what regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792:
MK17 is a diaphragm, environmentally sealed. G250 is no longer supported (I believe), though the G250HP is still around.
Not sure what you mean by supported, but G250 service kits shouldn't be too hard to get.

Just because its no longer around does not mean it is not supported. All ScubaPro regs are backwards compatible. ie if a regulator goes out of production the service kits for the regulator that takes its place will fit into the old one. Also you can often get the upgrades put into the older regulator which effectively upgrades your older model. A great reason to buy ScubaPro

Yes the g250 Is still around although it is now called the s650. The internals on the s650 is the same as the g250 with a diffrent outer shell. SP would not let a workhorse like the g250 go away. That reg is almost bullet proof.

I picked up the new 2006 Scubapro catalog last week and it shows the G250 MK25 as well as the new S555 MK25, but no s650? The G250 is in production for next year at least in the USA.

Right, I think Hallsdivepro probably meant the S600, which uses the same rebuild kit as the G250 (I think) but is not the same reg.

The G250 is no longer on the UK site, which I usually go to rather than the US site because the US site makes my browser crash.

titan lx is a good choice. I use one quite a bit & most of my friend own one. also it can take a beating & keep working.
Mel

North East Scuba Supply has a wocked packeage on. It is all diverite stuff. regs, octo, hose and gauge for 329.99. awesome regs!! check it out. just google north east scuba.

In my past experience it is just as important to pick a brand that has a rep in your area. The best regulator in the world is useless if their is not a honest dealer in your area to service it. Aqua-Lung, Oceanic, Sherwood all make good entry level equipment that use the same or similar rebuild kits for alot of their independant models. For a little more $ Scuba Pro is another good option and can be serviced if their is a dealer in your area. My 50 cents is to look at your local scuba shops for quality of service. This should help your in your choice of which brand to pick.

gfisher4792:
MK17 is a diaphragm, environmentally sealed. G250 is no longer supported (I believe), though the G250HP is still around.
The G250 is discontinued. It was "replaced" by the G250 HP, which is essentially a G250 with a plastic air barrel and a balance chamber and adjustment knob off the S600.

However, the G250 is still fully supported for both parts and service. Since it uses the same poppet assembly, dipahragm, etc as the G250HP, parts will be available for a long time. Scubapro has a tradition of making improvements in designs retrofittable in older models, which is the case with the new s-wing poppet which is used in all of SP's current balanced second stages except the X650 and can be retrofitted in to older G250's Balanced Adjustables and Adjustables. In the case of the Adjustable, it's a late 60's design, so even after 40 years, it can still be upgraded with the current poppet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom