What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow:
Rambo-style knife on the leg.
I beg to differ... I've gone from my 'baby' pig-sticker to 'steak' knife... Now I'm back to a 13" pig sticker (but hey... I'm diving a doublehose now too!)

I'm in agreement about the +$15 snorkel... or anything made of titanium

Damselfish:
Naturally one persons orange shovel is another's favorite. I've been using a slap strap for years and enjoy my hair remaining attached to my head. (I think the logo's worn off, does that make it ok? And putting my console (horrors!) on a retractor works for me too.

Those yoke screw tank lights are losers in my book. And the tank bangers that have a plastic ball on a stretchy loop. Scum balls. Mesh tank covers. And pig stickers.

Oh, the slap strap is a winner in my book - don't get me wrong. But mine are either blank or have my name embroidered on them, etc.

If a dive op or shop wants to pay me to advertise them, fine - lets negotiate. But I'm just past the point in my life where I receive power by affiliation with a shop or resort. Its been my experience that most noobs are still in the dewy rush of their affiliation with the certifying shop or resort - hence their willingness to pimp the place for free.

Its like people that have this need to never been seen on a dive boat, beach, shore, shop or around other divers without sporting their dive T-shirts. You know the ones... from the very fresh "divers do it deeper" variety, to the people that cough up $25 for a Senior Jimmy's CozumelBonaireCoco resort T-shirt - especially the ones that sport the threadbare and faded variety in an effort to either hold on to the good times (OK, I guess... sort of a resort hobo chic thing) or desparately trying to shout to the world "I'm a travel diver, and have been for a long time.. this rag was once new, and fit me...."

K

There are 'orange shovels' in nearly every hobby it seems.

Nope. Even when I rode 200 miles a week, I refused to shave my legs.

I've got the orange whistle (on d-ring on the back of my BC). AND, I like my mesh back pack for my gear.

My other hobby is flying radio controlled airplanes. Been doing that for nearly 20 years now - far more than half my life. The orange shovel in that hobby is the obvious newbie trainer-airplane, ultra clean tool tote with nothing more than a screw driver or two, and brand new fuel pump and scratchless glow plug battery.

Ride Hard, Dive Hard, Fly Harder.

Well I for one won't be pressured into giving up my beloved neoprene mask straps. 14 years thus far and I don't see myself getting rid of them anytime soon :D

Mo2vation:
If a dive op or shop wants to pay me to advertise them, fine - lets negotiate. But I'm just past the point in my life where I receive power by affiliation with a shop or resort.
I guess we should stop buying the clothes with those fancy logos on them too, lest we be affiliated with the clothing manufacturers.:wink:
Mo2vation:
Its like people that have this need to never been seen on a dive boat, beach, shore, shop or around other divers without sporting their dive T-shirts.
I especially like the ones that have two or three and feel the need to bring them on a trip just to show that they have been someplace else too.

For me, the orange shovel is those straps I bought to help me carry my tanks. You know the type made of some sort of webbing with the plastic handle and velcro.

mello-yellow:
Rambo-style knife on the leg.
They are a real give away that you're a wannabe. (BTW, if anyone has a cheap one for sale I'll take it off your hands so you won't look so stupid.)

johnny_bravo:
Two words: Pig Sticker :14:

pigstickers.jpg

What about them? They make my tank smoother and me swim faster. :D

The Kraken:
Tank bangers or tank wraps.

the K

I used to think tank wraps were dumb, and then I was exposed to tanks on a professional level. I've seen some pretty deep external gashes on AL80 tanks that were cause for the tank to be condemned. I've wondered whether a cheap tank wrap would have saved the owner $150 for a new bottle.

Mo2vation:
An orange whistle clipped to your chest D-Ring

Not sure about this one. If I need to get someone's attention, I don't want to go digging!

On a different note, I don't care so much for the newbie gear as I do for the "oldie" gear. You can excuse new people and their excitement, but it's hard to excuse people who have been around for a while and either still buy this stuff, or whom haven't updated their [unsafe] gear in 20 years. If anything, you might say that we'll laugh at them and they'll look like a dork. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom