What's in a name???

Renaming the Sea Hunt Era forum - what would you like? Multiple choices possible.

• Vintage and Classic SCUBA Diving

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Vintage and Classic Skin and SCUBA Diving

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Skin Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vintage Equipment Diving Community

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No change

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was reading a thread back here, and saw that a few of you don't seem to like the name of this forum. The more I thought about it, the more it appears as if our "cutesy name" doesn't really tell the story.

So IF we were to change the name what would you like it to be? "Vintage and Double Hose Diving" or do you have a better idea. Given how our SEO works, this kind of change would drive more traffic to your little neck of the woods.

Double Hose Regulator Era Diving Equipment & Techniques.

Also would like to see it as a stand alone forum rather than a sub forum.

I agree that a name change could be a very good thing.

Vintage equipment diving includes more that just the Sea Hunt era, most of us define it as equipment use from the start of the sport up to around the mid 70’s (or equipment that hold that same spirit).

Also, although not vintage it seems that it should also include “minimalist divers” since that style of diving holds a very similar philosophy.

I do like the name “Vintage and Double Hose Diving”.

It may be good if under the name it had a description (like other sections) that explains what this section is about. For example: “This section is about the equipment and techniques of the early days of diving (also referred to as the vintage era of diving), it includes the double hose regulator era (the Sea Hunt period being part of it), but also all related techniques (such as minimalist diving) and all related equipment (such as tanks, harnesses, back packs, vintage single hose regulators, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I also like Captain's suggestion of the stand alone forum.

What would help is promoting the "Sea Hunt Era" sub-forum to a forum within the "Equipment of Scuba Diving". If "Boating equipment" deserves its own forum, so does "Sea Hunt".

As for a possible change of name, what about "Historical and retro diving equipment" if the plan is to keep the forum within "Equipment of Scuba Diving", or "Diving with vintage and retro equipment" if the forum is moved to, say, "Scuba Diving Central"?

The forum would celebrate not only the pioneers and early manufacturers operating within the sport in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, but also give a voice to the diving historians, the companies still making classic gear from that era and the scuba and snorkel divers who choose to swim with it.

On a personal note, I'd like to see a sub-forum within "Snorkeling/Freediving" on the history of breath-hold diving and the use of vintage and retro gear within that activity. Vintage diving discussions tend to focus on regulators, while I, as a snorkeller, would rather discuss fins, masks, snorkels and suits. I accept I may be in a minority of one here, though!

Double Hose Regulator Era Diving Equipment & Techniques.

Also would like to see it as a stand alone forum rather than a sub forum.
Do you mean apart from ScubaBoard? Maybe I am missing your intent here.

Do you mean apart from ScubaBoard? Maybe I am missing your intent here.

I am fairly sure that what he means is definitely not outside of ScubaBoard, but at the same level as “General Scuba Equipment Discussion”, not under it.

It doesn't seem to fit under the category it is now...it is a subject on itself.

Added;
I think David Wilson has also very good ideas…similar ideas of where this section belongs.

I agree that a name change could be a very good thing.

Vintage equipment diving includes more that just the Sea Hunt era, most of us define it as equipment use from the start of the sport up to around the mid 70’s (or equipment that hold that same spirit).

Also, although not vintage it seems that it should also include “minimalist divers” since that style of diving holds a very similar philosophy.

I do like the name “Vintage and Double Hose Diving”.

It may be good if under the name it had a description (like other sections) that explains what this section is about. For example: “This section is about the equipment and techniques of the early days of diving (also referred to as the vintage era of diving), it includes the double hose regulator era (the Sea Hunt period being part of it), but also all related techniques (such as minimalist diving) and all related equipment (such as tanks, harnesses, back packs, vintage single hose regulators, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I also like Captain's suggestion of the stand alone forum.

I agree a name change would be nice and I like Luis's suggestion above.
Thanks Pete

I feel it should be in the "Scuba Diving Central" section just as tech, photography, solo, spearfishing, etc, is rather than the equipment section. Equipment discussions are part of it but so are discussions on techniques, history, etc, just as in tech, photography, solo, spearfishing, etc.

So, you see this as more of a technique oriented forum rather than an equipment intensive one? How many would agree with that?

I would also say that it is about a style of diving, of which the equipment is very integral part of, but it is also not any different than technical diving or spear fishing (just like Captain said).

IMO, the double hose regulator should be part of the name because it is probably the most important piece of equipment of the era…and of the start of sport scuba diving.
But all the emphasis should not be exclusively on the regulator, therefore words as vintage and historical equipment should be part of the name.

Maybe something like:
“Historical and vintage equipment diving…the double hose era.”

On the other hand, the historical makes it sound a bit ancient…just thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom