What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooops, I thought the post said "oldest" thing!

Barracuda2:
I dove the U352 off NC in 1980 (?), just about 5 yrs after it was found and before all of the ordinance was removed and hatches welded shut by the Navy. The forward torpedo loading hatch was open. as were conning tower, and we got into the forward room where I got a plastic name plate from below a guage. It reads "Treibolschalter" which I have yet to find out what it means. On the back it has ""I - 05" imprinted; don't know what that stands for either. It now decorates my memoribelia hutch. Also found the ball end of a femur bone, and of course, left it there. I wanted to drop through the conning tower hatch, but that meant removing fins and tank and pulling them in after me; didn't think that was a good idea at 115 ft. and not planned. I thought maybe that would be the next time I dove this sub, but the Navy came along later and welded her up and removed the aft torpedo that stuck out and a torpedo that was strapped to the hull and was laying next to the sub. It was an exciting dive.
Barracuda2,
"Treibolschalter " in german translates to "float switch". Treibol=float /schalter=switch

Scuba Brad:
I was talking with a friend today who had been diving in Hawaii just off the coast of a world class golf course. I guess their formations of coral where awesome. In any case, he came up to a formation that looked rather odd. As he examined it further he realized it was a Titleist Metal Driver probably in its time around a $600 club. It had found its way into the middle of a coral formation......and was not becoming part of the formation. Now can you imagine the feeling that golfer had as I watched his $600 driver fly towards the deep blue? Even more surprise to have a diver find it later...........coral encased. He also mentioned he found around 100 golf balls in various condition..........and TWO other golf clubs bent in two. As a golfer myself I just had to laugh.

Ok sooooooo here is the question: What is the most odd, strange, wierd, out of place, or funny thing you have ever come across deep in the ocean?

Happy Diving

A half a mannequin with blue fins attached to it.

humber-16oct2005-10.jpg

That is bizarre Warren.

I found a credit card once in Hawaii. Of course a credit card isn't much use without ID, right? Well, the drivers license was stting right next to it.

Looks as if they had just been dropped. I gave them to the hotel manager...hopefully they mailed them back to the owner (although I called the card company and the card was already cancelled).

Scuba Brad:
I was talking with a friend today who had been diving in Hawaii just off the coast of a world class golf course. I guess their formations of coral where awesome. In any case, he came up to a formation that looked rather odd. As he examined it further he realized it was a Titleist Metal Driver probably in its time around a $600 club. It had found its way into the middle of a coral formation......and was not becoming part of the formation. Now can you imagine the feeling that golfer had as I watched his $600 driver fly towards the deep blue? Even more surprise to have a diver find it later...........coral encased. He also mentioned he found around 100 golf balls in various condition..........and TWO other golf clubs bent in two. As a golfer myself I just had to laugh.

Ok sooooooo here is the question: What is the most odd, strange, wierd, out of place, or funny thing you have ever come across deep in the ocean?

Happy Diving
I have found a full sized electric cooker ( with grill ) a logburner, roofrack, wheel barrow, car engine, car, beer bottles (full of beer) last month alone.
In new zealnd you have to pay to take your rubbish to the local dump, guess what happens if you have a boat and do not want to pay to tip your junk........

catherine96821:
There is a Buddha statue in the bay below my house. I always wonder who put it there.
You live mauka from the original house on Kalanianaole Highway that Ferdinand Marcos lived in when he decamped from the Phillipines. The origins of his rise to power occured when he found parts of the Phillipine treasury that the Japanese had looted and hidden in the jungle pending removal to Japan.
One of the key items in the treasury was a gold Buddha, and the mystery attached to it was part of the reason that FM developed his aura of power and surged his rise in Filipino politics. People with Marcos in those days of World War II later verified the finding of the Buddha, but it was never seen again.
Until now.

Havn't found anything odd yet, but would love to see the look on the face of a diver that found a fully furnished living room complete with coffee mugs and a tv set. (Now that gives me an idea).

Back
Top Bottom