What is YOUR setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voy77

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of gear do you use, and what kind of diving do you typicall do with it?

I personally have not made my major gear purchases, but I am looking into:

Mares Dragonfly AirTrim
Cochran Commander (Possibly Gemini)
Mares (?) SPG / Depth / Compass
Mares M22 1st and Abyss 2nd Stage
Not sure which Octo, probably another manufacturer, for a mixture.
I currently have a pair of Quattros, but I am strongly considering a TUSA Zoom.
Some kinda wetsuit (possibly dry suit as well)
A few steel tanks
MAYBE the Neptune II FFM, if it fits well.
PROBABLY a Spare Air, as I dont intend to go much beyond 60 ft, and I dont intend to do deco dives, but maybe a small pony instead.

I intend to do mostly warm water tropical style diving and some beach diving, in fairly warm water. Maybe some quarry diving as well.

What about you?
Do you think thats a reasonable setup?

First off, why would you need a full face mask for the diving you've described? They are generally used for diving in contaminated water.

Do a search on this board for "Spare Air" and then decide if it's still a good idea. Ditto on the pony. Unless you're solo diving, your buddy is your backup air.

Anyway, this is my setup for recreational diving. Currently diving in 50-60F water, but I'll be taking mostly the same gear on my eventual somewhere-sunny dive trip later this year.

Halcyon 36lb Pioneer wing and stainless steel backplate
FredT heavy single tank adapter
95cf LP steel tank
Apeks DST/TX50/TX40, 6' primary hose, necklaced backup
Suunto SPG on 24" hose
Suunto SK6 compass (left arm)
Suunto Octopus II computer (right arm) (thinking of replacing)
Cressi Big Eyes mask
Cressi SpaceFrog fins (thinking of replacing)
7mm semidry wetsuit (thinking of replacing with drysuit)
Princeton Tec Shockwave primary light
Canadian Extreme delrin backup lights

Ben

Theres a post similar to this one, but I am also looking for why people use the setups they do, e.g. what kind of diving they do.

The FFM is something I am only considering, but I like the fact that even if you become unconsious, you can remain breathing. Also, they are much harder to knock off. I would carry a spare mask with one anyway.

I intend to most likely at some point do some solo diving, so I like the redundancy of the FFM. I also am more of the opinion (its my INTP nature) that a diver with a buddy equates to 2 people sharing the moment. (Thanks solodiver for that quote, its so appropriate.) I feel that I should be responsible for my own air, and a buddy's air is a last case, everything else failed kind of situation.

The Spare Air posts I have been following on the board. I like them for shallow no deco diving, otherwise they simply dont give enough air to get to the surface.

Henderson Octo Boots.
Harvey's Gloves and Hood.
USIA Dry Suit or Action Plus 7MM wetsuit.
DiveTek BC.
Atomic B1/T2 Regulator.
Aeris Atmos Pro Computer.
AirII Safe Second/Inflator.
2 LP Steel 80's
2 LP Steel 95's
Cressi Space Frog Fins
OceanMaster Z2 Mask.
Various Knifes, lights ect...

Most of my diving is in the Puget Sound Region or on the Oregon Coast. Water temp about 50, a lot of current some days and none on others. Vis runs from 4' to 60' depending on seasons.

Scott

(Here's what I've been using for Texas lake and Caribbean dives, should be good til I gotta get some wings...

SeaQuest BlackDiamond BC (last year's model @ half-price)
Apeks ATX/DS4, 5' primary hose (ordered from simplyscuba)
SeaQuest AirSource II combo inflator/regulator
Suunto SM-26 SPG on 30" hose
Suunto SK6 compass wrist-mount
Suunto Mosquito computer
Suunto SM-16 depth gauge (backup in pocket)
Mares Tempra mask
Dacor Alpha fins (thinking of replacing)
SeaQuest 3mm shortie; DeepSee polarfleece
DeepSee tropical booties; O'Neill 5mm booties
DeepSee 3mm gloves; Tusa tropical gloves
UK SL6 and Ikelite PCa lights
rental tanks; 5mm wetsuit (borrowed when needed)

Here goes... Since I'm not yet certified I don't have much :wink:

Scubapro:
Mk16/G250HP Regulator
Knighthawk BCD
Twin Jet Fins
Cold Water Boots
Cold Water Gloves
Air II

Catalina:
Aluminum 80 Tank

Suunto:
Mosquito Computer
Dive Manager Software/Cable

Tusa:
Liberator X Mask

Genesis:
Mojave Dry Snorkel

IkeLite:
PCa Light

Mares:
Isotherm Millennium 6.5 Semi Dry
Hood

Bonica:
Sea King II Camera
Quick Release Arm
Close-Up Kit

Aqua Lung:
Mini Zak Beta Knife

Other:
Sea Snips
Tablet
Various Clips
Spare Knife
Save-a-Dive Kit
44 Pounds of BC Weight (two sets!)
Ankle Weights

I know there's more, but without looking at it, it's hard to recall everything!

I will dive mostly local lakes during summer months, but will also dive carribean waters several times a year.

Mares Tropics 3mm Jumpsuit
Mares Tropics 3mm shorty
Titanium 2.5mm shorty vest (for tropics and over jumpsuit for cold)
Mares 2mm reef gloves
Henderson 3mm hood
Reefmaster 3mm boots (shorties)
Mares Avanti Quattro fins
Mares Opera Mask
Seavision UltraPlus Mask
Oceanmaster DryFlex Snorkel
Mares MR12 Epos regulator
Mares Axis Octopus
Suunto Cobra dive computer
OceanMaster Titanium knife (sharp)
Mares Vector 1000 BCD
Alum. 80 tank for standard dives
Alum. 63 tank for pool/training dives & shallow reef dives

As you can see, I have a lot of Mares equipment. Most of my diving will be in warm water, but sometimes pretty chilly in local lakes below the thermocline. If the water is very cold, I can wear my 2.5mil shorty vest over the top of my 3mm jumpsuit. If the water is average I can wear just the jumpsuit, if the water is a bit warmer I can wear the standard shorty, or if the water is even warmer I can wear just the shorty/vest by itself.

I liked the Opera mask for its fit, its low volume, its clear silicone skirt, and of course its looks. I added the Seavision mask for the color correcting lenses for deep dives and for the purge valve.

Two tank sizes for varying conditions. Suunto computer is self explanatory I think.

I went with the quattro fins because I wasnt ready to gamble on the new split fins yet, and wanted a tried and true fin. The quattros are definately that. Same on the regulator. The Mares line of regulators is tried and tested, but affordable. Plan to upgrade later in my diving career.

experience?
One would suggest that you take as least as possible and only the important things. Why would you want to dive in tropical water with a full face mask, a dry suit and several steel tanks?
Enjoy the water, be as light as possible, you'll enjoy your dives a lot better. Too much gear is just a burden underwater which will only distract you and probably increase the chances of getting in trouble.
Just get yourself a simple wetsuit (perhaps a 3mm or a shorty), ANY regulator (even a Mares MR12, or R2, or Scubapro MK-II will do the job without any problems and are quite cheap), a simple and light BC (you don't need a technical wings 100LB lifter super XX turbo jet inflator with support for 5 ponies a double 18 liter tank with twin first Apex 2005 XL-GTI DX40000 first stages with syncronizing diaphragm and adjustable multi-level tri-mix computer to enjoy a calm tropical dive...)
About the mask: get a small volume mask that properly fits your face. There are so many brands and all of them are OK. Just get a good cheap one. Infra red masks with photon intensity enhancement sensors and optical water-distortion-correction-filters will cost you a fortune.
Fins? All of them will probably propel you forward. Quatruple-double blades with super flexible ankle support and double quick release buckles will only cost you a lots of $$ and will basicaly do the same thing. You can get a simple pair of Mares Plana Avanti or similar.

Perhaps the best is to go diving a little before spending thousands of dollars on equipment you wont need or will have to sell after dipping it in the water two or three times! I don't like people wasting fortunes in redundant gimmicks that are not needed underwater.

Enjoy diving!

Well, lol, I dont intend to take all of that on a warm water dive, nor do I really intend to get all of that, its more of a brainstorming session.

I intend to start off a little light in terms of gear, although the FFM does appeal a great deal to me. Yes, even for non contaminated warm water dives. I dont intend to be switching mix's in the middle, or doing deco dives, although a FFM would work for that, with a spare mask just in case.

Other than that, a few steel tanks and a pony, and possibly pick up a few more components along the way. I only intend to buy what I am going to use though, but I do want to get a nice setup that gives me options.

To me, its worth a little more (to still be maneuverable and light weight) but to get some gear thats a little nicer and a little more reliable than the base level gear.

Oceanic Apha 7 CDX and Alpha 7 Octo
Oceanic SPG, Depth Gauge and Compass.
Oceanic Ascent 3mm wetsuit
Scubapro 3mm boots
Scubapro Scotia 6.5mm semi dry suit, plus 5mm gloves, 6.5mm hood and 5mm semi dry boots
Oceanic Shadow Mask
Suunto Mosquito
Sea Quest Pro QD+
Mares Avanti Trei Fins

My diving is tropical plus UK coastal waters - hence the Scotia semi dry suit and accessories.

Back
Top Bottom