What happened to PST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldnotdead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking into my first tank purchase. I was looking at the PST website and the scuba section was closed down.
Is there a thread here about PST. What happened and are there dangers with old PST tanks?
thanks

Pressed Steel went out of business...twice...basically beaten down by the urban renewal folks in Milwaukee. Nothing wrong with their cylinders, they were/are outstanding performers. Be cautious buying them used, however - the most recent iteration of PST sold cylinders under a DOT exemption that will be expiring in a bit. After that it will at least be an aggravation to get them hydro tested and it may not be possible at all. There have been several threads, search is your friend...

If you want to buy steel tanks... Either buy worthington (as they are still in business and a new hydro will be no problem) or buy LP tanks (regardless of original manufacturer) as 3aa means 3aa. Im sure PST tanks are just as good of quality as worthington... however, one cannot ignore that their future in retesting is uncertain.

I had heard rumors on another board that they where just not making the scuba tanks anymore however would renew the permits. However i can't seem to find that discussion on the other board at this time.

Here we go,

If you live in Canada then you wont have an issue, they have renewed with TC this year and the permit expires 2014.

SU 9294 (Ren. 1) - Permits - Transportation of Dangerous Goods - Safety - Transport Canada

There has been much discussion of the DOT exemption on these cylinders in the past. I know they did renew the CT exemption, but many of us wondered if they would attempt to do the same for the DOT permit.

I believe that there might be an ongoing data collection and reporting requirement that would be difficult for a company that is no longer in business. We will just have to sit back and see what happens in 2012.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom