What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may be true of some of the responses, but I am also tired of recreational divers constantly being pushed towards gear that was designed for technical diving regardless if it applies to their current diving. Or they are told to sell their newly purchased traditional recreational gear because it is inferior. What percentage of recreational divers move on to technical ?

True, some gear is indeed better, but, better in what aspect, for what kind of diving ? Does that mean the gear that is inferior in comparison is inadequate ? Do the benefits and features of said gear make a big difference in recreational diving ? Definitely, sometimes, maybe, not really ?

I am a gear head, I want what is best. But, best for me and the type of diving I do. I dive a BP/W. My wife, sister and brother choose not to. We all happily dive together regardless of our choice of BCD, fins, dive computer, regulator setup.

To each their own indeed and I will say the "emotion" has definitely calmed down which is a welcome change. :thumb:

They were originally developed for technical diving, but there's really nothing about them that's more 'technical' than any other BC when set up for single tank diving. Similarly, certain models of regulators are especially popular with the technical diving crowd because they have a 5th LP port, but that does not mean that every recreational diver with a mk25 has been pushed to technical gear. Same for spring straps, thigh pockets, spools, or DPVs; they are not permanently bound to be associated with where they came from.

My wife and I took a little while to warm up to it--some people take to a BP/W immediately, but we did not. However, once we succumbed to its charms, we never looked back. Anyway, do not buy one without trying it first, preferably with someone who can show you the ropes on how to adjust it, etc.

Try before you buy? Maybe, but I'll relate my experiences over 12+ years of designing, manufacturing, fitting divers and providing customer service for DSS BP&W's

1) 1-2 Try dives may not be enough. A Back Plate and wing is nearly infinitely adjustable, but that "feature" carries with it a greater burden on initial setup. One has to be willing to fuss with it a bit. Most will be close on the first few dives and refine a bit after that, a few will struggle a bit more. The reports here support that. Most report success more or less out of the box, and a few need more dives to get dialed in.

In short 1 pool dive could well be insufficient to make an informed choice.

2) Starting with goods that are appropriate is key. The modular nature of a BP&W is one of the primary strengths of the concept, but it also carries the risk that the wrong size, or type of Plate, harness, or wing is selected. That makes optimizing more challenging. This is the key reason I have always preferred to make a specific recommendation based on the specific application of a given diver, height and weight, exposure suit, cylinders used, type of diving etc.

3) Few Local dive shops sell BP&W, fewer still offer a range of choices, and fewer still have much expertise in fitting and adjusting BP&W's (There of course some shops that do a great job with BP&W's These shops sell a lot of them.)

I've sold many 1000's of BP&W's. The majority were to divers that had never used on, never seen one in use, and they assembled and set up the gear themselves. How many were returned by divers that never succeeded in making them work? Maybe 8. Less than one per year.

No doubt some of this is due to self selection, the typical BP&W user (and particularly DSS customers) are in the top percentile in "Scuba Smarts" :) (Better looking than average too :wink: )

But jokes aside a back plate and wing is not rocket science, and if one starts with package that is reasonably appropriate for their application most will conquer the learning curve.

Tobin

And thanks to helpful Tobin, we love our DSS BP/Ws. :) I agree that one dive in a pool is insufficient. We took the course that was then known as GUE Primer, so we had at least a full day in the water with an instructor. Even after that, we were totally unsure whether a BP/W was for us (never mind the added GUE-specific stuff). We LIKED our traditional BCs on which we had a couple of hundred dives and were completely comfortable with. It was difficult to part with them. It took many dives, but the BP/W now feels almost like an extension of my body--something I don't think I felt with the traditional BC.

And thanks to helpful Tobin, we love our DSS BP/Ws. :) I agree that one dive in a pool is insufficient. We took the course that was then known as GUE Primer, so we had at least a full day in the water with an instructor. Even after that, we were totally unsure whether a BP/W was for us (never mind the added GUE-specific stuff). We LIKED our traditional BCs on which we had a couple of hundred dives and were completely comfortable with. It was difficult to part with them. It took many dives, but the BP/W now feels almost like an extension of my body--something I don't think I felt with the traditional BC.

It can be a genuine dilemma. With the exception of those with a "Tech Friendly" or BP&W receptive dive shop nearby, or a local mentor who can lend gear and help with the initial setup "trying" a BP&W can be a steep hill to climb. Fortunately (for me anyway :) ) the inherent risk taking personalities attracted to Scuba have been willing to take the leap.

Tobin

Similar images passed through my mind while designing one for a back-mount tank. Motorcycle inner tube?
Inner tube for sure, sadly I don't know what vehicle from. :wink:
It was just the picture that came to my mind reading this thread.

They were originally developed for technical diving, but there's really nothing about them that's more 'technical' than any other BC when set up for single tank diving. Similarly, certain models of regulators are especially popular with the technical diving crowd because they have a 5th LP port, but that does not mean that every recreational diver with a mk25 has been pushed to technical gear. Same for spring straps, thigh pockets, spools, or DPVs; they are not permanently bound to be associated with where they came from.

Things have toned down recently. The days of "you're gonna die" are thankfully gone from recreational threads.

Nothing wrong with polite discussion or debate, but some refuse to respect an alternate opinion or are condescending with their remarks.

Dive computers: Shearwater is the only choice, everything else is bad value or a paperweight.

Fins and kick style: Sell your fins (brand new) and get a stiff paddle fin to frog kick (posted in the new diver section to a freshly OW cert diver). Frog kick is the best kick for 99% of all diving. You kick up sand, you just don't know it. A flutter kick will kick up sand if you are within 6 ft of the bottom.

BPW and 1 piece harness: New casual diver who knows no one to help them setup a BPW and admits to being poor at using their hands or following written/video directions. Wants to buy their 1st BCD for trip in 2 weeks. I suggested to rent BCD. Response was, renting is a waste of money, buy once, buy right, buy a BPW and 1 piece harness online. Watch setup video on youtube.

I use a BPW with 1 piece harness, but that is not for everyone. The hardline approach of some members pushes people away.

Last edited:
has anyone actually measured the weight of a complete lightweight bpw system? i can find the weight of the plate and wing. how much more does the harness, d rings, cam band, weight pockets, etc add?

the cressi travelight is advertised as 5 to 6.2 lbs depending upon size. the previous flex bcd is even lighter since it did not have a quick release integrated weight system. it has a set of weight pockets inside the bcd pocket - not a smart idea as they become very difficult to ditch quickly.

XDeep Ghost weighs in at 2.2 Kg, ~4-4.5# It is not a traditional BP/W system, but built on that approach.

XDeep Ghost weighs in at 2.2 Kg, ~4-4.5# It is not a traditional BP/W system, but built on that approach.
So pretty much about the same as a Cressi Air Travel BCD.

Back
Top Bottom