What qualifies as a primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 hours at 900 lumen on a single 26650 is beyond our current technology. Do not believe those claims. Let's give 26650's a bit of an improvement and say they are 6ah, which is well beyond what they are, but it makes for easier math. Cree XML's have a max efficiency of 170 lumen/watt, which they don't get, but it's a number. 3.7v*6ah=22wh for the battery. 4 hours assuming 100% efficiency and full use of the battery is 5.5w draw. 5.5 watts at 170 lumen=935. That is before any efficiency adjustment *at best 95%*, that is assuming a battery that has a much larger capacity than it really does *they are usually at 5200-5300mah, and assuming they are getting the best efficiency out of that emitter, which they aren't. This light is beyond both the LED technology and the battery technology we have today, don't buy into marketing claims.
Well email or call Thomas Tilly and ask him is all I can say. I'm not selling anything and have no commercial interest in this. I have both the older 1500 and 900 lights and they fall within the industry agree definition of burn time he claims. I therefore have no reason to disbelieve him. Kind of GM vs VW....

but if a light says it can put out 20k maybe it's actually putting out 10-15k and that's still a lot more than 500-1000.
If it's not a canister light and promises more time, then it's simply an empty promise. They're not relying on word of internet to sell, but on fraud and deception. I would stay away. Me? I have a 21W Light Monkey HID as my primary. I don't always use it as it is bright, and I do like LED video lights, but it always goes with me. Incredibly powerful, it punches through water amazingly well.

If it's not a canister light and promises more time, then it's simply an empty promise. They're not relying on word of internet to sell, but on fraud and deception. I would stay away. Me? I have a 21W Light Monkey HID as my primary. I don't always use it as it is bright, and I do like LED video lights, but it always goes with me. Incredibly powerful, it punches through water amazingly well.
You're lucky you are in a different jurisdiction so I suppose you can get away with saying that. Smells bad though.

You're lucky you are in a different jurisdiction so I suppose you can get away with saying that. Smells bad though.
This reply made no sense to me.

new range, not up on the website yet.

Let me take a different tack.

Tillytec on a 26650 LiCoMn with a 10 deg beam and I think either 5500 or 6000 K. Hope this helps.

LED 1500-30000 Lux- burn time around 4 hours
LED 1500-45000-Lux burn time around 2 hours
LED 1500-60000-Lux burn time around 1,5 hours

If it's the same number of lumens, the the only way it is more lux is if it's a tighter beam. Regardless, the lumens, not the lux, determines how much power it's consuming. So, it literally makes no sense that the same lumen rating would have different burn times - unless each of those is using different LED emitters of significantly different efficiency ratings. I.e. the light with 1500 lumens that is focusing the beam down so tight that it is 60000 lux is using an emitter setup that is less than half as efficient as the light that is putting out 1500 lumens with a beam focus that only results in 30000 lux (presumably, in the middle of its hot spot).

This reply made no sense to me.

He's saying you have basically accused TillyTec of fraud.

So, it literally makes no sense that the same lumen rating would have different burn times
I believe "LED 1500" is the product name and the lux ratings are for three different brightness settings. Tilly has a history of really confusing product names and descriptions... :)

He's saying you have basically accused TillyTec of fraud.
That wasn't my intent and the description between Lux and Lumens was great.

I've read so many claims about lights and have grown to take them all with a grain of sand.

I believe "LED 1500" is the product name and the lux ratings are for three different brightness settings. Tilly has a history of really confusing product names and descriptions... :)
1500 is the lumen rating. Lux is the lux rating. Is that tricky?

keep-calm-and-grab-popcorn-3.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom