Whats going on at Rebreatherworld.com right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My login still works.

ScubaBoard has and always will be here for you. we've stood the test of time and haven't closed down except for maintenance. If you post it here, we'll start to have all the info you desire... and we do already have a lot.

Yes Scubaboard has always been and still is a very valuable resource. I would say this has become the go to place for rebreather info as well. Rebreatherworld has been catering to what used to be a very niche market. I was a rather early member after meeting Stuart Ford while doing his MOD 1 in Canada. He had bragged that we could have 1000 members by Christmas 2003. There used to be some very heady discussion, many carrying over from the old nwdesign mailing list about deco strategies and homebuild rebreathers designs and access to parts. Those days are behind us as rebreather technology and training standards have matured. Much of what you see now are items for sale and as Chett mentioned, spam. Those of us moderating RBW have spent a good deal of time dealing with spambots, but nonetheless RBW is a goldmine of early knowledge and discovery.
The old nwdesigns posts have been painstakingly archived and remain available for those who want to see what the state of art was in the time between 1997 -2003. So just as rebreathers have slowly become mainstream, the focal point of discussion has migrated to a mainstream scuba forum.
So thanks Pete and staff for all your hard work but lets remember RBW contains a wealth of knowledge from the worlds leading experts on matters relating to rebreathers and it is important to keep the legacy alive.

@wedivebc what would be nice is if you can get them to agree to releasing the archive and see if @The Chairman can get it uploaded here so it's searchable...
Unfortunately the one person with the skills to do such a thing is no longer with RBW and I am not sure who is actually steering the ship right now. I also doubt the current owner is going to 'give' that stuff away. But that is an interesting idea.

Unfortunately the one person with the skills to do such a thing is no longer with RBW and I am not sure who is actually steering the ship right now. I also doubt the current owner is going to 'give' that stuff away. But that is an interesting idea.

If you got REAL creative. You could likely get the whole thing ported over as a subforum group on here. so rebreatherworld.com would point to say here
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/rebreather-world/
where the existing subforums exist or whatever works for importing. That subforum could be treated somewhat similar to the manufacturers subforums and in exchange for that history, maybe @The Chairman would let the current owner get free advertising for a year or two. These things cost money to maintain, so it would benefit the entire dive community, but also save whoever it is the money of maintaining the subforum. They could retain ownership of the domain name and whatever trademarks are associated with it, but wouldn't have to do forum maintenance. If they also still own The Deco Stop, it would be awesome to look at merging both of those into Scubaboard...

Don't forget "The Deco Stop". As far as I remember the same person owns both sites.
What about backing up the cavers list and the tech diver list too?
I haven't heard the term "Star Wars Bar Scene" for almost 20 years and as long as I'm not watching FOX news kind of miss it.

Michael

There is a lot of knowlege and history on both TDS & RBW. Wish we had access to the Dive Matrix too.

I am humored that this entire thread has more post about how great RBW is (or was) compared to the total number of new post that have shown up on RBW since it came back from the dead. :)

Back
Top Bottom