What is an "S-Drill"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Yeah, I know it's not very DIRish to say this, but there is definitely a line where team safety is not affected by a change. I consider bolt snap placement one of those issues that is definitely on the personal preference side of things. :)
Sometimes i think it's more DIR-ish to use your head in your environment and understand exactly what you've said here to be true. This isn't the only personal preference thing I've noticed that I don't believe is a real issue. I doubt we'll let the Pers/Pref thing get away on us though :)

If this particular issue was that cut and dried it would have been sorted out years ago.

Uhoh, we're in trouble now :wink: lol.

Steve R:
I know Dan's preference was always the two-loop/bolt snap. When I was in Akumal a few months ago, we used updated protocols. I waited for the shoe to drop, but nothing was mentioned about my two-loops.

We continue to hash it out by diving and seeing what we run into. Maybe we'll change, maybe we won't.
I actually do both things. I have a small bolt snap on the Goodman handle and 2 loops holding a double ender. I don't like how the light hangs on the front bungee loop, so I use the attached bolt snap, but I like how the light hangs from the back loop when the light is not in use.

Plus, I think of the double ender as a convenient "spare" to be used when required.

I'm a great believer in "things that affect the team" and things that don't. I can't imagine a circumstance where one of my team members is going to have to know how I've secured my light. As long as I know . . .

Getting wound up in things like this is one of the things that puts people off the DIR approach to diving, because we don't look thoughtful, we look fanatic :)

JeffG:
But I see the list is just made up of (quite frankly) trivial stuff.

I completely agree. The point I'm trying to make is that GUE has now standardised many things since Dress for Success was published and therefore the book is not a perfect reference as far as a GUE class is concerned. A GUE instructor will teach according to the standards and, I am sure, have a perfectly good explanation of by GUE wants to do certain things a certain way. What one does after the class one is free to decide.

JeffG:
Stroke dung. :wink:
That's two words.
TSandM:
Getting wound up in things like this is one of the things that puts people off the DIR approach to diving, because we don't look thoughtful, we look fanatic :)
Wound up, maybe. But I was actually attracted by the detailed debate and analysis of the gear configuration. I still like talking about (or just reading you guys talking about) the small stuff. Not the insulting arguments that sometimes ensue (you're gonna' kill the team with that zip tie, you stroke). But I enjoy hashing out whether a loop on the front with a double ender is or is not better than a permanently tied on clip.

Beats the debates they are having HERE.

BTW, I use the two loop double ender. Like Jeff, I didn't like the way the double ender, when clipped in the front, hangs the light lower and not as snug as the smaller permanent clip. Then I read from someone here to just loop the double ender up through the handle before clipping off, and that does work great at keeping the light tight and snug.

JeffG:
I actually do both things. I have a small bolt snap on the Goodman handle and 2 loops holding a double ender. I don't like how the light hangs on the front bungee loop, so I use the attached bolt snap, but I like how the light hangs from the back loop when the light is not in use.

Plus, I think of the double ender as a convenient "spare" to be used when required.
To be honest with you, I think of all the way's I've tried, I think this is my personal preference as well, but I got tired of wasting cave line being compliant :) and left it how it currently is, but now that we're back to discussing it and it's moved higher up the priority chain I think you've talked me into doing it your way again. A bolt snap that can't fall off is what I like about this most. especailly when you're prone to dropping $12.00 SS double-enders.

Stroke-dung.........the hyphen makes it one word-ish I think. :)

I'll probably kill the team doing it, but hey sometimes things just happen. :wink:

Steve R:
I'll probably kill the team doing it, but hey sometimes things just happen. :wink:
!%&@ em, if they can't take a joke. :wink:

Rick Inman:
That's two words.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=190681

BTW, I use the two loop double ender. Like Jeff, I didn't like the way the double ender, when clipped in the front, hangs the light lower and not as snug as the smaller permanent clip. Then I read from someone here to just loop the double ender up through the handle before clipping off, and that does work great at keeping the light tight and snug.

Use the same end of the double-ender to capture both the loop on the handle and the D-ring on the chest and Bob's your uncle for keeping it snug. I don't know what you mean about looping the double ender through the handle but my initial reaction is that is not needed when you do it the way I just mentioned.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom