What's in a name???

Renaming the Sea Hunt Era forum - what would you like? Multiple choices possible.

• Vintage and Classic SCUBA Diving

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Vintage and Classic Skin and SCUBA Diving

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Skin Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vintage Equipment Diving Community

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No change

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you see this as more of a technique oriented forum rather than an equipment intensive one? How many would agree with that?

I don't feel it is more of either but it is not just equipment. Both equipment and techniques are discussed in the DIR, solo, wreck, spearfishing, etc. Clearing and purging a double hose reg and buoyancy control without a BC are technique. How a double hose works or breathes is equipment.

FWIW,

My questions are meant to pull information out and not to needlessly question you. If we DO make a change, we want to do it once and to get it right for most involved. If you don't feel comfortable about posting your thoughts here in public, PM me or E-Mail me at NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com.

I know I speak for the Advisors and staff when I say that we are here for YOU. This is your community and we want you to feel at home, and yet we also have thousands of others to consider as well. Most of the traffic in this forum is not by those who post, but by 10-20 times that of people who come to just read. That being said, the chances are the things that make you happy will make them happy as well. :D

I agree with Captain and Luis - this should be a Forum under Scuba Diving Central - where both equipment and techniques can be discussed.

I like Luis' name for the section.

This really is an area that attracts lots of attention - and interest seems to be growing (witness the increasing prices for gear on eBay and growth of Vintage Double Hose and the supply of reproduction parts).

We are also lucky to have people like Luis, Captain, Nemrod and others - who can answer lots of these questions.

I am not sure how much attention this area of the sport attracts, but IMHO it should attract even more.

We are talking about the roots of our sport. Many of the subjects discussed in this area have been of interest to many, such as: diving with no BC, diving with a reserve valve instead of a SPG, the dive training in the past, etc.

To better understand the present status of the techniques and equipment it is always good to explore the history.

Part of our interest is the preservation and enjoyment of the equipment and techniques used in the past. Most of us also enjoy sharing with others the vintage equipment and whatever knowledge we have obtained. Therefore, IMO, it seems that this area should be in a spot with more exposure, I think it can contain many subjects of general interest.

If the traffic in the area merits it, it could even have some sub-sections such as.
• Vintage Snorkeling/Freediving (as David Wilson suggested)
• Sea Hunt
• Cousteau

IMO, many discussions related to the history of diving should be of interest to many.

Again, thanks for opening up this subject. I think this can be a great change.

Perhaps naming the forum "Early Sport Diving" or something like this...which is basicly what all this is about....and then listing the various areas: ie: equipment, techniques, etc..........just a thought............

Oldmossback

I'll put in my vote for renaming it and moving to a different spot. Vintage Doublehose Diving says it all. I would agree that it should be in the Scuba Central section.

If the change in venue discussion results from my complaint that the concurrent thread (going retro) was booted from the general forum to the Sea Hunt forum, the point of my complaint was that neither the OP or I or many of us who dive double hose regulators exclusively use them in a vintage setting. Several of us, including me, Luis, Captain and others do in fact dive fully modern rigs, even Hog rigs, except we use a double hose regulator in those configurations. The OP in that thread if I understood correctly was requesting info on double hose regulators but intended to dive them with a modern BC etc. Therefore my response on wings and back plates and my opinion that the thread should not have been moved. Just because the thread involves a double hose regulator it does not need to be spirited away into the back closet the current Sea Hunt sub forum is.

Regardless of what new forum is designed, a discussion that involves modified double hose regulators combined with a Hog rig and Oxy Cheq wing and modern plates can stand on it's own merit in Basic, Advanced, Solo, General, and possibly even the Hogarthian forums and does not need to be moved to a double hose only forum.

Replacing the Sea Hunt sub forum with a forum titled "Vintage Diving Equipment and Methods (techniques or similar word)--the double hose era" is fine and a good idea, it probably belongs as a sub forum in the same forum heading as Solo, Hog, DIR and all of that.

Why is the Boating forum a boating equipment forum, many of the threads there historically have involved both equipment and methods as well as such things as which boat and a few times even where to boat and even kayaks?

Still, back on subject, the major discussions have always ocurred on vss and vdh and I suspect those frums will still remain the major focus of the increasingly large vintage equipment divers community. The reason NAVED does not have a stand alone discussion forum was to avoid stepping on existing forums and diluting their content.

N

Regardless of what new forum is designed, a discussion that involves modified double hose regulators combined with a Hog rig and Oxy Cheq wing and modern plates can stand on it's own merit in Basic, Advanced, Solo, General, and possibly even the Hogarthian forums and does not need to be moved to a double hose only forum.

Replacing the Sea Hunt sub forum with a forum titled "Vintage Diving Equipment and Methods (techniques or similar word)--the double hose era" is fine and a good idea, it probably belongs as a sub forum in the same forum heading as Solo, Hog, DIR and all of that.

Why is the Boating forum a boating equipment forum, many of the threads there historically have involved both equipment and methods as well as such things as which boat and a few times even where to boat and even kayaks?

Still, back on subject, the major discussions have always ocurred on vss and vdh and I suspect those frums will still remain the major focus of the increasingly large vintage equipment divers community. The reason NAVED does not have a stand alone discussion forum was to avoid stepping on existing forums and diluting their content.

N

I agree that many of the threads talking about double hose regulators (and other specific equipment subject) do belong in the regulator area or other similar area depending on the actual subject.

But I also think that a specific area for all subjects specifically related to vintage equipment diving and historical aspects of diving is also very beneficial to everyone. I think it should be in the “Scuba Diving Central” side by side with “Basic Scuba Discussion”, Advanced Scuba Discussion”, “Technical Diving Specialties”, etc.

It would be a place to discuss how diving started and used to be, as well as how we are keeping does techniques and equipment alive today.

A new diver is not going to go to VDH or VSS to ask about how was it like diving without BC or many of the other types of discussions we have here.

A number of the members at VDH and VSS are also members here, but this is place where the much larger diving community visits.

Vintage diving isn't just about double hose regulators, so I'm not sure if "double hose" should be in a new name.
Maybe something like "Early diving- history, gear and techniques"
or, "Retro diving"

I agree. Vintage diving isn't just about double hose regulators, although I accept they may be a fitting icon to encapsulate the era. It's so much broader than that, covering the whole range of pre-1975 diving and snorkelling gear as well as the techniques of using it, the pioneers and general history of early "skin diving" as it evolved and separated from the "hard-hat" variety of diving, eventually eclipsing the latter.

I applaud Luis for his attempts to keep the issue an inclusive one, covering breathhold as well as scuba diving. I'm pleased Duckbill too has taken up my point about "retro" diving. I also want to encourage existing diving equipment companies to continue manufacturing their remaining lines in classic gear, e.g full-foot all-rubber fins, oval masks, vintage-style wetsuits and drysuits. I wonder whether the term "classic" might figure somewhere in the new forum name, encompassing as it does the past and continuity into the present?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom