What to do when your dive boat sinks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know im late to the party but heres my two cents.. The captain should be radioing a mayday call and you should be grabbing a life jacket. Yes i said life jacket not bcd, because a pfd rated for offshore use (lifejacket) is usually a bright color for rescuers to see from a distance and designed to keep your face out of the water even if you go unresponsive.
Good point. I wonder how many divers on a charter actually pay attention to where the life jackets/pfds are stored? Admit I never have. Can't even remember it being mentioned during a briefing, though it probably was.

Good point. I wonder how many divers on a charter actually pay attention to where the life jackets/pfds are stored? Admit I never have. Can't even remember it being mentioned during a briefing, though it probably was.

On every boat I've been on the location of all safety equipment is given in a briefing before the boat leaves the dock. If you listen you should know where the life jackets are, where the life raft is, if the EPIRB automatically deploys, and the location for the first aid kit and oxygen.

This breifing is so identical I expect it is a Coast Guard requirement.

This breifing is so identical I expect it is a Coast Guard requirement.
For those locales which are regulated by the USCG it is pretty identical. Then there is the rest of the world.

Cheers -

face up or face down?

ITYM "belly up or face down?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom