What do you think about wetsuit sold at Sams Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater:
Maybe somebody can clear this up for me.
I dive with my Henderson front zip shorty, and I've also dove with my O'neill shorty with the zipper in back. Except for the zipper being in the back on the O'neill, I can't tell a bit of difference.
I asked about the difference between surfer shorties and diver shorties a long time ago, and was told that on the surfer, the zipper is on the back so you don't scratch your surf board, but you shouldn't dive with it because the long zipper pull is an entanglement hazzard in the event one would need to doff his BC.
But now when I walk into dive shops, most of the divers wetsuits are back zippered.
So what's the deal?

I've wondered about that too. The long tails on the back-zip is nice, because I can don and doff it without assistance, but other than that, that long tail is really annoying. I'd like to know how other people deal with that stupid thing.

Not an entanglement hazard. My first wet suits were front zip, and for years that's all I dove. When the back zips came out I found that they were a lot more comfortable, and did'nt bunch up in the front. They also had a lot less water leaking through, and the back zip allowed for easy placement of a spine pad. Although they are still offered, I would never go back to a front zip. The "tail" should'nt be an issue as it goes under your back plate, or BC, and is trapped there, out of the way.

My sister got one of the Sam's Club suits for water skiing and it works well for her even when we decide to go to Tennessee in early May :) Naturally you're not in the water long if you do it right; I have a sister-in-law who slalom skis without getting wet above the knee.

The tail on the back zip suit can be rolled and tucked under a velcro flap found at the top beside the zipper on some suits (I know mine has one). The only problem I've ever heard about with Sam's Club type suits is the neoprene might not recover from being compressed. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that information as it came from a shop who would rather sell you one of their expensive suits than see you buy a cheapie.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
The tail on the back zip suit can be rolled and tucked under a velcro flap found at the top beside the zipper on some suits (I know mine has one).

Great idea, Ber! Thank you!

Yes, the zipper tail gets covered by the BC, but I'm paranoid about "dangly stuff," on my dive gear. This is a nice solution.

I've had an O'Neill 3mm Farmer John for about 3-4 years. I don't use it all that much because I usually dive warmer waters, so I have only maybe 60-70 dives with it. It looks brand new.

(BTW, I have also decided I don't like Farmer John's in in general, so if you are interested....)

There are different types of neoprene. As I recall from several years ago when I was checking this out, neoprene made for surface sports is not very good for diving because it is not made to withstand compression. Of course, all neoprene compresses with depth, and loses insuation therefore, but this is more of a problem, perhaps much more of a problem, with the stuff that is made for surface sports like water skiing or zipping around in your ski-doo. And I suspect that it also does not recover as well from compression. So for $30 you could try it, but I think that you would only do it if you really needed to save some money in the short-term while anticipating an upgrade as soon as possible thereafter. BTW, I purchased a custom fitted wetsuit from Divers Supply for an extremely good price (something like $150 as I recall) 3 years ago. It works great IMO and has held up well (and has a front zip incidentally which makes it very easy to don on and off). One idea which has been toyed with is to incorporate rigid microspheres into the rubber to defeat compression and maintain insulation. Don't know what the status of this is however.

Check out Leisure pro for the akona 3 mm shorty back zip. I have used it in the carribean a few times now and love it.

For heavy suits take a look at Divetank.com they have the bare suits very reasonable. Just got a 2006 model 7-6 velocity. Really nice suit can't wait to dive it. Ice has to go first.

As far as back zip when you zip it up and put your BC on the dangly is coved and is not in the way. I agree with backzip being more comfty. wont buy a front zip again.

If long jumpsuits will fit you off the rack, I like those better than shorites, and - a 3 mil and a 7 mil will give you good coverage possibilities with 2 suits. The link that Henryville certainly looks good.

But $30? What do you have to lose...? :wink:

Neoprene is neoprene...there is some stuff that is better suited to diving because of advances in diving technology (ie stretch, fast dry, etc), but a 3mil shorty for water sports is every bit the same as a 3mil for underwater sports. I used to wakeboard frequently, and I assure you that if the suit can take the punishment on top of the water, it can certainly handle a little diving! O'neil was good stuff when I was wakeboarding...who cares if it's made in China. If you need a cheap shorty, buy it...they don't keep you very warm underwater anyways! :wink:

-Trey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom