What to tell the spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to bring this to closure. I packed my regulator in it's bag this morning and took it with me as I was leaving for work. My wife asked my why I had my regulator. I said that I was going to get it checked before our up coming family vacation which will include lots of diving. I then let it slip that I was also interested in purchasing a new dive computer.

Her: "Really, what's wrong with the one you have?"

Me: "It's not air integrated. I want to be able to see my PSI on the same display on the computer."

Her: "What about the old one?"

Me: "[daughter] will be able to use that one on vacation. It will be better for her too with multiple dives to monitor her nitrogen loading."

Her: "You said that you wouldn't need to buy another computer when you bought the other one."

Me: "No, I said that about the regulator. Not the computer."

Her: "Okay."

So all is good. I even told her the price. I thought she'd flinch but didn't. Apparently was not near as bad as I had imagined. I guess sometimes the dragons in our own minds are scarier than in real life. And now I feel so much better that I told her about the computer. All's well that ends well, although I know I should have discussed earlier and avoided all this nonsense.

Thanks all to took the time for constructive suggestions.

Bx1NE_gCIAAqOJ3.jpg

No problem here. Wife bought a $7000 Bernina sewing machine. I have a lot of catching up. [emoji41]

My situation is similar. My wife wanted and got an $8000 Brother embroidery machine. She promised never to question my scuba purchases, as long as I felt we could afford it. She didn't mind when I got my camera, housing, and strobes. Sweet!

reo

Ha Ha.

I've been married 19 years. Happily too. I'm smart enough to have learned happy wife, happy life. Because if Mom is not happy, nobody is happy.

Besides, we guys have learned that we just need to suck it up and deal with life. My son started whining once, and his big sister started in "no whining. Daddy says suck it up so just suck it up Dude!"

Her: "Okay."

So all is good. I even told her the price. I thought she'd flinch but didn't.

Yeah.....you're a dead man :D

Sounds like you have not been married very long. A bit of advice for you--don't hide stuff. Sooner or later you are going to have to disclose what you have been hiding, and when you do, you will erode the trust your wife has in you, and that is hard to recover. Think of it from her perspective, and don't put her in a position where she is going to wonder what else you are hiding. Just my opinion after being married for 47 years.

I agree!! I've been married for 25 years and find the best is to be truthful and open about everything. It goes a long way! As long as it doesn't kill your finances or cause financial stress to the family's needs your wife should be supportive of your passion.

Back
Top Bottom