What's in a name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albion once bubbled...

I stumbled upon this thread a bit by accident and know there is a lot of heat over the meaning of this certian flag. Isnt it a bit like me suggesting you should use a british union jack as that at one time was the flag of your land

Sorta.

We derived the U.S. flag from the British Union Jack. Notice the same colors and all, with similar thought processes behind the symbolism.

...So you're right. And no, I don't see a problem with it. It's our heritage, like it or not.

New2ScubaSC once bubbled...
well every time i tried to look at the your posted flag type ideas, i kept getting a proxy error but the first picture that comes to me as a southern pride dive flag would be the standard dive flag with 13 stars in it with maybe a blue borber along the diaginal stripe, that would be kinda nice wish i was able to see your, ill try back later it may just be my computer acting up

chat later:)

erik

Yep, my upline provider was down a good portion of the day. Seems that someone with a backhoe cut one of their main lines today. Not good.

Anyway, it should be back up and running now. :)

Scottish, you didn't fire a debate... That was just me spouting off, and yes, you do have a very valid point. That's why I'm so fired up about it. :)

I'll shut my hole now. :D

You haven't seen fired up until you get me talking politics. :D :upset:

For the record, I like the second flag you posted seajay. Like you said it's far enough away from the old flag to not immediately be associated to it but still maintaining some of it's southern heritage.

Just to touch on the issue of the flag itself one more time. Those of us that are white, southern and proud who respect our history find it difficult to associate to how a black person may or may not fell about the flag.

Yes the flag has historical significance, yes blacks were sold into slavery by other blacks but it does a serious disservice to those whom are descendants of slaves to tell them that their felling are misplaced and ill conceived. Feelings are feelings and they are rarely rationalized.

My next statement may upset some people but I see no difference from waving a confederate flag in a black man's face than parading around a N@zi flag in front of a Jew. both are historical flags and both offended a large group of people.

Should we have our southern pride? Hell yea! We should also be more understanding of our other southern neighbors whom have been here as long as us.

Mark

There are many educated blacks who agree that the the Union Jack does not stand for negative conotation of slavery. I think I posted some examples already, if not I will be happy to elaborate. There are plenty uneducated whites who see the flag as a negative as well.

The dive flag we created is not the Union Jack, it is not the Confederate Flag, it is not the Confederate Battle Flag. It does bare the colors of the south and the stars and stripes associated with those colors. That's all. R

RavenC once bubbled...
It does bare the colors of the south and the stars and stripes associated with those colors. That's all. R

LOL and we are in the south... Red and White = ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! :)

steve

Hahaha

OK Go Crimson Tide. Heehee. R

RavenC once bubbled...
There are many educated blacks who agree that the the Union Jack does not stand for negative conotation of slavery. I think I posted some examples already, if not I will be happy to elaborate. There are plenty uneducated whites who see the flag as a negative as well.

The dive flag we created is not the Union Jack, it is not the Confederate Flag, it is not the Confederate Battle Flag. It does bare the colors of the south and the stars and stripes associated with those colors. That's all. R

I think you missed my point. The issue isn't the history of the flag, it is how that flag makes some people feel. Just because you and I see the flag in it's historical context, doesn't give us the right to tell people that their feeling are wrong because they see the flag from a different angle.

The civil war was fought over economic reasons and along those lines Lincoln's abolishment of slavery in the north was equally about human rights as well as a way to weaken the south. (at the time the south's economy was based around slave labor) Let's not kind ourselves into thinking that the south wasn't fighting for the right to keep slaves, at the time their livelihood depended on it. Because of this, the confederate battle flag in time came to represent the battle for continuation of the right to own another man. Regardless if this symbolic relationship was not initially intended it is the way history has interpreted it.

I guess I have gotten to far into this off topic discussion about the confederate flag.

Once again I will say I do like the flag Seajay came up with.

I do not want anyone to be offended. If anyone sees the flag and gives it a meaning of anything other than a symbol showing those that see it that the NDI Deep South Divers are located "here" then I guess we will have to regroup. But the idea was conceived so that when the DSD NDI group gathers it would signal to those looking for "us" here we are.

I hope that that is what the flag stands for and accomplishes. R

oh I wasnt implying that anyone might look at the dive flag the wrong way.

I just got stuck off topic to long:)

Hell with the social BS, lets go diving:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom