What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago 2 small planes crashed off the coast of South Palm Beach, Florida. Soon after someone off the boat I was on brought up a suitcase from one of the planes. The boat was divided into 2 groups, those who thought it was a fascinating conversation piece, and the rest of us who thought it was a bad luck omen and wouldn't go near the thing. In fact, one diver said he had seen it earlier on the bottom and just left it there.

I would have to say the strangest thing I ever found underwater was a skelatonized cow at about 40 feet in the St. Lawrence river. I uncovered the entire vertebral column, and a few ribs - all lined up nicely. I spent the rest of the dive trying to figure out how a cow ended up in the middle of the St Lawrence.

A bunch of fake doubloons off South Florida. I thought they were funny and was collecting some while tagging along behind an OW class. Some of the students must have thought they were real, because they started diving into the sandy bottom in a frenzy looking for some of their own. It took a minute to calm them down. I always have a giggle remembering that one!

2 oddities:

In 40' of water, a half mile off the coast of Jamaica: A complete "lifecycle" (exercise bike)-the pedals still worked.

Inside a rather long (50'),rather wide (10') swimthru/tunnel??: a complete working BC/tank/regulator "kit"- with 1500psi of air-and nobody in sight.

Mike

>Inside a rather long (50'),rather wide (10') swimthru/tunnel??: a complete working >BC/tank/regulator "kit"- with 1500psi of air-and nobody in sight.

Mike, that's REALLY scary! What did you end up doing with it / finding out about it?

I guess this isn't as odd and I thought it was at the time... While in Hawaii diving off black rock I found a pair of sunglasses and car keys together. I turned them into the Hotel Lost n' Found after the dive. I can only assume a snorkeler lost them.

rottielover:
>Inside a rather long (50'),rather wide (10') swimthru/tunnel??: a complete working >BC/tank/regulator "kit"- with 1500psi of air-and nobody in sight.

Mike, that's REALLY scary! What did you end up doing with it / finding out about it?

Hi Rottielover,

This happened a really long time ago- late "70s, and there isn't a real "ending" to the story.
As I recall:
There were four of us diving, me, a friend of mine, and 2 guys he knew from work, one being the boat owner.
At first, we weren't sure what to do with the gear. As we were near the end of the dive, we left it where it was, surfaced, went to the boat, and unsuccessfully tried to contact the police (bad radio). We hung around on the boat- above the site -for about an hour, until close to dusk, (long enough for the "rightful owner" to appear, if that was going to happen). While we waited, we talked about "what/how/why....". and came up with some pretty weird scenarios.
We then retrieved the gear, and the guy who owned the boat said he'd turn it in to the police.
He did, and I heard that about a month (?) later, the cops returned it to him, saying that nobody had claimed the gear, or even reported it missing.
The "new owner" said that he was too "creeped out" to use it. I agree.

Take care,
Mike

I have never found anything "odd" but my wife has, I guess.

We were diving the Au Sable River one day and she found a shoe, about 20 minutes farther down the river she found the other one!

I don't know what the wierdest thing I found was, but I will say the wierdet thing that has ever happened to me is the time I was diving and I took off my set of gear and laid it down in this tunnel I thought no one would ever find. I surfaced, and went back to the boat. I figured the next day I would give my buddies the GPS coordinates and see if they could find it and how well their underwater navigation skills were. They found the tunnel but said my gear wasn't there. How wierd is that??

I'm just playing around that's a wierd story miked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom