What form of air source redundancy?

What form of air source redundancy do you use when solo diving?

• Doubles

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • Single with an h or y valve and two 1st stages

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Single with a pony

Votes: 89 50.6%
  • Single with a Spare Air or other similar device

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Single alone ... no redundancy

Votes: 23 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy hangs off of my waistbelt d-rings and has never paniced on me.

Down to 60 or so feet with good conditions the surface is my redundant air supply. Below that depth or should there be some condition I am not happy with--entaglement hazards, low viz, cold, darkness etc---then I will sling a pony or even resort to doubles or independent doubles.

N

Usually and 120cf steel tank with an H-Valve and a pony...sometimes doubles. Depends on my dive plan and the conditions.

Normally double 72's, I haven't had a reason to need my double 108's on a solo dive yet. Or I will sling one of my bottles, either 30 or 40, with a single tank.

Jim

Since I've been diving doubles when I got into tech except for pool sessions with students all I seem to dive with is doubles now. Last solo I did was with my double lp85's with air and a slung 40 with 32% that I used for my ascent after spending 15 minutes at 120+ feet. Just checking out a hole in our local training lake and practicing some gas switching and deco stops.

Whatever is appropriate for the dive (boring answer I know)...
Mostly just the tank on my back...

Ditto, surface, CESA, stay within NDL limits.

Doubles. Often with a 40 cf bottle of 50-100% to burn off deco, or act as a bail out. I'm writing this with my new Megaladon CCR (minus the breathing loop) sitting behind me- gonna have to rethink the solo thing here, pretty soon- but I know I'll be doing it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom