What made you change to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first BC was a back inflation cressi. Very nice, awesome pockets and really nice lead system - but it was a tad too large for me and way too big to travel with.

So I went looking for something light I could use for travel. It was at the time the only travel BCs were insanely expensive and not that light. And I had started to be pretty specific (!) about what I wanted from my dive gear. After a lot of time spent looking at the market, I concluded that nothing was exactly what I was looking for and I started building my own BC.

I ended with an AL plate, a 'deluxe' harness, weight pockets, and a big utility pocket. Plastic cam buckles instead of steel for weight. It proved to be perfect for packing, and close to perfect for both warm and cold water diving.

Over the years, I ditched the deluxe harness for a HOG harness, got rid of the utility pocket (in favor of drysuit pockets), added a beaver tail mesh pocket, changed the integrated weight system (from DR to Halcyon), and changed the 1 inch crotch strap to a 2 inches one (wider butt D-ring more convenient to clip camera lens covers).

I also removed my right hip D-ring - originally for a DIR class, thinking I'd put it back after the class. It turned out I was perfectly happy without it :)

I bought a second wing when I started diving doubles, but that's about it. The only thing left on my 'BC improvement list' is a shorter single wing hose - which I'll probably fix next time I do inflator maintenance.

Better balance, better buoyancy, simple, adjustable, tuff, connects to your body for fine diving adjustments.

I think it's been said, but I'll add my voice - I have a transpac and love it.

My trim is better because of the way I can fix the thing to my body using the crotch strap; I can spin 360 vertically without it shifting on my torso. The complete modularity and configurability of the thing makes it exactly what I need it to be in any circumstance - from cold water dry suit diving to tropical. I can change the wing to accommodate twins, or even go side mount for that matter. There are an endless number of ways to hook new equipment to the thing. Also, it is logically built and simple to repair and maintain - I can take it apart myself without using any tools.

A major benefit of the transpac particularly is that is is very, very comfortable. I've had some major shore-walking to do - in Okinawa, there is a big staircase to get to one dive site; the transpac feels as comfortable as my backpacking backpack because of the lumbar pad.

It is not a rigid backplate - I guess I'd call it a soft backplate, so I still need to use weights.

The only "con" I can think of is that at the surface, the wing does not easily keep me upright. It is not a big deal, but makes long surface waits for boat pickup a little more tiresome. With a little practice I've learned to deal with this. I've dived in Cozumel, which is all drift diving and pickups, and it was fine.

Last edited:
I started diving with GUE minded people and they convinced me to try out a BP/W. I loved it. Like everyone has said, my trim was immediately better, I could control my buoyancy better, and it was just all around better dive. I was having more fun. After that, I purchased one and haven't looked back. One of the best thing I could buy.

I recommend it to everyone who comes into the shop and people seem to like it. (I've had many a happy customer.)

There's really only one reason that was a deciding factor for me to switch, in my limited dive experience. Fit.

Plain and simple, a harness is infinitely more comfortable for me than the 3 different jackets I had tried before that.

The second big factor was "freedom of movement" which means basically that I felt "confined" in a jacket significantly more than I did with a harness and backplate. The bulk of the jacket is more restrictive in the water and is harder to travel with than a plate and harness.

After that, the rest is completely unimportant, in my opinion. I don't really adhere to the "streamlined" hype, and pockets versus no pockets integrated weight or not are all possible on either type of BC. The buoyancy thing I find a little easier with a bp/w, but I suspect someone with the experience and desire to get their buoyancy down well will find either one completely acceptable for that.

I've only done 2 dives with a bp/w, though, and I am far more comfortable in it than I am in a jacket, especially for cold water diving.

Back
Top Bottom