what was the first dive gear you purchased?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I bought all my personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, booties, gloves) before my OW class, because we had to.

My next purchase was a wetsuit, because I got kicked out of the pool halfway through the first pool session for shivering.

I THINK my next purchase was my dry suit, which I bought right at the end of my open water class, but right about the same time, we bought a whole gear package (BC, regulator, computer) from the dive shop. There was a REASON the dive shop owner used to greet me with a great, big smile . . .

On the day of going to the local shop to set up my private scuba class, having been given it as a gift from my wife, I purchased the following: bcd, reg, computer, compass, octo, mask, snorkel, fins, boots, knife, light, 3 mil wetsuit, mesh bag, and travel bag. That was 1997. Things were cheaper then.
DivemasterDennis

Diving in CT I needed a wetsuit (farmer John and jaket). Then I bought a knife, a mold to cast my own weights, The next big purchase was a regulator Sherwood Magnum (use it to this day 30 years later). Dive gear get real personal. Things that need to fit well or be adjusted for the specific diver were the things I focused on first. Suit and weight belt first. It was during the switch over from horse collar BCD to Jacket styles, so I waited to let them improve before I bought, got a chance to try out a few diffferent styles. Today I would put a dive computer high on the list because it is such a central piece of safety/gear. I would be nervous having a computer I didn't know tracking my Bottomtime and depth. Hard to guess how much it might have been abused by someone who rented it before me or if it has been properly rinsed and maintianed and how old the battery is etc...

first post OW purchase was a BC, and 6 months later I traded it for a printer and bought a BP/W.

This is also why will always recommend that someone at least try a BP/W before dismissing it as an option.

The first gear that I (we) purchased was the wrong gear. It took me a few years to correct that. I am not sure there is a good way to avoid those bad initial purchass as few newly certified divers really know where they are going to go with scuba. Had we just focued in on an annual 1-week dive trip, I'm sure the Scubapro Mk2/R190, Seaquest jacket style BCD with Air2, and two piece 3mm FJ would have sufficed. But that gear was just not the long term solution to doing a fair amount of diving.

My recommendation is hold off as long as you can while you try different options. If unsure, look for good buys in used gear that will get you in the water for more experience while you figure out what you really need. Good Luck

DSS backplate/wing and an Aqua Lung Legend regulator. Luckily I'd researched well (thanks to Scubaboard!!), because over 6 years later, I'm still using both!

being I was 15 when I first got certified, my first purchase was my dive light. I got it right before my open water checkout dives.
The next item was an entry level Sherwood regulator with a Tekna console and gauges. I remember getting the Tekna console because it had a space for a digital bottom timer that I was saving up to get. LOL, BTW, digital bottom timers back then were the equivalent of dive computers today, super cool right?
Then I saved my money all summer to buy an Orca Dive Computer (WOW)

After mask, fins and snorkel, a wetsuit, then shortly after a Mares MR12 Mk III reg, that lasted for over 20 yrs, a hard plastic back pack, weight belt with weights and AL80 tank.

Eventually bought a BC about 5 years after starting to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom