What Keeps You Motivated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job on the workout gt! If I can make one small suggestion for what it's worth (ie disregard if it's not welcome :wink: ) there's no way most of us should be doing 5-6 sets of any weight training exercise. Do 2-3 sets max 8-10 reps. If you do more sets or reps than that, you're simply not using enough weight. I get great results w/ just 2 sets of 8 reps for most exercises, although I may do 4 different excercises for a given body part. More variety in your exercises will give you much better results than more repetition.

Sounds like your cardio kicks ***!

For what it's worth, my weight training is 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I do a seperate body part each day (chest, biceps/triceps, legs, shoulders, back) w/ ab work + 20 minutes cardio every day. If you just concentrate on one body part, you can absolutely crush those muscles in a short workout. Make sure you give your muscles adequate recovery time between workouts.

JCA, I usually do 2-3 exercises per bodypart, about 6-10 reps each. I was just trying to do 1 basic exercise per bodypart since it had been a couple of weeks since I worked out and I didn't want to do too much. I wanted to focus on cardio more than weights at this point. I don't have trouble gaining muscle but am having a lot of trouble with motivation and consistency at this point. I'm still having trouble in the evenings. If I workout, I usually do pretty well because I'm too dang tired to do anything else. But, with my wifes hand surgery I'm focused on stuff around the house and working out gets pushed to the side. Its more of a mental game for me right now and I'm losing. I can't blame it on anyone except myself but don't have the self control or motivation to change and thats whats getting the best of me. I really don't know what to do. I'm at the point that I'm so irritated I don't want to do anything at all except sit around and when I do that I tend to eat. Don't get me wrong. I'm not to the point of of doing anything irrational at all, I'm just disappointed, irritated but I have not lost hope and know that when I make up my mind to get fit it will be a pretty simple process. I know what it takes I just have to make the changes to get there. I never thought I would be to this point. It was so simple before I got a job and got married. I don't know whats next. I always start the week off fairly motivated with good intentions. My problem is maintaining throughout the week. I was thinking how I used to do it. I never sat down. On sundays I would go to Church, go shoot skeet, go back to church then go out after church. Or, on weekdays I would go to school, come home, go to work out, come home, shower, eat dinner and go to bed. I did realize that I'm not putting nearly as much into my workouts as I used to. That motivated me some in itself. I'm working out 3 days per week now and need to find other constructive activities to do for the rest of the week. The rest of my family is not fitness oriented at all. That makes it harder for me too. I still have to take the time and do my stuff or I won't be the best for them. Heck, I still don't have an answer but am open to anyone elses suggestions. I know there are many who have been where I am now. Let me know how you got motivated enough to get back on the right track. Thanks, Greg

Man, Greg, I know where you're coming from. I messed around w/ it for a couple years, starting and stopping, before I really got back on the bandwagon. I know a few things that helped me, but they were specific to my situation and may or may not have any relevence for you. For me, getting back in shape was more than just getting my gym schedule back. It involved some life-style change as well.

One thing that sapped my motivation was a low-grade depression that I've experienced much of my adult life. Nothing debilitating, but just enough to sap my motivation and hurt my self-esteem. Eventually I got treatement for that and it's made a world of difference. I don't regularly take any medication for it, but initially, just getting "out of the hole" made a huge difference and let me "get started".

Another motivation sapper for me was the time it takes to start seeing results. When I can actually see that I'm making progress, that's all it takes to get my back in the gym for the next workout, but it's hard getting to that point. Doing things to facilitate seeing progress are great motivators. It can be simply tracking your weight (although you can only use it as a baseline, because of the fat/muscle density thing). It can be actually charting your workouts, so you can see the progression of strength gains. It can be daily inspections of your physique in the mirror. Yes it sounds vain, but it makes a difference. Something I've done (an nobody laugh because it sounds extremely vain) was shave my chest. I naturally have a hairy chest and it makes it very difficult to see mucsle gains. Additionally it makes it easy to mislead yourself about your tummy fat 'cause just like it hides muscle definition, the body hair also hides those fat dimples. I'm not suggesting that you do this, but am suggesting that you do things that maximize your awareness of the progress you're making. Go buy yourself some clothes that show off your physique, Not in the "trying too hard" mode, but for example, one of those "clingy" t-shirts that show your chest and arms vs. the big baggy t-shirt we all wear when we're out of shape. Sounds vain, but it makes a difference. Hey I know it's not the most healthy thing so I wouldn't recommend it as a long-term practice, but when you start seeing some progress, go get a sun tan (assuming you're light-skinned) . Seriously. Even a nice physique looks a little sickly when your skin is some pastey yogurt color. Once again, progress is motivating, you just have to take steps to make sure you percieve your progress.

Something else, which I you alluded to in your post, is not working out so hard in the beginning that you injust yourself and have to stop before you even get started. Ease into your workout routine, but do plan on upping the intensity once you get going.

Initially I'd get really bored during the workouts and looked for excuses to stop. Something that really helped there was getting one of those tiny MP3 players. Now when I workout, I kinda lose track of time and "zone out" on whatever I'm listening to, rather than watching the clock. Another advantage of this, is that you tend to be less distracted by those folks that come to the gym to socialize. Not that I'm anti-social, but I don't have time to stand around at the gym and socialize for a couple hours. I go, work out extremely hard, then get back to the rest of my life. Also, it helps if you can go to the gym when it's less croweded. Every minute you have to stand around waiting for a machine or workout station, is another opportunity for that little slackard in all of us to tell you "you've done enough, we can just skip this last one and go home". You want to minimize the opportunities for excuses.

If it helps, keep a picture of a great set of abs on your fridge, so that when you go for that extra dessert, you look at that and have to make a value decision between "abs of steel" and that chocolate cake
03.gif

The whole thing is synergistic, once you start making progress, you start feeling better about yourself. Once you start feeling better about it, it's that much more motivation to keep it up and get better. I'm still fairly young (37) but I know that it really makes me feel great knowing that I'm in so much better shape than the vast majority of men my age. Not that I get satisfaction out of the failings of others, but when I'm at the beach w/o a shirt and look better than most of the 20 somethings out there, it really makes me feel good (and sexy) and makes me want to keep it up.

Also, remember, that your workout doesn't have to take 3 hours every time. You don't have to be a slave to the gym. I've got mine down to 30 minutes/5 days a week weight training, and 20 minutes cardio a day. That's less than an hour a day. I just make sure that my workouts are intense, so I don't have to spend a ton of time in the gym. Diet also plays a huge roll. You can gain plenty of strengh w/o a diet plan, but if you want that trim, lean look, you have to address your diet. As a side effect, a healthy diet also makes you feel better. A healty, trimming dies doesn't have to be an exercise in self-deprevation. Do some reading about various diets and nutrition.

I've been lucky in that my spouse is extremely fitness concious and keeps herself in tremendous shape. It really helps to have that support from your partner. Just an offhand comment about improvements you're making goes a long way. Also, it helps w/ your diet if your spouse isn't keeping bon-bons, etc. in the fridge. I'm definately not the most self-disciplined person and I love good food. If I kept it in the house, I'd be sorely tempted to eat it. Cooperation from your spouse is a big deal.

I know I've rambled a bit here, but the main theme is that for me at least, seeing results and motivation are synergistic. If I can percieve that I'm making progress it just makes me more motivated which means more progress, etc. The big hump is getting to the point that you actualy start to see progress, so anything that facilitates that is going to really help. The other idea is to try to setup your environment so as to minimze the opportunities for excuses. Most of us, myself included, don't have iron self-discipline, so anything you can do to remove excuses/tempations can only help.

Best of Luck,
JC

ps I hope I don't come off sounding like some sort of fitness fanatic or know-it-all. I'm not, just trying to help if I can.

Well, I had a good workout last night. About 30-45 minutes on chest and triceps then 12 on the stairmaster and 10 on the treadmill. I'm going to take one day at a time and make good decisions as I go. I get too caught up in what I need to do over the next month, 2 months etc. and lose sight of where I am now. My attitude is positive. I'm concentrating on activities/chores I can do at night instead of sitting around. My wife is still fairly debilitated (hand surgery) so there is plenty I can do. I'll keep you all posted here as to my progress. I may have to start doing some cardio in the mornings of the days I don't go to the gym to avoid being interupted/irritated by the kids, phone, wife etc. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Good, daily decisions will get me where I need to be. Thanks for the advice. I know how to get there I just need a little support and motivation along the way. Talk to you all soon. P.S.-I just finished eating 2 pieces wheat toast with jelly (no butter), a boiled egg and skim milk. I'm already planning on lunch. I'll let you know how I do. See y'all, Greg

Day 2 - Day 1 ended up pretty well. I went to the Dr's appt. with my wife, hit 1/2 bucket of golf balls, made dinner, cleaned up after dinner, cleaned bathrooms and folded laundry. I ate sensibly all day yesterday and ate a sensible bkft. this morning. I've got a golf lesson tonight then will go home and probably help clean up from dinner then finish putting away laundry. I, like JC, think I sort of went into a mini-depression and was letting it get the best of me. I thought back to the days when I was in great shape and realized that at that time I worked out intensely, made good decisions on a regular basis, kept busy pretty much all the time and was "strong" enough to keep on keeping on. I'm re-adopting that philosophy. There is plenty for me to do I just have to overcome the bad habits I have formed over the last few years. I'll continue to keep you all updated on my gradual progress. Hopefully my experiences/realizations can help someone else. Thanks JC for your input too. Greg

Health is the biggest thing that keeps me going. When I don't want to be motivated, I think back to all the aches, pains and problems that have disapeared. If I want to let myself slide, then I make myself agree that I am choosing those health problems to return. For workouts, I had to use a trainer for a while. It is expensive, but that is what kept me going. I wasn't going to cancel when I paid money I didn't have to waste. I do not use a trainer now because I now self motivate. If I start sliding, I sign up again. On diet, I believe only in a "cheat" diet. I allow myself one cheat item in a specific time frame. When I see a coke, I find I do not want it anymore. This is because I know think to myself, "I am not going to waste my cheat on coke! If it's my cheat day, then I am going to have something good!". I've also found ice cream tastes a hundred times better when you only have some once a month. I also can't consume a large portion without feeling sick to my stomach. Big change from a six pack of Dr Pepper at work, plus candy and evening snacks! I beleive that any diet without a cheat worked in will not last as a lifetime change. I don't do short term diets anymore. If I want short term results, I increase my physical activity.

The high from a long swim, fishing in rough water or strength training is motivation. It feels as good or better than 4 beers. But I also have a partially herniated disk which requires rigourous ab workouts to keep it in place.

hehe, I know what you mean about the cheat thing. I don't have a defined cheat schedule, but when I do have something really fattening, I find myself trying to calculate how many workouts it's gonna take to make up for it. This "usually" results in eating a much smaller portion or skipping it all together if it doesn't meet my "worth it" criteria :wink:

Back
Top Bottom