What to do about HORRIBLE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.) As I stated, I am not looking to bash him. I was only looking for advice on what can be done. Perhaps there is a central rating system just like there is for restaurants, college professors, etc. where I could rate him...
There is no such system here on SB or any forum I'm a member of. Someone mentioned Trip Advisor.

Some of your 'issues' are customer service related and while they may be an independant you could address those with the instructor directly or the facility he was teaching out of, if one was used. Most stores frown heavily being 'associated' with an instructor like you have.

The using OW divers as assitants and a claim of injuries are all serious viloations and need to be reported to the agency. IF the instructor reports the injury, you'll most likely be contacted by the agency anyway since instructors are supposed to provide details and witness contact information. If you report it and the instructor dosen't, well that wouldn't look good on his part.

2.) I never said I was looking for "sympathy"
Noted

3.) Is it really appropriate for me to name the instructor here on the forums??? Seriously? Now if I did that I would expect some of the responses I received. Not from asking general questions while trying to do my best to protect the identity of someone that may be a member here...

I don't fell you need to provide names or even the particular agency at this time as long as you're keeping it general. Details will always help us in determing a more appropriate course of action though.

I have taken a few courses thru Sdi and PADI. Several of my instructors are ex-military. Never heard any instructor yell as described above. Never heard any inappropriate swearing(that I can remember)..unless it was me. Making women feel uncomfortable. I have not experienced either.

Any of the above issues would be problematic for me. Your Instructor is independent..not a good way to obtain referrals for him.

If an Instructor behaved this way and was from the LDS I use, he would probably be terminated.

Look, you guys are either not reading, can't read or are being ridiculous.

I am presenting certain pieces of info because I am NOT trying to bash the instructor publicly and I am NOT asking you to put on your detective hats to solve some mystery. I am not asking you to determine if the instructor is fit to be an instructor, I simply asked to find out what type of recourse or options are available for reporting an instructor. END OF STORY.

I do not feel it is appropriate to name the person. I could do this, though that was not my intention. It was to find out what could be done.

As far as holes in the story or smoke and mirrors -- perhaps if I was bad mouthing a specific person I could understand the expectation for details and facts, though I never mentioned anyone by name!!!! There is no body that has to defend his reputation.

Please read before you make comments that don't make sense and if the fact that I am not naming this person and providing facts bothers you so much, don't read the thread!

The Scuba Industry is basically SELF POLICED so these type of things elicit these type of responses.

Wow. As a new diver and member here, I am a bit confused by the reactions I am getting...

1.) As I stated, I am not looking to bash him. I was only looking for advice on what can be done. Perhaps there is a central rating system just like there is for restaurants, college professors, etc. where I could rate him...

2.) I never said I was looking for "sympathy"

3.) Is it really appropriate for me to name the instructor here on the forums??? Seriously? Now if I did that I would expect some of the responses I received. Not from asking general questions while trying to do my best to protect the identity of someone that may be a member here...

Geez...

Don't let these people get you down. You really did get the advice you asked for; the rest just want you to name the instructor and see what happens.
Yes, you did say early on that you were not looking to bash anyone and only wrote details when you were invoked into it. If you don't feel comfortable reviewing your class here on SB you don't have to. The posters that are trying to get you to just want to read the repercussions that will follow.
And anyone who uses that word around women in a class is low rent in my book.

I simply asked to find out what type of recourse or options are available for reporting an instructor. END OF STORY.

What you do is you write to the certification agency with details of your situation including dates, times, happenings, names, etc. They will open an internal investigation and will work to get a resolution. The goal is two fold: 1. to get you happy and in a positive direction. 2. to remediate the instructor should it be necessary.

Here is the PADI flow chart as to how these things are handled:
http://www.padi.com/padi/common/pdfs/footer/00143_QASummary.pdf

•Email QA@padi.com to report a Quality Management issue (compliments or complaints).

Good luck

An ******* instructor is one thing. One who violates standards and has injuries take place on training dives is a risk that I would not want a loved one to take. So if he is that bad report him to the agency. When did this take place? You recently asked about taking a class with Sport Chalet. Would this be an advanced class or are you redoing OW because of this instructor? Making these kinds of accusations is heavy stuff. I can tell you if I had someone like that I would not hesitate to name him IF I HAD FACTS TO BACK IT UP!

To the OP, if you give out details that do not reveal the name you are still keeping to your original intention while giving us the ability to direct you in the proper place. If the specific safety violation would give away his identity then it would only help the people looking for an instructor steer clear if they so choose.

I guess what we are saying, without details on specific situations its you that end up looking more suspect than the instructor. Especially since we still don't even know why you were taking the OW class to begin with since you say you have experience.

He teaches independently, and I was not the only one who held this opinion of him. My entire class did.

Does any of the following sound appropriate for an Open Water class, or as to how anyone should be treated in general?

He yelled at students in the ocean as they were puking from sea sickness and left them there with their inexperienced dive buddy as he moved forward while calling them "pussy", he was sexist and made the females feel uncomfortable, he gave conflicting info regarding many important things, the students were afraid to ask questions because he yelled so often, he was very impatient and often got questions by students mixed up so he would yell at them when he completely was misunderstanding the question, everyone was intimidated by him and just wanted to finish the course, he did not pay attention at times during the dives and his assistants who only had their open water certifications had to take over and assist the students...

the list goes on....
Please, by all means, report this behavior. There is no need for this.

Look, you guys are either not reading, can't read or are being ridiculous.......Please read before you make comments that don't make sense and if the fact that I am not naming this person and providing facts bothers you so much, don't read the thread!

There's no need to be confrontational. :shakehead:

People ARE trying to help you here, whether you can see that or not.

Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom