What regulator to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormbringer:
James,

Scubapro makes the MK17 diaphram 1st stage...which is enviromentally sealed. Along with the S555 or G250 or even S600 you would have one of the best regulators around.

I agree, MK17/X650/S600/G250 would be my first choice if I was looking for a sealed 1st stage.

Iron William Flint

uglyredshoes:
Do you have a budget?

I must have missed your first and most important question. I would like to keep my budget around $300 which most of the better regs seem to be quite above that, but for between 200 and 300 which way should I go? Leisure Pro sells the Aqualung Titan for $189 while my lds is about $298 but I save on servicing if I go with them and, I also read that the manufactures warranties would be void if bought from some of the less expensive mail order houses. So parts would be extra on the annual.

I would even consider a reconditioned older model reg but how they compete with the latest models in ease of breathing is probably not as good I assume.

James

In that case, check out the Oceanic GT3. I just sold my Delta 3 Titanium in the classifieds for $300!

serrada:
Zeagle Envoy
Oceanic GT3
@
Scubatoys
$

I just picked up an Apeks from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Regulator...6QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and could not be happier. I also own the Zeagle ZX VI and love it.

You are the third person to say good things about the Zeagle VI and I maybe leaning in that direction even though that is a piston first I think I was wanting to try a diaphragm just for something different, but have little problems with the pistons I have owned except the Seac Sub but that was unbalanced.

Jscubadive:
You are the third person to say good things about the Zeagle VI and I maybe leaning in that direction even though that is a piston first I think I was wanting to try a diaphragm just for something different, but have little problems with the pistons I have owned except the Seac Sub but that was unbalanced.

The Zeagles are not pistons. If you have any questions at all, call Jim Fox at Zeagle. He's a great guy and will explain anything to you. He'll even explain why his regulators will stand up to any others at any price and why he is able to set the price point they have.

I've actually been using a piston Oceanic for years. My girlfriend just got certified in June and she didn't want to use a rental regulator in her mouth, so I decided to buy a new regulator. I got the Zeagle after talking to members on this board, Rodale's scuba mag and talking to Jim Fox. My girlfriend and I were fighting over who got to use the Zeagle so much I replaced the second stages of my Oceanic with Zeagle 2nds (keep in mind though that my Oceanics are the Omega and org. Delta from the 80's so I've love them for years). I got my Apek(s) bc I've wanted one for sometime b/c it's what some of the tech/DIR guys like to use. I'd need more time to honestly compare the Apeks and Zeagle on performance, but that's a whole other discussion. It breaths just as good as the Apeks and the second stage is lighter than the Apeks. For that reason my girlfriend wanted my Zeagle and I’ll be using the Apeks.

Good Luck

SpiderSense:
I hear good things about the Dive Rite RG2500, but it didnt do very well in the scubalabs review.
thoughts?

Rubbish.

And Im not just saying that because I own two. I could have bought what I wanted. These work fine. Next set will be Zeagles or Apeks DS4s.

PerroneFord:
Rubbish.

And Im not just saying that because I own two. I could have bought what I wanted. These work fine. Next set will be Zeagles or Apeks DS4s.

If my memory serves me correct, you were org. deciding between the DR and the Zeagle what made you go with the DR and now be thinking about the Zeagle again? Just curious.

Your memory is excellent. I chose the dive rite for simple reasons of cost and convenience. The shop I work at is a DR dealer and not a Zeagle dealer. I bought a second DR to have a matched set for my doubles.

I am looking at the Zeagles now because I no longer want a swivel first stage on my doubles, so the DR's will go to stage/deco bottle use. The DS4s are a consideration because they are simple, and inexpensive. Probably could just as easily use an Envoy, but I need the enviro seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom