What does scuba diving mean to you ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was asked the other day by a student in a OW class " what does scuba diving mean to you ?" and I almost gave a smart a@# comment,But I stopped myself because I was in the professional role.I told them [FONT=&quot]to me it is freedom a chance to leave the day to day stuff behind where there are no phone calls can reach me , just the thoughts in my head and a alien world to explore. A chance to experience what it is like to weightless . Every time I jump in I never have enough time to see it all, That’s what keeps me coming back for more. You will find that scuba diving means something different to everyone. I finished by telling them in a year from now I was going to ask them the same question .the student just smiled and said I am looking forward to it.

So I ask what does scuba diving mean to you ? [/FONT]

Matt

Are you really going to ask this group a students anything in a year? :D

For me the UW realm is a different world which I can visit. Sometimes its cold. Sometimes its warm. Sometimes there is low vis, other times I can see 200 feet in any direction. Sometimes its dark, other times sun drenched. Sometimes there is life everywhere, other times I am practically alone. Its forever changing, and I never tire of it.

I always answer this question with: I always wanted to explore space. Not going to happen...the I found out that there is a place I call Inner-space that is every bit as foreign to humans and I could explore that environment. Sounds like you have a thinker for a new diver.

Matt I know the feeling.

To me diving is just taking the chance to be ME again. It is not very often that my mind quiets down and I can stop thinking about everything, but diving does that for me. I've went through a lot of crap this year - left an abusive boyfriend, moved 3000 km from home, said goodbye all my friends, not finding work.. but I am getting through it all because I have my diving.

Maybe my life isn't perfect or sorted out yet, but diving has brought back my confidence, my happiness, my willingness to say to hell with the world and just start living.

I can't ask for anything more than that.

Scuba Diving is my liquid therapy, it calms and soothes my soul. I feel the most alive when I'm diving. It allows me to visit another world.

Scuba diving is something I never - ever - considered doing until the day before I did it. My brother and I were in Boracay and he looked at me and asked if I would do the OW course with him. Why not? So we did. (Props to Blue Mango)

I was smitten. I tell people I have taken something off of my bucket list I didn't even know was on there.

It is such a completely different world, warm water, cold water, salt water, fresh water, quarry, lake, ocean, natural life, wrecks, shore dives, boat dives... only 20 logged dives so far, but some good variety and I have loved it all.

It leaves everything behind, and fills me with a child's wonder, something I have not experienced in too many years. It makes the day to day stresses and concerns of life disappear. It brings my brother and my son - the only diving buddies I have had to date other than my instructors - closer in ways that we would not have experienced otherwise. I haven't achieved zen yet, but I'm working on it.

In a word, incredible.

Scuba diving means a form of escape from the stresses of life. It's the opportunity to have the amazing feeling of weightlessness and breathing underwater. It's experiencing something that few people do. And mostly for me, it's being able to see strange and interesting marine wildlife.

I always answer this question with: I always wanted to explore space. Not going to happen...the I found out that there is a place I call Inner-space that is every bit as foreign to humans and I could explore that environment. Sounds like you have a thinker for a new diver.

Exactly my thoughts. I can't go to space but I can go to the depths of an alien world.

Matt I know the feeling.

To me diving is just taking the chance to be ME again. It is not very often that my mind quiets down and I can stop thinking about everything, but diving does that for me. I've went through a lot of crap this year - left an abusive boyfriend, moved 3000 km from home, said goodbye all my friends, not finding work.. but I am getting through it all because I have my diving.

Maybe my life isn't perfect or sorted out yet, but diving has brought back my confidence, my happiness, my willingness to say to hell with the world and just start living.

I can't ask for anything more than that.

Well done for building up the courage.

Back
Top Bottom