What Thickness Wetsuit Do My Fellow Texans Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep/cold = 7 mil....Texas lakes = 5 mil...Hawaii = 3 mil.

Rubber suit thickness is usually just an optional consideration but..... if you always wear a hood + a pair of camoflage gloves and you can dive in just about anything.
:wink:

What CrazyDuck said.
CrazyDuck listed the reasons for why we select what we select. I am not sure I can improve upon his analysis.

Andrew, I didn't realize you were so particular / sensitive about your wet suit requirements; what with the socks and surf shirt and all. It's all good. For what it's worth, I have an odd shaped, big head. It's tough for me to find a full hood that fits me comfortably. I purchased the largest full size hood that BARE makes; and even then I don't zip it up on the back side. That's the best fit that I have been able to find.

Hi Frank!
Do you realize that Foo2 is using a quote from you as her tagline?

Woaw, thanks so much guys! I totally wasn't expecting such an awesome amount of responses. Double thanks to you, CrazyDuck, that was the best explanation I've read yet! I didn't know scuba socks even existed! I'll definitely be checking out scubatoys...

I think I'll go with a Mares 5mm for now, since I do tend to get cold easily, and can always wear a rash guard in the summer...must...not...go...bankrupt...

PS: okiejeff, I can confirm Hippy Hallow...LOL!!! :11:

I wear either my 3/2 or 7mm full for a local lake depending on depth of dive planned or time of year.

I wear my 2 Mil shorty for the Comal river.

I have heard that you don't have to wear anything if you are diving Hipppy Hollow at Lake Travis'. Can anyone confirm that? :wink:

You still have to strap on a tank and wear a mask and fins :D my personal mimimum there(many years back) was tank w/ backpack, reg, mask, booties, and fins. :wink:

Although if you want to talk about 'shrinkage' just hit that thermocline in that config :D

I think I'll go with a Mares 5mm for now, since I do tend to get cold easily, and can always wear a rash guard in the summer...must...not...go...bankrupt...

Welcome to the swamp! This is a wise choice, going with a 5mm for your first purchase. The places you will most likely dive that are nearby SA will be Lake Travis, the Comal and San Marcos Rivers and possibly Aquarena (in San Marcos) if you decide to go for the Scientific Diver course someday. The waters in the rivers and Aquarena will be 72 degrees year round, and I use at least a 5 to 7mm in them, because being cold is no fun. You can always let water in your suit to cool off, but it's hard to warm up if you're not wearing a thick enough wetsuit. You will also be able to dive Travis into the early fall/winter with your 5mm if you wear a hood also.

We're in NE Texas, and 3mm/with beanie is good in the summer in local lakes, provided you don't go too deep for too long. I usually dive at Clear Springs in Terrell, and generally hang close to the thermocline on most dives, so I am comfortable in a 3mm there, but prefer a heavier suit in the fall, and when 7mm is not enough anymore, around November, it's time to begin driving the 5-7 hours to your area for winter diving (still with 7mm.) I wear gloves on every dive- personal preference, as I don't like to touch yucky stuff... tropical gloves in summer, thicker gloves for fall and spring.

Tropical/blue water diving, I always wear at least a skin, (remember the yucky things?) and sometimes a 3mm on repetitive dives. Gloves when I can get away with it... I always wear a beanie to keep my hair out of the way, also. In the winter, I'll wear a hood with beanie over it to provide extra insulation. Good luck and hope to dive with you when you become certified!

Woaw, thanks so much guys! I totally wasn't expecting such an awesome amount of responses. Double thanks to you, CrazyDuck, that was the best explanation I've read yet! I didn't know scuba socks even existed! I'll definitely be checking out scubatoys...

PS: okiejeff, I can confirm Hippy Hallow...LOL!!! :11:

Scubaland in Austin sells off all their rental gear each year. My wife, bought a
Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm for $150 last year. Beats buying it new.

5mm is a good choice for a 1st suit. It's thick enough for below the thermo in most Texas lakes, but you won't sweat if you decide to stay shallow.

A couple of things to consider; get one with ankle zips - you'll be glad you did, especially with a 5mm or thicker suit - and make sure you can zip it up by yourself. Obviously you would never ever even consider doing a solo dive, but standing around in the Texas sun in a 5mm while you wait on your buddy (who may decide they're going to reconfigure everything at the last minute) to help zip you up isn't much fun.

Welcome to the swamp!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom