• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by JGBrown, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Darryl Bowerman

Darryl Bowerman Dive Equipment Manufacturer

How could anyone forget the SCUDA.......

Self Contained Underwater Drinking Appartus...Ah the memories....

2. J.R.

J.R. Divemaster

Fun thread...

For me the 'orange shovel' is anybody who needs to brag up *thier style*... as far as gear goes, wear what ya' need... if orange whistles make ya' feel a bit more comfortable against some possible catastrophy... cool... maybe your focus will be on diving rather than the possible catastrophy.

Big Dive Knives... I still have mine from back in the 70's... need to break it out. Heck... I could tout it as an "old timer's badge" ("Yea... it may be BIG... but its OLD... which means VINTAGE... which means I'M FRIGGN' COOLER THAN YOU!!!") Tee-hee

Tank Bangers... Why the heck do ya' think we wore those big muckin' knives??? Sheesh... it's a multi-function device. Ya' can hammer with it... it reduces the amount of lead ya' gotta' carry (another common peeve I saw on this thread), it makes a great pry bar... umm... ya' can open beer cans with it... ... AND IT LOOKS COOL... them little 'toothpicks' they're selling these days are just downright embarrasing...

... naw... the only thing that sez' "noobie" to me is if ya' bring yer' gear on the boat in the same box ya' just bought it in... after that... ya' ain't a noobie... yer' "gaining experience"...

... ok... the thing about the dive t-shirts from places ya' never been to ... that's a good one...

AND ONE MORE QUESTION... what's wrong with wearin' an OW patch... or AOW patch? Doesn't RULE #3 of diving say, "Look cool?" (Well... ok... if yer' hanging with the Calypso crowd maybe an OW patch ain't cool... but if yer' up here in the midwest where the largest body of water is often Billy-Bob's backyard pool... an OW patch is very cool...)

... gotta' get more coffee...

... rock on...

3. fjsala

fjsala Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24

4. Phenol

Phenol Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Here's a true Orange Shovel: a large slate.

I should have done like my wiser buddy and initially gone for a small slate, but I thought: hey, you never know when you'll need to map a huge wreck, write an epic to your buddy, or sketch a fish at 1:1 scale for later ID, right? And of course, you'll need a big plastic spinnaker to do long division at 90' during your AOW Deep Dive, right?

But it was annoying to dive with, so it ended up staying in the gear bag 99% of the time.

5. muddiver

muddiver Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Tht's why old school divers, who feel they might need to write underwater, know that the best slate is the side you cut out of a bleach bottle and bungeed to your forearm. A #2 writes on it just fine.

6. geraldp

geraldp Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Go suck an egg...

:D

7. J.R.

J.R. Divemaster

Saw something like this at a dive museum down in the Keys... it was a comfortable length of PVC with two holes drilled in it... a piece of surgical tubing run through and knotted to provide the tension against the arm... one tail of the tubing was left longish and the pencil eraser end jambed in there... slate rotated on the arm. Very 'old school'... dang practicle. Think I'm gonna' put one in my kit...

8. snepdiver

snepdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    From what I have noticed. The orange shovel I have seen is not a piece of equipment but a question. "What is this DIR stuff I keep hearing about?"

9. LakeScubaDiver

LakeScubaDiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hmm...I have the same 3 hobbies...except it's heli's...and my fuel pump is an old $10 pump duct-taped to a 6V battery!

10. Vtdiver2

Vtdiver2 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I love Scubaboard.....I've been called a MOF'er and now a "Multiple Orange Shovel" carrier. I may need to get a tattoo :10: :D :rofl3: :mooner:
    C-Dawg