What kind of plant was this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It kind of looked like a pine tree in a way but it got my arm. Felt a very subtle rash/sting right after i bumped it with my forearm. Now the next day there are some small bumps and it's itchy.

Just kind of curious what it was. Trying to find a pic. Was maybe 6 inches tall but branched out a little

Edit - Searched through my older dive pics and found a bunch of it.
IMG_0051.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was it.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Without a photo, we won't be able to tell, but it was likely a hydroid which isn't a plant at all, but a colony of animals. There are lots of them near Palm Beach.

Sonic04GT:
Edit - Searched through my older dive pics and found a bunch of it.

Can you post the photo as an attached file instead of through photobucket? I can't see pictures from photobucket.

Sonic04GT:
it's a minor itch but is there anything to counter-act it?

Benedryl cream or gel.

Like Walter said, use Benedryl or any steroid cream (Hydrocortizone). If it gets worse your doctor can prescribe you a steroid cream that is slightly stronger than hydrocortizone called Fluticasone proprionate. Also try using a wet wash clothe with hot water, (just hot enough that it doesn't burn your skin) and lay it over the area, to keep from scratching it.

Yep, hydroids. They are similar to fire coral, irritating, but rarely a real problem.

Hydroid bad ... vinegar good.

Back
Top Bottom