What is YOUR setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voy77. Bro, That is some overkill you got goin there. My rig is(keeping it to your present level of diving) night hawk ,MK25 D300. AIR2/109 when needed 7MM hyperstretch one piece suit 5MM hood/gloves (cold) 3 MM suit (warm, no hood or gloves) 6/3 MM hard boots or socks as needed, wrist comp. spg on a rope, mask, jets, snorkel,sometimes yes sometimes no. Backup air source? no, single 80 for rec.standard pistol grip light (when needed) smaller light on bc allways, wrist compass, sausage, small knife/EMT shears. Mostly it for rec. List grows and some gear changes on deep/ cave/wreck, but at 60' ???

x650/mk25 primary (BC inflator hose, wireless pressure gauge sending unit)
s600/mk25 pony (Brass SPG)
Uwatec Smart TEC (Very happy, very cool computer albeit a little over priced)
Mares Nemo backup/dive watch (Cool backup watch/computer. Mainly a toy in my case)
Zeagle LTD (Nice BC, but a little big for single tank, haven't started double tank yet)
Zeagle tool kit (Shears, knife) (Nice kit)
Scubapro Framless blk mask (great mask)
Wintech 3 window mask (backup, bulky as backup but ok mask, no problems.)
5/7mm Henderson hyper stretch (Nice suit, easy to get on good into the 50s for me)
3mm O'Neil (I really like this suit but for some reason it seems smaller then last year :wink:
2mm O'Neil shorty (When it is warm)
Mares Quattro fins (great fins, work just fine for me)
Al80, Al100, Al40 (looking into some PST steel tanks this summer if they decide to actually ship a few to the LDS :wink:
Cannon 400s w/ Cannon UW case (Fun camera, and case seems to work just fine. Took it down to 100' no problems. It is rated for 130')
SL6 light (cheap light that works well in murky lakes around TX)

Like all my equipment, but will continue to add as needed.

Whoa, another thread brought back from the dead (started 3 years ago)! Kinda funny, though; voy77 hasn't posted since 2002, but last visited the site last January. I wonder how many lurkers this board has anyway?

Tusa Visualator mask
Tusa Platina reg.
SM Octo
Genesis BC
Ocean comp., spg, and depth
SM 3mm wet suit (XL)

Aloha,
A new diver here. Quickly I changed my original plan to over time; learn more of the options, viewpoints and seek used gear - after using the training gear. After reviewing prior extreme professional and sport experiences in regard to how I function and what comfort level I seek, I purchased complete new gear. I’ve had excellent success with well cared for, high quality equipment. I knew I wanted to be as unaware (annoyed, distracted) of my gear as possible and for some reason I train myself to find things by location rather than sight.
I debated forth and back on each item weighing the info gained from research from divers, instructors, in literature and a lot from places such as this (thank you for existing ScubaBoard.) I do not think the gear I used in training was of poor or substandard quality, just not as high a level of user friendliness I appreciate. I felt I could spend a lot of time and money test diving and come to the same conclusion. I’d be moaning and lusting for something else and eventually spending a lot more in the long run. I’ll be primarily in open tropical water, a recreational rubbernecking sight seeker but my choices seem suitable for other – the exception being cold water. Primarily shore access but gee, the boat diving is nice too. Granted I’ve had limited experience with my choices but they all are excellent. I have no tanks yet, still thinking that over, probably go with used, biggest dilemma is size and material. As to color coordination (LOL) I lean to black (anyone out there with an avocado refrigerator) except for the fluorescent snorkel. I’ve purchased everything at local dive stores; 1- to support the resource I appreciate having close at hand. 2- So I had immediate support and established relationship. 3- I learned a lot about warranty issues online and how the manufactures back up their products. The way I look at this is; this is a serious thing. Just learning required me to place my life in the hands of someone else. The first step is just like choosing a doctor, do you want the cheapest or the best care and advice. I’m lucky, located with many excellent Diving resources at hand; it was possibly my most difficult choice, to determine where I would be most comfortable placing my trust.

I chose:
Atomic B2 1st and 2nd stage – to me this was an really big thing. I chose the brand repairman highly recommended as well as many professional divers for all around high quality application, low maintenance, longevity, and female pro for the exact model. Can go Nitrox, the cold water aspect was a consideration. I’ve appreciated the swivel more than I hoped and the dry mouth promised is true – certainly compared to the training gear - an entirely different experience. I wish I could have afforded the lighter weight titanium.

Atomic SS1 alternate. In extreme self-sufficient experience I learned the value of things having multiple uses, to me its simplification although I can understand the opposite view. Once with an octopus was enough, most annoying. Fewer things to find and use. I’m very comfortable giving up my 2nd stage. I figure for me to be able to help anyone else, I first need to be unstressed, back to #1 – everything center’s on air. This necklace thing for the alternate sounds like a make it do solution but I chose what I feel is an improvement.

OceanQuest Diva LX- all professional women divers I spoke with used and said they were happy. It is working well for me. I read vast differences of opinion on BC’s but having learned from pool dive 2 where the dumps and alternate were; I wonder at the groping others report. I suspect the arrangement is logical to me, where I thought they should be. I have had problems with uncontrolled ascent. I’m thinking the primary fault was trying to use weight I would achieve with experience (relaxation) rather than more than friends thought I should need. My LDS (Jack’s Diving Locker) open boat dive captain has been instrumental in resolving the issue. A better grasp of subtle buoyancy changes with new wetsuit & positive fins hasn’t hurt. I want a place for ‘stuff’ like cameras, slate, light and nothing dangling so I definitely wanted big pockets that I could open and close single handedly with my eyes shut. The thought of anything tugging at my throat (like a sternum strap did) was of concern and I’ve had compromised nerves in my shoulders (no fun to have dead hands) with packs and harnesses. I liked the fastex weight lock, those little handles looked too easy to snag on things and velcro strength erodes with time. Replacement is something I want to avoid with this application so I went for the additional expense of the Deluxe model hoping it will be better in the long run.

Oceanic Atom Computer – back to streamlined, 1 less hose to keep track of. Cost was a significant factor. I wanted the PC uploading (past experience with detailed logs). I’ve had need to deal with Oceanic with an extremely positive resolution and considerable live assistance with understanding concepts necessitated by my inexperience with the science. (I think PADI should consider dive computer a class.) I was worried about operation (gloves) and visibility (needing bifocals) but I’ve had no problems. I think it otta be telling me my psi at a glance but I’ve adapted to air time – again the advantage of learning vs relearning.

Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch 3ml. – LDS provided an excellent demonstration overcoming my trepidations re a full wetsuit – constriction (I had a significant hyper exertion event due to constriction) and flexibility. I really like the full protection since just the lava here is vicious and I want no blood trails marking my surge whumps. I already had a Deep See shorty that was wonderful snorkeling but I got cold diving. I can wear it under the super stretchy full suit.

Sherwood Magnum mask I’ve had for 5 years. I have a small head, chose with assistance (Big Island Divers have also been very patiently figuring out my needs).

Tusa Atima snorkel that is working out much better than the other equally expensive ones now in the loaner gear bag. I grew up on the water and not in it so being a new environment; I definitely want a functional snorkel. It rests un-noticeably and a whole lot more comfortable with out the tugging – maybe due to my tiny head. Really interesting reading about snorkels on ScubaBoard. If I look like a geek it’s probably because I am a geek. I guess I’m in the gear because I want to be having fun, if you don’t like what you see, stop looking.

ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins – another recent upgrade with significant improvement. Sought most power for least impact with a seriously ridden hard and put up wet for too many years knee. I want to be doing this for a long time. I thought they looked really big and cumbersome but the buckle clip thing is way mo betta for shore diving.

Deep See Aqua Purge 3/5 low bootie – I’m used to a little slip of a sock type bootie. I had to get new ones because the new fins hit me wrong. I see far more boot out there as a rule but I went with my gut. My wetsuit is plenty long (I’m 5’4”) so no problem with it being low. Really want a bootie here, I’m telling you this island is raw lava, but a primary feature was the reinforced toe - I have pointy elf great toes.

Overall I knew I was selecting heavier gear like the Diva BC with limitations on the amount of weight I should be dealing with. It was really hard to just say no to the much lighter titanium 1st stage. I also have little redundancy and it is something I’m giving a great deal of consideration. I expect I will make adjustments. So far all is good. Diving is better than I hoped for, I’m far more comfortable underwater than I ever imagined I’d be and the ocean is proving to be as enjoyable as the mountains were the first half of my life.

As for thoughts re your leanings, I’ll stick my geek neck out and share what I learned from my research and personal feelings.
I did not hear good things about Mares, not bad, but not great.
I prefer to keep same family components unless there is a strong reason to vary. They are designed to work together. Servicing can be problematic as one manufacturer will blame problems on the other and be unhelpful with problem solving and/or compatibility.
Look for recalled products; does someone seem to have more than others?

And, why I’m creating this, is that the why and where for is just the type of information I was looking for in choosing my gear. It is a new sport for me, I was naively surprised by the greatly varying recommendations and it took effort to figure out the questions to ask. Someone telling me ScubaPro is high quality was not all I needed. I needed to know how the opinion was derived, what was the environment. Were they old Navy SEALS, spear hunters, photographers, biologists? What was the reputation, personal experience, war stories, gut feeling and brand attachment? Who was giving me the opinion, what kind of diver were they, how conservative, adventurous, experienced, diverse? What was fun in diving for them? I looked at personal habits like how did they care for their equipment, what little comments did they make when not wearing the sales staff hat, what did they wish they had, want to get, planned to get.

And so, a long winded (a bit anal on the detail?lol) reply, but perhaps just what someone else was looking for if not you.
P.S. Anybody wanting give me feedback? My horizon can always use broadening.
Aloha,
redrover

I cannot resist asking, what is the green plastic measuring guage for?

I dive everyday in tropical 28-29 degree 80-84 water, so everything is simple and i refuse to wear booties....stinky!

Cressi Jacket BC, no idea which model, too lazy to go look
Cressi Full Foot Freediving Fins
Atomic B1Ti Reg and second stage
Scubapro Octo
A mask...with neoprene strap
a pressure gauge...
Scubapro 7mm S-Tek Steamer
Aladin Uwater wrist computer, the grey one...

The important stuff: Nikon D70 and Aquatica with Sea and Sea 120s
or Sony TRV950 with Gates

Ill be damned, never thought to look at how old it was. Wonder how he ever made out with that list of overkill??

Mike Veitch:
I dive everyday in tropical 28-29 degree 80-84 water, so everything is simple and i refuse to wear booties....stinky!

Cressi Jacket BC, no idea which model, too lazy to go look
Cressi Full Foot Freediving Fins
Atomic B1Ti Reg and second stage
Scubapro Octo
A mask...with neoprene strap
a pressure gauge...
Scubapro 7mm S-Tek Steamer
Aladin Uwater wrist computer, the grey one...

The important stuff: Nikon D70 and Aquatica with Sea and Sea 120s
or Sony TRV950 with Gates

Hafa Adai Mike!!
I might have to come visit you some time. My clinic is thinking about doing a dental mission trip out to Ulithi (sp?) Anyway!
I'm here in Guam and have to say the same. I'm a bathtub diver and most my gear is from the LDS!

Mares V1000 MRS BC
Mares V16 Proton Regs
Sherwood Wisdom Computer
Volo Fins
Kmart Mask/Snorkle....don't dog it :)
Underwater Kintetic Titanium Dive Knife
My Camera (See Below)

Bare Velocity 3/2 wetsuit
SeaQuest Diva QD BC
Genesis Atlas Regulator/Genesis Octo/Genesis 2-gauge console
Suunto Mosquito/Suunto PC Dive Manager interface
Force fins w/insteps
Dry snorkel
Scuba Max Tri-View mask
Pelican Nemo 4C dive light

Just got certified in February...acquiring gear as I go :)

Annie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom