What is a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is the entry level professional certification for recreational scuba diving. The details vary somewhat by certification agency, but basically a dive master has completed the traditional recreational training levels (open water, advanced open water, rescue, a CPR / First Aid / EFR course, etc). They then have completed further study and testing on dive-related physics, phisiology, equipment, theory, etc. They have also spent some time in the classroom setting assisting instructors and helping students learn. Lastly, they are certified to conduct certian activities, such as leading groups of divers (professionally), etc.

This is not to be confused with the PADI "Master Diver" certification which is all of the recreational training plus a number of PADI specialty certifications.

It is also the first step for a dive professional. It carries with it a ton of liability and very little reward. Still, there are a lot of divers taking the program. More, I suspect, for the education than the leadership tasks. Were I younger, I might consider taking the program but I would never work in a situation where I was responsible for the wellbeing of other divers. Many others do...

Richard

A divemaster is also the person on boats that gives the dive briefing, helps divers with gear issues, etc. The divemaster position on most resort area dive boats is now filled by person(s) with instructor certifications.

It is also the first step for a dive professional. It carries with it a ton of liability and very little reward. Still, there are a lot of divers taking the program. More, I suspect, for the education than the leadership tasks. Were I younger, I might consider taking the program but I would never work in a situation where I was responsible for the wellbeing of other divers. Many others do...

Richard

A lot of work and little monitary reward I agree, the faces of new students learning scuba is another matter, esp the young ones. I suspect that's 90% of why most instructors instruct and I'm sure the reason most DMs are DMs.....unless you really like the smell of chlorine and carring tanks. :)

I am a Divemaster, until next spring.....

what is a dive master. I ask because my dad asked me and i have no idea.
He is some guy you have to dive with sometimes in some places, to be in compliance with local regulations. This happens usually in the name of "protecting" dive sites and things that might be found there, but personally, I think it's all about providing low-income jobs for people - much like the prohibition against pumping your own gas in places like Oregon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom