What's in a name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like that flag, too. It was actually RavenC's idea... Or rather, what I thought of when she described her idea to me (I'm not sure if I got that right or not, gorgeous... Is that what you had in mind?)

Anyway, I really, really dig it.

I'm imagining a bunch of dive flags floating down the river while we have a Scubaboard all-together drift dive... Then there's this ONE flag with a blue stripe and some stars... I just think it's too cool. :D Kinda funny, in a southern sort of way. :D

I don't think that people are really going to look at that flag and put together the whole "ohmygod I'm offended" statement. I mean, it was debatable with the actual, real flag in the first place... I don't think that anyone's going to take a "sorta looks like a Confederate flag" flag and draw up that whole baloney argument. I mean, they'd really have to stretch it even more than they already did...

Hey, look: Is anyone here offended by that dive flag?

Hey, here's an even better question... Is anyone here a descendant of a former slave? To put it more broadly, is anyone here African-American? If so... Can you give us your opinion? Do you think that this flag in these colors might draw unwanted attention? Does it offend you?

Me, personally... I don't care what color you are... But it's occurred to me, too, that the controversey that surrounded the Confederate flag might wash over to our lowly dive flag logo.

...Of course, that said, I'm not really a fan of catering to the lowest common denominator; and those that, after more than 150 years of flying that flag, suddenly ignored history and the meaning of the flag, attached their own self-proclaimed excuse for their inadequacy, and ran around telling everyone else they were offended... Well, those people are the lowest common denominator, no matter what color their skin is. It matters not to me the color; but I've drawn my conclusions about those people who sat on the steps in Columbia to protest a flag out of sheer ignorance when it was their own feelings of inadequacy that made them feel the way they do.

I believe I was working that day... And I went home with a paycheck. Those who sat and cried on the steps that the world owed them something and that the Confederate flag was somehow a symbol of that... That's just hogwash... And a very good example of how the government can be swayed by a very vocal minority interested only in playing the martyr.

I don't want to bend to those people... If I went through life worried that I might offend someone, then I'd never accomplish a thing. I say let the South show it's pride. Fly our colors.

...And for those people that it might offend... Understand that that flag represents my history - my culture. I am not offended when you show your culture; why do you have to pee on mine?

...And before you go and tell me that it was a white vs. black thing, remember that it was a black man that sold your ancestors into slavery, and it was a white man that freed them. Many of my relatives died on both sides of the Civil War.

...But frankly, that does not change your situation today, nor mine. I have worked to get what I have today, and you have too. Slavery did not happen to you, and it did not happen to me. Today, I couldn't care less what color skin you have - especially since many of us are a big mix anyway.

We need to get over this, people. Like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?" I'll stand on his side any day. This transcends color or race, and y'all need to do the same.

I say hoist the flag and dive, black brother and white brother, and enjoy what you have today that your ancestors didn't, and what my ancestors fought and died for: Freedom.

I'll agree with your post all the way SeaJay. The past is the past. The flag is a historical symbol and that's the end of it. I don't despise my mother hanging the wooden spoon in her kitchen just because I had my behind beaten with it when I was young. It made me stronger. :)

Oh and I still salute that spoon everytime I walk by it. A tear comes to my eye now that I think about it. *sniffle*

...Used my Dad. :( She'd say, "Howard, you'll never believe what YOUR son did today." Man, I'd start runnin' right then and there. :D I knew I was a dead man.

...And I suspect that it was that way in a lot of households, no matter the color or race or nationality (and the last time I looked, I was American, not "Euro-American," just like my dark-skinned friends are AMERICAN not "African-American.")

If we want to truly be free, people, then we must first be color blind.

And if you do that, then we will toil together and break bread together and dive together and be free together, as free Americans. (Well, until 9am Monday, anyway. :D)

Imagine how your great grandfather would have felt to see blacks and whites alike unite together and enjoy doing things like swimming and camping and boating and having fun together - all under a flag with Rebel colors.

It would blow his mind. And make him very proud.

Mine would be, too.

I've stepped off my soapbox and done something creative with my time... :)

1. I went in and did some "cleaning up" of the rebel dive flag that y'all liked. It now looks like this.

2. My question is this: What do you think of this rendition? The only difference is the width of the white stripe behind the blue one. It looks a little less Confederate and a little more dive flag, IMHO. I don't know that that is a good thing... I was just askin' y'all's opinion. Which do you prefer?

I think I like the first one again... The "cleaned up" original. The wider stripe behind the blue seems to lose some of the point of the Deep South part... More like it's just a dive flag with an extra stripe than a clever Southern diver thing.

The first one. The second one made me squint hard. LOL

The first one is definately what I described. Let her fly, diver down. R

SeaJay once bubbled...
[BImagine how your great grandfather would have felt to see blacks and whites alike unite together and enjoy doing things like swimming and camping and boating and having fun together - all under a flag with Rebel colors.

It would blow his mind. And make him very proud.

Mine would be, too. [/B]

I stumbled upon this thread a bit by accident and know there is a lot of heat over the meaning of this certian flag. Isnt it a bit like me suggesting you should use a british union jack as that at one time was the flag of your land

Man I didn't mean to start a huge debate on this. Just was trying to raise a valid point. Anyone whose been in the state (SC) long enough can remember the huge issue that was raised over the Columbia flag issue and just wanted to point it out so people would think on it first.:rolleyes:

I, for one, like the first one SeaJay. A little less history, a little more diving is how I see it. :) Good job!

I liked the first version of the dive flag with the stars and bar added, plus I like the version of the states made into a dive flag. Could they be made with the white strip and the stars and bar with the states as the red background? I am not into the graphics but could someone try to do that? I also like the logo Raven had.

You know this is kind of a thought I just had, but the south coastal areas, low country and the gulf are know for shrimp. How about a Bubba Shrimp for a mascot?

well every time i tried to look at the your posted flag type ideas, i kept getting a proxy error but the first picture that comes to me as a southern pride dive flag would be the standard dive flag with 13 stars in it with maybe a blue borber along the diaginal stripe, that would be kinda nice wish i was able to see your, ill try back later it may just be my computer acting up

chat later:)

erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom