver:
Try this spelling: Obrien

Thanks detroit diver.
Funny, usually Yahoo asks me "Do you mean....?"
Looks like decent stuff to me.

Any 3mm neoprene suit will work in Warm Water... 74 F and up.... Oneill is a good namebrand... I'd wear one.

Sams Club near us has had excellent deals on brand name Scuba Gear... Some of the recent finds included:

Citizen Aqualand Duplex Dive Watches ONLY $177.00!
Dacor Masks ONLY $19.97
Dacor Snorkels ONLY $9.97
Cressi-sub Mask, Fins & Snorkel package ONLY $39.00
Oneill 3mm Wetsuits ONLY $39.00

Hey, I went to Leisurepro to find the same models of each... and even their prices were about 30% higher!

I bought a cheap 3mil wetsuit from Costco a couple of years ago to use in the pool when I work with classes. I also used it when I spent a week diving off a liveaboard in Mexico where the water temps were 80-90. I still have it and still use it although I've bought another one from my LDS recently. Don't want to use my nice new one in the pool so I'm saving it for my next warm water trip.
If most of your diving is in cold water and you only plan to use the 3mil shortie for the occasional warm water trip, it should be fine. I should mention that I mostly dive in Puget Sound so dive cold water most of the time. I was perfectly comfortable in the cheap 3mil in Mexico although there were others onboard that were strictly warm water divers so had much more exposure protection than I. I think if you only dive warm water you have a tendency to get cold easier at warmer temps than those of us that dive cold water all the time.

ppatrick:
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I went to Sams Club and found a very affordable wetsuit (about thirty something dollars). The brand was O'Brien. It was a 3 inch think short sleeve. Just wonder if anyone ever used it. Is O'Brien a decent brand? I know that I should not expect high quality from cheap product. But all I want is a suit that will keep me warm. Your opinion is always welcome! :)

Patrick

Hey, it's $30 ! You can't go wrong if a 3 mil shorty will keep you warm enough where you normally dive!

I usually spend more than that on bottled water and snacks for a day of diving!

My wife wore a 3 mm jumpsuit when diving the 73 degree St Lawrence River in Canada last year and was fine. Me being a wimp wore my 5/7mm suit and wouldn't have gone thinner but we are all different and comfort levels are different!

Hey it's ONLY $30!

Stopped by Sam's just yesterday and got my $30 O'Brien 2mm shorty! Can't wait to get it wet!!! Thanks for the head's up!

This is a good thread. I was wondering about those myself. I saw them at SAMS last year and was thinking about getting one for me and hubby. We're going to Bahamas in June (Blackbeards) and are taking our 1/2 mm skins (the water temp will be fine, just for protection from critters, etc.) and wanted to alternate with shorties or use shorties for night diving. We'll have to pick a couple of those babies up before we go. Thanks for the heads-up. Keep us posted on how it works...well or not... and how satisfied you are with it. Cool.

forget about it...spend the money on a real suit that will last you for awhile.

This thread is funny to me cuz it reminds me of something. I bought a cheap shorty from Costco about 10 years ago. Up until this point I only wore front zipper suits, and that was the norm anyway. But this shorty was a back zipper and it basically strangled me and I never did wear it in the open water. But with this in my mind, I never again bothered to even try on a back zip wetsuit, thinking that it would be the same way, strangling me.

Well, needless to say, I eventually tried a back zip suit some years ago and it fits great, and that's all I wear now, 1 piece back zip suits. Go figure!!

Darn Costco!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom