What to do about HORRIBLE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. As a new diver and member here, I am a bit confused by the reactions I am getting...

1.) As I stated, I am not looking to bash him. I was only looking for advice on what can be done. Perhaps there is a central rating system just like there is for restaurants, college professors, etc. where I could rate him...

Right, and I'm sorry if you feel that we are not responding as you would have liked. But please try to see this from our point of view. This is a discussion forum. The very reason that it exists is not to serve as some sort of google for scuba information, but to provide an online community which allows for open discussion - hopefully so that we will learn from each other.

Clearly, if all you wanted to do was to report the guy, you could have just gone to the PADI or NAUI web sites and used that contact information. Maybe we erroneously took it upon ourselves to figure out exactly what was going on - something that you didn't want. But you can't really just expect that we are going to read your post and say "here, call this toll free number", and then forget about it, right?

2.) I never said I was looking for "sympathy"

Sorry, I just was guessing why someone might have posted such a serious accusation and then not provided much in the way of details.

3.) Is it really appropriate for me to name the instructor here on the forums??? Seriously? Now if I did that I would expect some of the responses I received. Not from asking general questions while trying to do my best to protect the identity of someone that may be a member here...

Geez...

In the meantime, is there a place to write a review/rate an instructor that other potential students can read? Similar to Yelp or any of the other other online services for reviewing restaurants, hotels, etc.?

So, to clarify, you seem to be upset that we are asking you to publicly identify and criticize the instructor on the Internet (as you are doing your best to protect his identity) when all you want from us is the name of a site where you can publicly identify and criticize the instructor on the Internet.

Or did I miss something?

Google does not hold all the answers...

As you said this is a "discussion forum," it is not a scuba instructor review site. I see a major difference between posting a review to a site designed for that purpose, that may have hundreds of reviews and letting people make up their minds, the same way they do with Yelp, or any other similar site. If my perception is skewed and inaccurate, it would be only one amongst all of the potentially great reviews this person might receive. However, posting a review here, when this place is not intended for reviews and the person is also a member, just seems like a bad idea, I do not find it appropriate and I'm guessing the board moderators would not appreciate that either.

Dr Wu, being a new diver, I am looking forward to your money buying me some gear!

Thanks to everyone who helped. Some of you seemed genuinely interested in helping, and I sincerely appreciate it, others, I am guessing you just like drama and conflict. I'm done here.

I do not feel it is appropriate to name the person. I could do this, though that was not my intention. It was to find out what could be done.

You are wise not to name the instructor and if giving away to precise details will reveal too much to your instructor who may be a member here then so be it. I can understand why many are giving you a hard time, there are many very experienced instructors responding to this thread and anyone who has been instructing long enough have had problem students who blame their shortcomings on their instructor. Not saying this is the case here, just trying to present a different perspective.
You NEED to send information to the agency. Although he teaches for 2 agencies only the one he was conducting the course under are really in any position to do anything about it. What agency was on the paperwork, waiver, liability release, medical statement you signed when you enrolled in the class. That is who you should send a detailed report to and let them decide what should be done. Getting other students in the course to do likewise will also help.

Not trying to get you to name names. Just asking for clarification on the situation, better trained/experienced people can help you understand your training and would love for nothing more than to help you get on a positive track with your diving.

This place DOES serve as a review site, however, though there may not be a specific heading that says "REVIEWS HERE." There is a whole section devoted to reviewing and learning from dive accidents and fatalities, for example. In fact, ScubaBoard is taken so seriously that they are the plaintiffs in a lawsuit because someone felt that a review on this site resulted in bad business for them, despite the possibility that this review may have been prompted by a diver's death, which could be bad business in itself.

One final thing. A review is especially good here because if this instructor *is* a member, they can give their side of the story. Unless it's really just a one-sided slam you're looking for and not wanting to risk having them finding out and sharing their side. I'm not insinuating you are doing this, but that's how it kind of comes across.

Ultimately, though.. happy diving, may you continue your education and not let this experience get in the way. :)

For the OP... if you want specific information, then give specific information. Your first post confused the matter because it went way beyond a simple request for advice.

If I wanted specific info on how to complain... I would have gone to the Scuba Agencies Q&A forum and posted:

I want to make a complaint about poor service/instruction/treatment/safety* on a recent course I took with PADI/SSI/BSAC/NAUI/GUE/IANTD*. Can someone please inform me of the correct procedure and contact details do best accomplish this? Thanks, that is all.
*delete as applicable

On the other hand, if I wished to cause a big drama, initiate a debate, get sympathy and otherwise cause lots of speculation, I would go to the Basic Scuba Discussion forum and post a long-winded, dramatic, unfounded and accusatory post like this:

I had a terrible course. The instructor was NASTY. He was EVIL. Everyone hated him and is terrified of him. Several students nearly DIED. At times, I was instructed by an OW diver. He beat me with a spikey stick. The instructor was incompetant. The instructor was a bully. I am now recieving treatment for PTSD....

Get the drift?

I'm going to see if I can get a couple of prescription masks from the dude
in the really informative link doctormike put up until I find the unicorn.

So you know,

a number of those who responded, including myself, are Scuba Instructors. To say that we take this kind of incident seriously is to put it lightly. However, there are just as many people who have seen forums used to needlessly bash agencies, shops and instructors. You are being presented with both sides in this thread and that can be confusing. Don't despair, most here are really on your side.

I will wager you 10x what you paid for the course you are lying about that little detail.

You dont think that happens? I have personally seen this happen, I spoke to the OW diver acting as Dive Master who was a fairly new diver himself. less than 30 dives. I never saw them come back to this particular site but there are many around. If I knew the Instructors name I would have pushed to get him kicked out of his organization.

I often use AOW students as helpers in my class. They never get put in charge of any other student, and they are never used to adjust ratios. However, they get to repeat the exercises they already have learned as well as get more time in the water with me. I usually do a private lesson with them in the pool covering a variety of issues AFTER the OW students have left. They sign the same waivers and I think it does them good.

Like Kevin, I have seen instructors break standards and use their old students AS dive masters. I have also seen them leave an entire class in the water in order to go to the restroom. If I didn't have a class in that spring myself, I would have offered in to help.

Back
Top Bottom