What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valid points Jarhead,

I believe the early adopters of the mask will be those of us who already wear contacts and have done so while diving.

A stronger point against it vis-a-vi photography is the distance from your eye to viewfinder. I believe it would force you into digital and composing via the lcd.

The only purge I've delt with is on my snorkle, so I'll just have to see what happens with the mask.

The $$ factor is probably the largest hurdle for the mask, for it isn't just the mask, but contacts, SI glasses, and the surface lens that make up the total system. However, I got into scuba as a way to get rid of all that pesky cash that piles up around here, so it isn't as big an issue as it might be.

My normal mode is to sit back and let others test out new equipment, regardless of type. This once I decided to jump in early to check it out. I'll still be bringing a "normal" mask on my trip so I don't have to depend upon it. That is, if it arrives before I depart. They may or may not have the first production run before my departure date.

*** Back to the main topic ***

I'm keeping an open mind about DIR.

It does have some aspects of a cult: they have a rigid uniform, want every member to act the same, and even have secret knowledge (the mental decompression algorithm UP has aluded to in past posts) :) . Some posters even sugested DIR folk keep to themselves and not dive with non-DIR (though I couldn't find documentation to support this).

OTOH, from what I see (and read in the DIRF book), they have a good system. Is it the best? I won't know until I try it. Standardization can be a strength as well as a weakness (a force so powerful it can only be used for GOOD or EVIL). In reading the DIRF book I even found tolerance for diving a short hose on reefs.

Will it grow and by how much? I think that is as dependent on the people and agencies practicing it as much as the system.

I visited the GUE website and was impressed by their teaching beliefs. They mirror my own, absorbing the main body of information before class and using valuable interaction time to develop the more complex ideas and have time for questions and clarification. I was surprised how little this is done even in a masters program, so it struck a chord with me.

There are open minded and closed minded folk on both sides of the fence. As was hashed in the agency/instructor thread, the individual is what makes the difference. One loud obnoxious person on either side can give it a bad name.

In the end, the "R" stands for what a particular individual makes it. And that is how I try to judge people, one person at a time based upon how they act. The "US" and "THEM" mentality has caused enough problems to make me discard it as a viable system.

David

Scuba once bubbled...
My error or poor choice in judgement and I will pay the consequences by the figure it casts on me.

As for Uncle Pug, if you feel that I have insulted you without reason. Then explain
You don't owe me an apology... you haven't diminished me in anyway.

For some reason you... out of all the posters on this board... took this quote to be about you personally:

"While intention of some is to muddy the waters when it comes to discussing DIR..."

That was your call... I haven't been following the thread... just occassionally looking at it when it comes up on the new post queue.

DSJ once bubbled...
*** Back to the main topic ***

I'm keeping an open mind about DIR.

It does have some aspects of a cult: they have a rigid uniform, want every member to act the same, and even have secret knowledge (the mental decompression algorithm UP has aluded to in past posts) :) . Some posters even sugested DIR folk keep to themselves and not dive with non-DIR (though I couldn't find documentation to support this).
David

David,

Great post. I just wanted to clear up one thing. I'm not speaking for UP, but I think the reason he PM'd that info was because of the nature of the information. Without the required technical background, some could misuse the information and get themselves hurt. It's not a secret. It's taught in the class. But you have to have the background before it's safe. If this audience was proven to be of that level, I don't think he would have any problem posting it.

As you know, there's beginners here as well as accomplished "technical" divers. I put that in quotes because there really isn't a definition of it. There's also divers that think they're "technical" 'cause they read it on the 'net. Better off not posting that to a public board.

Just my thoughts....

Jack

I figured it wasn't really "Secret" if UP was willing to share. I figured it was information that could be taken out of context.

I almost put the caveat in, but what with the other one I wouldn't have much an argument for culthood :)

detroit diver once bubbled...

David,

Great post. I just wanted to clear up one thing. I'm not speaking for UP, but I think the reason he PM'd that info was because of the nature of the information. Without the required technical background, some could misuse the information and get themselves hurt. It's not a secret. It's taught in the class. But you have to have the background before it's safe. If this audience was proven to be of that level, I don't think he would have any problem posting it.

As you know, there's beginners here as well as accomplished "technical" divers. I put that in quotes because there really isn't a definition of it. There's also divers that think they're "technical" 'cause they read it on the 'net. Better off not posting that to a public board.

Just my thoughts....

Jack

I agree. Somethings are best not posted in an open forum especially in a non-tech forum especially when they are beyond the scope of the discussion. . There are all manor of books and web sources for info on deco methods so it isn't a secret but individuals can decide for themselves when and where they are comfortable describing their methods. Many of the techniques that are gaining popularity are new and can only be described as experimental. If I told you to take a class and use the tables they gave you I would be on established ground. I think that would be true even if I gave you a copy of the tables or software. On the other hand if I said "here are the tables modify them and use them in this way" and you did it?

Some organization even have proprietery tables and methods. The AUE (AUE Mike) is one. They don't keep in to themselves for a competative advantage they do it because it has only been validated to a limited degree and they don't want you hurt participating in their experiment.

Ok.. I've been out of town, so I'm definately late into this little party, but I want to throw in my two cents.

This is probably going to come off as fightin' words althought it's more intended for people to just think about...

I've gotta vote for 'Righteous'. And it's for one reason only.. the difference between some of the DIR divers and some of the non DIR divers... Yes, there are some that are truely what DIR strives to label strokes, and then there are those that have adopted parts of DIR that seem to work for them.

Are they DIR? Well, of course not, they aren't 100%, so they can't be. But what's the difference between them and many of the DIR divers [on this board and elsewhere]? Pretty much nothing aside of the attitude.

How many partial-DIR divers consider themselves not DIR? How many do consider themselves DIR? How many don't care if they are DIR or not?

Basically, how many of you that feed into the DIR cult and aren't actually 100% DIR? Some common examples I have seen of where the DIR zealots falter: rockboots; computers; 100-130 fsw w/out trimix; 'wet-steel'.

My personal tunnelled vision opinion is that there are many MANY DIR zealots that preach DIR but brush off or even hide their little 'drifts away from the path to enlightenment'.

Since those DIR zealots aren't actually "Doing It Right", the only choice left is "Doing It Righteous".

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Some organization even have proprietery tables and methods. The AUE (AUE Mike) is one. They don't keep in to themselves for a competative advantage they do it because it has only been validated to a limited degree and they don't want you hurt participating in their experiment.

Correct. I've dived with some of the AUE guys a few times and those tables definately work for them. They do hold them close though! Some day I hope I'll get access to them but I know it'll be awhile.

Tom

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scuba once bubbled...
My error or poor choice in judgement and I will pay the consequences by the figure it casts on me.

As for Uncle Pug, if you feel that I have insulted you without reason. Then explain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't owe me an apology... you haven't diminished me in anyway.

For some reason you... out of all the posters on this board... took this quote to be about you personally:

quote:
"While intention of some is to muddy the waters when it comes to discussing DIR..."

That was your call... I haven't been following the thread... just occassionally looking at it when it comes up on the new post queue.

Uncle Pug, I have to hand it to you!

You....sir..are amazingly slick. Consistent, and true to form.

Whatever works for you!

Regarding any of my comments in this thread that could be construed as a personal attack on your profession, I assure you, it was purely co-incidental. I did not know you are a Preacher, until NetDoc mentioned it.

Maybe it shows. :D

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Correct. I've dived with some of the AUE guys a few times and those tables definately work for them. They do hold them close though! Some day I hope I'll get access to them but I know it'll be awhile.

Tom

Hey Tom,
if you join the group and sign the wavers don't you get to use the tables? I think I read where Mike stated something to that effect on his board.

When I move to Florida.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom