what was the first dive gear you purchased?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fins I bought are open heel, so I needed neoprene boots. As I have a Jetski, I had already boots, so boots were my first piece of gear. After all these things, I bought gloves and a knife as I was preparing for my first night dive also during the check-out dives.

Wasn't much equipment to buy back in the 60s... no BCDs, SPGs, octos, etc. All I bought was my 7mm wetsuit, weight belt and (of course) the "Jim Bowie" dive knife to tackle those great whites out here when I encountered them (the only one that ever swam within reach did so behind my back so I didn't see it... and all I carry now is a tiny BCD knife anyway).

When I learned to dive you had to be 15 years old to start.

By the time I turned 16, my dad gave me my Scubapro Mk5 / Adjustable regulator as a graduation gift.

I felt that I had earned it after the months of training at the YMCA. ( back then you did three weeks of freediving before SCUBA )

It was a right of passage. I learned to care for that regulator as if my life depended on it!

Next, I remember getting the first black Scubapro Stabilizing Jacket. Which I later got married in U/W in a high mountain lake.

I have not gone back and re-read the posts, but something came to mind I forgot to add.....

One of the most important pieces of equipment purchased early on: DAN coverge........

Besides the obvious mask, snorkel, fins...

1) Dive computer
2) Wetsuit
3) BC
4) Reg set

edit: I absolutely *WILL* get DAN insurance this Spring/Summer. :thumb: (thanks for the reminder, rhwestfall)

Before the first class, mask with corrective lenses.

Next purchase was laser surgery :)

Then (bcd / regs), followed by (computer), (lights / knife/ wetsuit), (tanks).

Fins, mask, snorkel and weight belt. Forty years ago these were commonly required purchases for anyone who wanted to learn how to dive. For my openwater checkout (you couldn't rent a suit) I purchased a full custom made 1/4" Wet Suit by mail-order from Lorraine Suits for $60 in 1965. Next was a tank (with a 'J-valve') and a double hose single stage regulator from Healthways. We didn't use a vest, although I later purchased a surface flotation device with a 16 gram cartridge. I later moved-up to a Nimrod which had a small compressed-air bottle which could provide buoyancy at depth; really cutting edge stuff at the time. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom