What is a semi-dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be more accurately called a semi-wet suit.

totally agreed!

We have Mares "Semi-Wets", both the man and the woman versions. They have a drysuit zipper in the back and you'll need help to get it zipped up. The wrists and ankles and neck are drysuit seals also and can be tough to get on and off. The other thing is that since the mm is like 9, the thickness can make the suit a bit more stiff to move around in on the surface.

Our thinking was that if we got these then we wouldn't need drysuits. WRONG! Since you do still get wet, it can still be fairly cold. But not as cold as wearing a 3mm in 75f temperature water.

And SudDo2.. If you havent figured out in "several thousand dives" that your suit dont have to leak, I have to wonder..

Tigerman, let me enlighten you. From Dec 2007 to July 2008 I logged 150 dives ranging from 30 - 185 ffw/fsw testing the new Bare CD-6 Commercial Suit and the already in production CD-4 which I noticed is the same suit you claim to wear. Myself and several other commercial and technical divers put these suits through their paces over a period of 6 months testing them in all imaginable conditions and activities the suits could be expected to encounter in real world working use. Different thicknesses, sizes and finishes of neoprene were experimented with on the wrist and neck seals. Latex and silicone wrist and neck seals of various sizing, thickness and durometer were also tested and evaluated. EVERY diver testing the suits encountered leaks while performing certain tasks, work and activities relating to commercial and technical diving. The breadth and depth of dive experience, knowledge and certification possessed by those taking part in the testing and evaluation far exceeds anything one with only 4 years of dive experience, an undeterminable number of unlogged dives and a PADI AOW certification might have to draw upon. So please, tell me what I haven't figured out or what I'm doing wrong. I am anxiously awaiting you retort.

Sincerely,

SurDo2.

Last edited:
I dont know what you do, so I wouldnt know. All I know is that no, drysuits is not by default leaking. And yes, I do more than jump into the water and follow the flow. I do actually happen to do "work" down there as well and changing my position in the water, moving my head/neck and my hands around doesnt make the suit leak. If I get it cought on something, sure it can leak, but thats not exactly the suits fault if I do.

And people like yourself who try to use peoples information about when and with who they got certified and number of dives as their "trump card" is the very reason why I dont bother stating updated information in my profile. I dont care for that kind of pissing contests..

Back to the original post.
I had a Aqualung SolAfx 8/7 Semi-Dry. They are without a doubt Warmer than a regular wetsuit. I bought one before I was even certified, Because everyone told me how cold the Quarry was. And I knew in order to get experience I would have to dive local. Well during OW dives I got Heat stroke in it. Had to reschedule Dives for two weeks later and use Rental 7mm. and yes the quarry was very cold. 1 month later I did the AOW and again rented 7mm. Did 3 dives Saturday very COLD in 7mm. Sunday Took my Semi-Dry for the Deep Dive. I Suited up in the water, and we started the dive right away. 89' 46 degrees F on my Computer and the Dive Instructors. I was warm, not toasty but no chill either, however Icecream headache from gap between hood and mask. [due to hurry to get cooled off, not adjusted properly]. I'll grant you I was not down there long, 10 minutes maybe. However the difference between that and a regular 7mm is night and day. I had no water circulation in the suit. I had to open the zipper all the way and tug open the wrist seals to keep from overheating at shallow depth [high 60's F] for the last dive of the day. Not a Drysuit but Definately warmer than wet. For the Price difference I would go Dry, though I haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom