What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dad had a collectors licence to supply Aquarium shops in the 60s and 70s. Grew up at Ningaloo waiting for him to come in from dives. Spent teens and twenties free diving. Crewed on a yacht circumnavigating Aus and through SEA so did some hookah and free diving along the way at different islands - some of which no longer exist as the countries they are now - IE Irian Jaya. Went to uni when I was 30 got on a project at Ningaloo, back to old familiar reef, then went on a trip to PNG with friends, converted to scuba.

Every sunday in our house was Cousteau and Attenborough documentaries.

Snorkeling..just wanted to stay down longer and see more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My uncle.

When I was 14 I did work experience with him and that weekend instead of going home I went diving. Well he went diving and I went snorkeling. Now this is scary has anyone heard of Ron and Velerie Taylor. Growing up he lived at Bondi and snorkelled with Ron. Later on totally by coincidence he lived in the same street as them. Small world huh. Anyway I watched a few of their shows and went awesome.

Anyway after a summer, uncle diving me snorkelling I started getting down to his depth and I used to share his air. this went on for a couple of years. Then we used to pick up his wife and spend the day on Sydney Harbour. I used to put on his wet suite and diving gear and just putter around the boat. He had kids and that part was over but the thought of it stuck. I have done probably 20 or so dives since then discover scuba type dives and then hit a wall in Lembongan a few years ago as the dive center there wouldn't take divers unless certified.

Now I am here :).

First vacation with my girlfriend (now wife).
Spent first week in Cancun, second week in Cozumel. After one week of being on the beach, I couldn't face another.
Saw a dive shop with a big Canadian flag painted on the roof (Papa Hog's), went inside to talk, and we ended up taking our OW course.

20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea and Sea Hunt.

Was obsessed with the ocean from very young age. On school trip to coast parents gave me a camera to take along. Unlike other kids taking pictures of each other, the scenery, etc...all of my pics were straight down into tide-pools. Should'a got the hint then. :)

Oh yeah, also probably watching 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea probably fueled the underwater obsession.

In the late 1980s a friend was becoming a scuba instructor. I actually had a fear of deep water and heights (for me it was related to sensation being "high up" say looking over a deep wall or deep open water), so thought I'd try the sport to over come the fear.
Got hooked! Couple thousand dives later and became a scuba instructor in late 1990s. Scuba helped with the fear of heights as well. :)

....But, yeah - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea probably fueled it.

Was in the middle of living on a Caribbean island for 3 years and knew I couldn't leave without getting certified or else the world would make endless fun of the pale white girl who spent 3 years at a desk in the Caribbean...

Hated the pool stuff, enjoyed the open water stuff, became addicted to breathing compressed air...the rest is history!

When I was a kid I watched some divers and wanted to do it. As a grown up I've moved from Europe to US and somewhat forgot about it as I was 4-6 hours drive from the ocean. Then a friend of mine mentioned he wanted to get certified so he can dive Atlanta Aquarium as it was on his bucket list. So we both signed up for classes and week of the class he bailed as he had work stuff to do and couldn't do the certification. I proceeded with my certification and diving.

Fast forward to today, I just had him and another friend at the shop sign up for his certification class after 5 years if the original one. Difference? I am going to be his instructor now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom