What makes a DIR buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
I don't think the original poster actually has any intent to really learn this stuff.

I wouldn't be so quick to confuse not understanding something with not being interested.

In any case thanks for the example. And thanks to Jeff for the example about the communicatoin with the lights. This was the kind of thing I started out trying to flush out. As misguided and daft as it apparently came off....

Bob, your dancing comparison is well taken. UP, I don't konw what to say to you....

I'll see you guys in the end of December. It's time for a few weeks of lurking.

R..

Uncle Pug:
Wonderful.
Do you have a planned trip to the PNW?

Ok, one last post. I really have to get to Canada to see people. I'll probably be in Vancouver in the not too distant future.

I'm going to Egypt in December for 10 days or so but I'm taking some time off from Scubaboard before and after that. I've been taking up too much air-time and some of the threads I've been in lately have been pretty intense. I've got lots of food for thought for a while. Time to chew my cud.

R..

RTodd:
I don't think the original poster actually has any intent to really learn this stuff. But, in case there are some still trying to puzzle out what is being said, here is an example. Unlike technical dives, it is hard for me to come up with examples in an open water environment of teamwork that don't involve at least a hiccup. In reality, good teamwork in an open water dive is hard to really notice since that is the point. Teamwork is more critical and more obvious in more demanding dives but a lot of divers won't really grasp all the nuances of those types of dives.

About two months ago my wife and I were diving in the Caymans. There was a newer DIR-F guy diving on the boat who we invited to do a second dive with us. A second dive in the Caymans for us involves swimming out from the shallow moring ball to the wall, diving the wall, and then swimming the shallow reef on the way back. I was leading the dive with my wife in the third position. First team concept, weaker diver is in the middle to "protect" them. About 25 minutes into the dive, I led us up a channel in the reef so we could start working our way back in the shallows. It turns out it started pinching down. My wife got in touch contact with the newer diver and had him hold. I rushed ahead to see if we could get out. The minute she could see my light start coming back towards them without an okay signal, she turned around the other diver and we headed back out onto the wall. As we ascended on the wall, my wife, swam ahead of me on a diagonal straight to the boat. This was so she could take the lead navigating and I could get next to the newer dive who, due to us getting held up on the deep portion could potentially run low on air before we got back to the boat. Since I have the lowest gas consumption, it was best for me to deal with that. The dive finished without a hitch and all of this happened without a single piece of active communication between the experienced teammates (other than me catching crap for picking the wrong swimthrough).

Thank you for that description. I've been following the thread and, while nowhere near taking the Fundies class, am intersted in DIR. For now, just as an observer.

Bjorn

Uncle Pug:
Excellent. Let me know when and I'll try to make the drive up.
Hmmm ... and let me know if you need a dancing partner ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
Should be fun. Do you polka?
Of course not. I'm an old Deadhead ... I sway ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
Should be fun. Do you polka?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, I laughed outloud at the visual of you and Bob doing a polka together. I'm still laughing. That's too funny!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom