What happened to Thanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny-dog-pictures-dog-makes-scooby-doo-noise.jpg

There is. If we select "Delete Post(s) as Spam", we can delete the entire posting history AND the user fairly quickly.

"Poof", as if they never existed! WOW, a true nuclear option, web wise! :wink:

Thanks is cool...but to be honest "SUCKS" has better utility IMHO. Any chance of getting a "SUCKS" button ?

NetDoc:
You've posted this thought twice in this thread as elsewhere on ScubaBoard, but I can't recall you actually admitting to being wrong or apologizing for it.

And it doesn't matter how many times it happens, you will never remember it.

Was I wrong this time? If I am, I missed where Cave Diver said he meant something else.

NetDoc:
Perhaps if I send you the pound of flesh that you seem to seek it would be enough?

What in the hell are you talking about? The only time I mentioned you in this thread, it was in a very positive manner.

What in the hell are you talking about? The only time I mentioned you in this thread, it was in a very positive manner.
CD patiently explained what happened and how I apologized for my mistake... but you're still not accepting that. Ah well. If you don't get it by now, you probably never will.

Pete, you quoted me when I was explaining to ScubaSteve that I believe he misunderstood to whom Cave Diver was referring. That has absolutely nothing to do with you nor with any mistake you may have made.

As for your mistake, yes that was explained. You misunderstood the staff consensus and disabled the thanks button. When you realized your mistake you put the thanks button back. What has not been explained is why the thanks counter was not put back at that time or since, especially since the thanks counter was not what caused the original "problem." I still don't understand why it was considered a problem. I realize you are under no obligation to explain, but you usually do explain this type of thing. I want no pound of flesh, I want no flesh at all. I'm merely curious.

Here's the short story Walter: We felt it best for the Board. It has promoted the development of factions and in fact it still does. The removal of the thanks count has ameliorated that somewhat, though not nearly as much as I would like to see. ScubaBoard exists to promote diving. The incessant negativity and drama produced by a few are way counterproductive to that end. The thanks button, and the counter enable the dog piling mentality.

Go into the New to Scuba sections and read the response from the OP's view point. Often it's a "Whack-a-Mole" mentality bolstered by the use of the thanks button. Everyone is trying to show that their standards are the highest and posting things like "how did you even get a c-card", etc. Noobs and even some veterans are simply AFRAID to post their experiences because of this sort of phenomenon. Does it affect my advertising revenue? Of course. Is that what worries me? Not really. What really angers me, and it's real anger, is the constant sniping of the dive industry, the resorts, the manufacturers and even the instructors. It's not needed and it DESTROYS our community. The sad part is that it reduces our collective effect for good that we have on the dive industry. NO OTHER ENTITY has brought about as much positive change for dive instruction as ScubaBoard has. Yet, our bully pulpit is being undermined by the incessant negativity and the need by a few to constantly demean the industry.

Do YOU have a solution? If so, I would LOVE to hear it. I would love to hear from ANYONE who thinks they have the answer.

Thanks for your response, Pete. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

NetDoc:
Go into the New to Scuba sections and read the response from the OP's view point.

I will, is there a particular thread?

What is "Whack-a-Mole"?

NetDoc:
posting things like "how did you even get a c-card"

I can see where that could be a problem. I can see where such a post being thanked could be a problem. I don't see how the thank count would be a problem.

NetDoc:
Do YOU have a solution?

I've not yet looked at the issue, but I will. I may or may not have ideas about it, but if I do, I will share them with you.

The removal of the thanks count has ameliorated that somewhat, though not nearly as much as I would like to see.

I had to look up ameliorated. Thank you for the new word in my vocab NetDoc.

Back
Top Bottom